• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I need to smoke a 12# venison roast this weekend, and am looking for some wisdom. I will be using an electric smoker, and have plenty of time. I've smoked the usual prime rib, ribs & pork butts, but never venison. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If your going low and slow wrap in bacon. Someone better than I will chime in but I normally cook things with low fat count seared to trap in the fat and make it moist.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I dry rub mine then wrap in thick pepper bacon. I put over top of a bowl with 3-4 beers in it , smoke with a mixture of wild cherry , hickory , and white/red oak. Shred and BBQ then smoke it for another hour or so.

Unbelievable

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    You almost might be better off splitting that in half and smoking it. Venison is lean and chances of drying it out before it cooks properly are pretty good. You may also consider sprit zing it every so often but apple juice may be too sweet.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I saw a recipe where they cut it and put butter in it to help with the dryness. That is my concern. I would hate to end up with jerky when it's all said & done.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    We smoke whole front shoulders every single year. Smoke it for around 4 hours at anywhere from 200 to 250 degrees. We like oak wood. The prep is a simple rub. No bacon, no nothing.

The key is to then braise it. We put the shoulder in a large foil pan and add in about a cup of liquid. Typically apple cider vinegar, apple juice mix. Cover tightly with foil and put back on the smoker (or in the oven if you have to) for another couple of hours at the same temp range. Usually after foiled for another 3-4 hours you will have it falling apart and still somewhat moist with a nice amount of smoke.

One of my favorite prep methods.

Top Bottom