• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7orelevn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ok fellow INGO'ers. I have a big decision on my hands and I wanted a second...or third......or fourth opinion. I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 140K free and clear (the good news). The bad news is it needs 1500.00 in body and front end suspension work. New tires needed as well. So here is the really bad news. My mechanic says the engine is "Seized up". I have been researching re-built, and used engines. They range anywhere from the 600.00 to 2000.00 range. So do I spend the possiable 4K for the Jeep repairs and hope for the best or just walk away.....?? :dunno: Any ideas on engine work or where to get a good one would be great. Thanks and have great day !!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Y'all be real careful, now.

My mechanic towed in a pick up from another place that had a "locked-up" engine. He found out the alternator was seized and the starter wouldn't turn the engine over against the resistance of the alternator through the serpentine belt. He replaced the alternator and saved the guy lots of green. Now maybe your mechanic is as good as mine, maybe not. Just sayin'...

However, When the engine in my van went bad, several people recommended Jasper engines. And, in fact, that engine never gave me any trouble. About three months after I replaced the engine, the transmission needed rebuilding. If you do the engine, I would recommend replacing the engine and transmission as one unit.

If it was me, I'd look at how much I really liked this vehicle and it's book value after repairs, and I'd inquire about what a dealer would give me for it as it sits in trade for a new or newer vehicle. I kept a car for ten years, once and I really liked it, but when I replaced it I found out how much cars had improved and really liked the newer one much better. And, you may have other maintenance issues. On my last van, I had to replace brake lines that were rusted through. I sold it when the mechanic told me the spring shackles were rusting so bad that they would need replaced, soon. You may have a lot of other repairs waiting down the line.

Be sure to ask about warranties for the engine (and transmission, if you include that) and labor to install the replacement engine if the first one is bad.

If you really love this one and are willing to pay much $ to make it run, go for it. Just make sure you consider all the costs.

Good Luck.:)

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Really depends on your financial situation. If you have the 4k cash I would sell the jeep (scrap value at a junkyard should be around 500 or more) and get something else.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If I had the cash, I'd consider doing it...but you need to probably do the tranny and rear end too while you have it all apart. I would not borrow money to ever fix a car.

My vehicles are paid for, but we put $200 a month in a savings account that is earmarked for repairs or new used vehicle purchase. I hate having a car payment.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Walk away...no wait...RUN!

With everything that it needs right now.....in addition to the fact that the transmission is on borrowed time, do yourself a favor and stop bailing water and get another vehicle.

Been in parts and service ten years, and while the 4.0 is a good engine, the rest of the chrysler drivetrain is garbage...after the front end is fixed, the differential will go, after the diff, the transmission will go...etc.etc.etc.

$.02
    God bless
    -Shred

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    If you have good credit, get to a Honda dealer, my preference is Honda West (INDY), and buy a car which will be worry free for years. They will sell new units just above cost with super financing, and you'll have a vehicle, if you take care of it, forever. Sure it's a payment, but it's not like some cars, where you get it paid off, and you start looking for a new one. It'll last far beyond where the payments end. JMO

You'd be surprised-your new Honda will probably have been assembled right here in the US by American workers.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    If you have good credit, get to a Honda dealer, my preference is Honda West (INDY), and buy a car which will be worry free for years. They will sell new units just above cost with super financing, and you'll have a vehicle, if you take care of it, forever. Sure it's a payment, but it's not like some cars, where you get it paid off, and you start looking for a new one. It'll last far beyond where the payments end. JMO

You'd be surprised-your new Honda will probably have been assembled right here in the US by American workers.

