• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    What would you honestly recommend I’m not a small guy (5’11 260) and I have experience shooting 9mm, .380, .357, .45, .223 but I’m having trouble like choosing a first gun I want something reliable that isn’t gonna break the bank this will be the first pistol I will conceal carry. Was thinking about hitting up a gun show so I have more variety but I just wanna get a general idea maybe even throw out what you guys carry

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    Carry Langdon HK P30. Lots of good guns, dozens now, number of options is mind-boggling now.

Rental range near you? Buddies?

Training is to the pistol as 3 is to 1.
    Most of my buddies are under age and I don’t think the rental range will rent to me since I am under 21. I’ll have my LTCH soon I just went and did my finger prints so I was gonna buy site supporter or go to a gun show

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Everyone will have an opinion. I liked carrying a da/sa but now carry a P365XL as it is light and easy to carry. I am 6’3” and 200lbs. Big guns make my pants want to fall down. LOL

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Carry Langdon HK P30 or Glock 43X. Lots of good guns, dozens now, number of options is mind-boggling now.

Rental range near you? Buddies?

Training is to the pistol as 3 is to 1.
    This. FInd a range with a rental wall. Most will sell you the time, but its not per gun, its per lane. So you can shoot one, bring it back and swap to another, etc until you find what works for you.

But ask before you start. Not all ranges with rental walls will do that.

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    Everyone will have an opinion. I liked carrying a da/sa but now carry a P365XL as it is light and easy to carry. I am 6’3” and 200lbs. Big guns make my pants want to fall down. LOL
    I have been considering a SIG just something so appealing about them. I haven’t carried anything but what would you consider like “big”.

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    This. FInd a range with a rental wall. Most will sell you the time, but its not per gun, its per lane. So you can shoot one, bring it back and swap to another, etc until you find what works for you.

But ask before you start. Not all ranges with rental walls will do that.
    Hmmm this could be promising might have to bring one of my buddies that is 21 I wonder if they’ll let me shoot tho since I’m under 21

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    I cc a gen 3 Glock 20 basically all year. If you can't tell by the name I'm a 10mm nut. Not everyone wants to carry a boat anchor though. I recommend finding an m&p, Glock, or CZ in 9mm at your local gun shop. Choose whichever one fits your hand best, try them all. Hell, if the canik fits you best, get it. You want something comfortable for you that you like for fit and form. At the end of the day you aren't going to carry something you don't like. Also, you don't have to buy the first thing you see or even the first time you visit. If you see something you like but don't know about, go home and watch YouTube reviews and read articles. Read about the problems etc. I recommend 9mm because it's cheap and plentiful. The more you shoot the more comfortable you'll be with your piece and that makes everything better. Just my $.02

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hmmm this could be promising might have to bring one of my buddies that is 21 I wonder if they’ll let me shoot tho since I’m under 21
    Maybe. A lot if it is in presentation.

If you show up in hoodrat gear, pants sagging, and acting like an idiot, probably not. But if you come off as responsible, mature, and well behaved, they probably will allow it.

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    I cc a gen 3 Glock 20 basically all year. If you can't tell by the name I'm a 10mm nut. Not everyone wants to carry a boat anchor though. I recommend finding an m&p, Glock, or CZ in 9mm at your local gun shop. Choose whichever one fits your hand best, try them all. Hell, if the canik fits you best, get it. You want something comfortable for you that you like for fit and form. At the end of the day you aren't going to carry something you don't like. Also, you don't have to buy the first thing you see or even the first time you visit. If you see something you like but don't know about, go home and watch YouTube reviews and read articles. Read about the problems etc. I recommend 9mm because it's cheap and plentiful. The more you shoot the more comfortable you'll be with your piece and that makes everything better. Just my $.02
    Thanks I haven’t shot a 10mm yet but I did hold my buddies M&P 10mm that thang was chonky very intimidating pistol IMO. How does that recoil compare to a .45?

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    Cool thing about the P365 is if you end up not liking the grip size, you can buy an X-size grip module from Sig, take the fire control unit out, and plop it in the new grip module. Boom, P365X.
    Lmao. Honestly though that’s why I’ve been looking at some glocks and PSA daggers bc of the interchangeability and modifications I feel like I could build it to my exact liking.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    IMHO the best bang for your buck is a PSA Dagger, Glock 19 or 19X size with improved ergos. I've carried one for over a year after switching from a G19. BUT shoot a few different models to make a decision don't go on blind opinions. Also probably even more important, when you've made your decision and purchase TRAIN. There's a lot more involved than grabbing a holster on the bay of E and shoving a loaded mag in the pistol.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I made a mistake with my first. It was likea mail order bride on my part. Saw allot of pictures and heard allot of good things but that did not turn into a long term relationship.

My point is supporting what most are saying here. TEST DRIVE As many as you can. Get a feel for the many different grips, the weight of the firearm, how it recoils, how easy it a take down, plastic versus steel are just SOME of the things one should consider. Another big consideration is how you plan to carry it, how will it feel on your hip for hours at a time.

Take a bit of time and do it right. You’ll be glad you do.

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    I made a mistake with my first. It was likea mail order bride on my part. Saw allot of pictures and heard allot of good things but that did not turn into a long term relationship.

My point is supporting what most are saying here. TEST DRIVE As many as you can. Get a feel for the many different grips, the weight of the firearm, how it recoils, how easy it a take down, plastic versus steel are just SOME of the things one should consider. Another big consideration is how you plan to carry it, how will it feel on your hip for hours at a time.

Take a bit of time and do it right. You’ll be glad you do.
    Gonna put a lot of round and about of training into it I wanna be prepared for whatever I can

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    IMHO the best bang for your buck is a PSA Dagger, Glock 19 or 19X size with improved ergos. I've carried one for over a year after switching from a G19. BUT shoot a few different models to make a decision don't go on blind opinions. Also probably even more important, when you've made your decision and purchase TRAIN. There's a lot more involved than grabbing a holster on the bay of E and shoving a loaded mag in the pistol.
    I also think the PSA is the best but I’m gonna try to shoot whatever I can and try out a few different triggers and grips

Top Bottom