• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    I am posting the following here to help promote this project.

"GREENFIELD, Ind. (July 22, 2015)– A central Indiana man is on a mission to put a face to every Hoosier hero killed in the Vietnam War.
    There are about 1,500 Hoosiers named in an online memorial called ‘The Wall of Faces.’ However, some don’t have a picture.
    Over the years, and with help, retired U.S. Air Force veteran Dave Hine of Greenfield has been able to find many of the faceless veterans. Now there are only about 65 names left without pictures."

The Wall of Faces is part of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial's official vvmf.org site. I too would like to see this project succeed. If you think you, or someone you know, may have a photo of someone on the memorial I ask you to follow up on it. Even if you you cannot help that way, Hine created a Facebook page to help spread the word and you can help in this manner.

The full story and the list of names needing photos can be seen at

Indiana veteran searching for pictures of vets killed in Vietnam for memorial | WTTV CBS4Indy

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    One of the names on that list is from my town. I'm going to have to see if the highschool has any pictures, maybe the historical society in town

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    This is a good idea. I have a friends dad who is a Vietnam vet and he is not the type to talk about the war. I told her she should try to get him to film himself by himself of what happen over there for history's sake as well as he has a grandson who I know one day will want to know what happen.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I am sad but proud to say there is a memorial on the grounds of my high school near the entrance that has the names and portraits of the 6 alumni who were KIA in Vietnam. Two of the five were brothers. It is a stone similar to a headstone surrounded by pea gravel with a flagpole flying the Stars and Stripes and a POW flag. A have gone back there a couple of times since graduating and I can honestly say there must be some something in the air there as it seems to have an affect that causes my eyes to become a little blurry and I kind of get a catch in my throat !

A couple of years ago I learned the school board of my alma mater made an attempt to have the memorial removed on the basis that it cost too much to maintain. I don't live in that community anymore but it is my understanding a number of Vietnam and other vets went to a school board meeting and made it clear that taking down the memorial was not an option. The school board acquiesced and retracted their proposal.

Top Bottom