My civic currently has 210K and counting.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My civic currently has 210K and counting.
    '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 216K. Never used a drop of oil, tranny strong. I put about $1,200 in it recently to bring it up to Bug Out condition. That includeded a transfer case I broke playing around, new set of GOOD tires, heater ATC module, and Systems monitor system in the dash.
    I also rebuilt the front end on mine.
    I love my Jeep. 5.2 V8 fully loaded w/all the goodies. Heated mirrors, seats, auto light dimmers, auto temp/climate control, everything full power.
    I've also got a '97 Grand Cherokee Limited that's a beater I take off road hunting, fishing, shooting, playing in the dirt, etc. 200K on it and runs perfect still. I've just beat it to death and it's got a lot of "character bumps and bruises"
    IF you're a Jeep person it's worth having a good Jeep. IF you shop around I'm pretty sure you can beat that price given you.
    There's a lot of 300K jeeps running around.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    i would not finance another vehicle ever. If you love the jeep, get it fixed. You should shop around for the best price. What ind of trouble was it giving you before the engine seized up?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had an AC compressor that seized up, and any time I'd clutch it in it would actually stall the engine when it was already running, so it's definitely possible for the serpentine to kill it. Take the belt off and see if it turns over before you change the engine. It's nice to keep stuff running, but my benchmark on cars is I won't spend more on it than the blue book, because I'm pretty sure I could get something functional for less.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    It's a Jeep, why get anything else? If you like it keep it, if you don't, sell it. $4K for him to do it, how much to do it yourself?

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Car payments suck

New car=$15000 +or-
    Financed=pay for it twice and still wear it out.
    Fix it= $4000 if the diagnosis is correct. Cheapest option.
    I'd fix it. Double check that engine. If it didn't give you any indication b4 you went to see the Mech I'd be suspicious of that diagnosis. Definitely fix the front end. That stuff can break and kill you w/o warning.

THEN start paying yourself a car payment. Say $300 a month, maybe. Then the next time something major breaks you'll either have enough money to fix it or you can have another paid for car and sell the old one to somebody else who wants to fix it.:yesway:

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Get a second opinion, or put a wrench on it yourself and see if it really is locked up.

If it is, sell it for $250-$500 and find yourself a $1500-$2500 vehicle (they are out there) and then do what the post above says...pay yourself and when it's time for a newer/better vehicle, you will have the cash to pay for it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Front end is most likely the long support rod and outer tie rod end.
    Long rod is $90 at O'reillys and tie rod end is $19.00. In stock at all stores. All 3 of my Cherokees have needed the same parts.
    CV joints are $69.00 at Indy rack and axle.
    The 4.0 "if that's what you've got" is a tank and unless you haven't changed oil fairly regularly usually hold up fine but anything can break at any time. Lots of good low mileage used motors around IF you don't want to put out the $ for rebuilt etc.
    Trannys on the Jeeps (automatic) use type +4 fluid and if the type 3 is used they'll seem mushy after they warm up good. I had mine changed for regular maintenance and it didn't like type 3 at all. When I asked what fluid they used they said type 3 and had to argue with the shop to get 4 put in. It worked perfect again.
    There's a Jeep forum with any info you need on your cherokee. Lots of parts available in Indy. Used, rebuilt, and new. Shop around and they're very affordable. Stay away from the Dealerships and some garages.
    You've got to shop around.
    Best of luck.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    +1 to getting another opinion. My neighbor recently told me the engine on his car locked up. I went over to take a look at it with him. Just to check, I took the serpentine belt off in case an accessory was locked up. Nope - engine still locked solid. So he took it to a GOOD mechanic that he has used for a long time. That guy found out that the intake manifold leaked coolant into a cylinder. It hydro-locked. The neighbor got his car fixed up for a few hundred.

Get your vehicle checked out by someone else to find out why it is locked up. It still may be simple.

I drive old, high mileage cars BUT I do all of my own work. That means I can afford to do all of the stuff mentioned on this thread. If you don't do your own work the cost of the labor is prohibitive IMO. Also, if you plan to rebuild the engine and entire drive train plus body work this sounds like a restoration project that might take months if you do it yourself. That is a luxury you may not be able to afford in time and money. What will you drive while restoring your Jeep? Paying someone to do all that work would cost thousands of dollars that could have been put down on a new or newer vehicle.

One more thing - even if you restore the Jeep, it is still an old vehicle that will require your attention as things "fall off". There are a lot of things that just happen to old cars that you will have to deal with as they come up - rusted brake lines, rusted gas tanks, rusted floors, broken springs, worn out steering gear, etc. Those kinds of repairs can add up to a car payment every month on an older vehicle. At some point is stops making sense financially to keep the car.

If you do your own work and love the Jeep - fix it.
    If you must pay to have the work done and don't really love this Jeep - replace it.

Like others have said, that's my 2 cents.

Top Bottom