• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So for those of you who tend to like Mythbusters, I'm gonna test your memory of the show for this first NFA related pop quiz. In the episode where they were testing the myth that a gunslinger could drop a coin, and then fire 5 rounds before it hit the ground, Grant built a fast-firing rig to test the myth. The rig held a period-accurate black powder 6-shooter which had its trigger continuously depressed, and was powered by a motor that cocked and released the hammer very fast, thus firing the gun as quick as the mechanism would allow. Now we all know that if you attach your 18v DeWalt to a hand-cranked gattling gun, you have created an illegal machinegun. Why did Grant and the Mythbusters NOT create an illegal machinegun with this myth?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Because the hammer still had to be cocked for each shot

Nope. The law calls it a machine gun if it fires more than one round for every pull of the trigger. The reason would have to be that the pistol was black powder, and thus not subject to NFA.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. ;)

Blessings,
    B

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Nope. The law calls it a machine gun if it fires more than one round for every pull of the trigger. The reason would have to be that the pistol was black powder, and thus not subject to NFA.

Blessings,
    B

You are more then likely right now that I think about it.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

Blessings,
    B

DING DING DING! We have a winner!
    Dang, that was quick. I'll have to think up a harder one for #2...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    DING DING DING! We have a winner!
    Dang, that was quick. I'll have to think up a harder one for #2...

OK, that's what I thought as well. So, answer me this: If I have an antique firearms, according to teh ATF, it is nto a fireamr, technically; right? So, does that mean that I could lop the barrel back on an 1889 Remington 12 ga SxS to say 12" and be legal? Not that I would do that to my lovely old shotgun, but it would be damned cool! I do happen to have an 1882 Remingtgon 10 ga that I have chopped off to a bit over 18". Talk about a flame thrower! 90gr of ffG and 1 1/4 oz of #8. Lots of smoke, lots of fire and LOTS of BOOM!

Doug K

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    OK, that's what I thought as well. So, answer me this: If I have an antique firearms, according to teh ATF, it is nto a fireamr, technically; right? So, does that mean that I could lop the barrel back on an 1889 Remington 12 ga SxS to say 12" and be legal? Not that I would do that to my lovely old shotgun, but it would be damned cool! I do happen to have an 1882 Remingtgon 10 ga that I have chopped off to a bit over 18". Talk about a flame thrower! 90gr of ffG and 1 1/4 oz of #8. Lots of smoke, lots of fire and LOTS of BOOM!

Doug K

No. Just being an antique doesn't cut it. In order to be 'not a firearm' it must be of the type that is not capable of using fixed ammunition.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    So in theory,

I could use the CNC in back, make a full auto revolver Fosbury replica, but in blackpowder (fixed, non-metallic cartridge), carry a brace of them, and RULE THE STREETS?

What am I waiting for???!!!1111!!:D:D

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    No. Just being an antique doesn't cut it. In order to be 'not a firearm' it must be of the type that is not capable of using fixed ammunition.

Thanks, Nick. that clears it up for me. I knew I would catch hell if I ever really did it, but if it were legal, man it would be cool! Oh, and thanks for highlighting my quote. Man, my spelling sucks! I have to look at the keyboard while I type and rarely proofread my posts!

Doug K

ps, I've seen some older (70's) muzzle loading SxS shotguns with like 13" barrels. Pretty cool, even though no fast reload!

Top Bottom