• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I just received this from Nixle, Say safe and this is why I carry at home.

Community: Victim Shot During Home Burglary
    Dear Nixle User,
    Benton County-At approximately 11:30 a.m. today, a suspect entered a home at 6709 S. 200 E. Oxford, IN and pointed a gun at the occupants and demanded money.
    The preliminary investigation by Master Trooper Detective Tim Kendall and First Sergeant Bryan Harper of the ISP Criminal Investigations Division has revealed that Robert and Thelma Glaspie were at home when an unknown suspect entered. The suspect held a gun at the head of Mr. Glaspie and demanded all his money. The suspect took an undisclosed amount of US currency and other items of value from the residence. While trying to defend himself, Mr. Glaspie was shot in the leg by the suspect. Soon after, the suspect left the residence.
    Mr. Glaspie was able to get to a phone and dialed 911 and Benton County Sheriff’s Deputies arrived, secured the scene and assisted in the transportation of Mr. Glaspie to Franciscan St. Elizabeth East in Lafayette where he is being treated for the wound to the leg. Mrs. Glaspie was not injured during the episode.
    The sheriff’s department requested ISP to investigate the crime. ISP Detectives Kendall, Harper and Crime Scene Investigator Sergeant Jerry Michalak arrived to investigate and process the crime. The investigation is continuing.
    If anyone has information to assist in the capture of the perpetrator who committed this crime, please call Master Trooper Detective Tim Kendall at 765-567-2125. This is all the information that will be released at this time. Families of the victims have been notified.
    -30-Suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. RILEY​
    Contact Information:
    Sergeant Kim Riley
    Public Information Officer for the Lafayette Post
    765-567-2125
    kriley@isp.in.gov
    For full details, view this message on the web.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    How awful! Just showed this to my wife. Hope he's ok and they catch the perp. Stay alert!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Agreed, squid.

It's unfortunate, but in this era one must keep their SA on 'high' at all times, even when in the privacy of one's own home, the ONE place folks are supposed to feel 'safe'.

A question I pose to every student is "What if someone busts through the door of your home while you're there?" The usual responses come forward, "I have (or will have) a gun in / on my nightstand", or "I keep a gun in (a certain place) in my living room", or "I have a safe room", or "I keep a shotgun behind the bedroom door". Stuff like that.

My next question comes immediately: "That's great. Now, what'll ya do if you're in the laundry room in the basement, and your nightstand gun is 2 stories up, with the perpetrator(s) now on the main floor, between those 2 levels?" Then "What if you're in the garage? The shower? On the 'throne'?" That's when I usually get the 'deer-in-the-headlights' stares.

My next comment: "Think FAST, you have 15 seconds to give me an answer! And that's MORE time than the scumbags are going to give you."

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not sure what Nixie is, but why is there no description of the perpetrator?

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    "The sheriff’s department requested ISP to investigate the crime. ISP Detectives Kendall, Harper and Crime Scene Investigator Sergeant Jerry Michalak arrived to investigate and process the crime. The investigation is continuing."

Man, if only Sergeant "Jerry Miculek"
    had arrived earlier, the perp would have had 8 holes in him in under a second!

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Agreed, squid.

It's unfortunate, but in this era one must keep their SA on 'high' at all times, even when in the privacy of one's own home, the ONE place folks are supposed to feel 'safe'.

A question I pose to every student is "What if someone busts through the door of your home while you're there?" The usual responses come forward, "I have (or will have) a gun in / on my nightstand", or "I keep a gun in (a certain place) in my living room", or "I have a safe room", or "I keep a shotgun behind the bedroom door". Stuff like that.

My next question comes immediately: "That's great. Now, what'll ya do if you're in the laundry room in the basement, and your nightstand gun is 2 stories up, with the perpetrator(s) now on the main floor, between those 2 levels?" Then "What if you're in the garage? The shower? On the 'throne'?" That's when I usually get the 'deer-in-the-headlights' stares.

My next comment: "Think FAST, you have 15 seconds to give me an answer! And that's MORE time than the scumbags are going to give you."

Exactly! Unless you have a gun staged on each floor, or better yet in each room, you may have difficulty getting to one when you need one. I like to keep my firearms locked up in a safe(s). That way with a break-in when I'm not home they are less susceptible to being stolen, hopefully they won't have enough time with the alarm going off to get into the safes. I carry when at home. Just a kahr CM-9, nothing big, but I can react instantly should someone break in violently, giving me a chance to get to a long gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Exactly! Unless you have a gun staged on each floor, or better yet in each room, you may have difficulty getting to one when you need one. I like to keep my firearms locked up in a safe(s). That way with a break-in when I'm not home they are less susceptible to being stolen, hopefully they won't have enough time with the alarm going off to get into the safes. I carry when at home. Just a kahr CM-9, nothing big, but I can react instantly should someone break in violently, giving me a chance to get to a long gun.

Even each room may be too far. A person may not have time to get up from the couch and cross the room to get what they stashed.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    This link gives possible leads on vehicles/trailer and says they believe a shotgun and many 22 rifles were taken.

Man shot during Benton County home invasion Sunday afternoon

A man was shot in the leg about 1 p.m. Sunday during an armed home invasion near Oxford.
    The man was trying to defend himself and his wife from the intruder when he was shot, according to Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley. His wife was unharmed.
    The man managed to dial 911, prompting sheriff's deputies to respond to the scene in the 6700 block of Benton County Road 200 East. Deputies secured the scene and transported the injured victim to St. Elizabeth East in Lafayette for treatment before calling ISP to lead the investigation.
    The armed robber escaped with cash and other valuables. Police scanner traffic indicates that officers believe a shotgun and several .22 rifles were stolen from the residence.
    Emergency dispatchers confirmed that authorities are looking for two vehicles in connection with the incident: a tan Ford Explorer pulling a black trailer and a 1990s model white Ford Ranger with a male driver and female passenger.
    Anyone with information is asked to contact ISP Master Trooper Detective Tim Kendall at 765-567-2125.
    Read or Share this story: Man shot during Benton County home invasion Sunday afternoon

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    This happened about 5 miles from my house. I haven't heard any updates on descriptions of the perps, but I would not be surprised to find that they have ties to the community. Strange location for a random robbery. The victim, Mr. Glaspie, lives near the Benton/Warren County line, a few miles off of SR55. To me, this sounds like a burglary that was planned, with the expectation of no one being home. ( who tows a trailer around , to do a random home invasion?) Definitely lots of learning points here. The wife and I have discussed this event extensively. Unfortunately for the victim, he's an 89 year old man. Probably didn't even hear them til it was too late. And if he had any warning at all, unable to move quickly enough to arm himself.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I live close to where this took place and could hear the sirens coming through town after church Sunday. The victims son lives a few houses down and I have not had the chance to speak with him, my prayers will be with them. The wife and I have locked all doors to our home and garage. The white 1990's ford ranger they mention in above post I saw a few weeks ago for sale on 52 right before Klondike road going into west Lafayette and have seen it around 2-3pm between Montmorency and Otterbein with temporary tags on it. I'll give the Isp trooper a call and hope my little bit of info helps.

Top Bottom