• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Any recommendations? Mainly going to be used for sous vide and storing smoked meat but I feel as if some of you guys have experience with them? Is it best to just get the cheap foodsaver for $50 or is it better to spend $200-$300 range.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I blew up my cheap food saver on my second deer. I went out and bought a game saver G500 and it has held up through some serious use. .

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    A couple years ago I bought a FoodSaver 4400 on sale at a great price (don't remember, somewhere north of $120). I have used it on wet and dry food both raw and cooked with no problems at all. Recently I pulled out 18 month old chicken from the freezer, let it thaw in the fridge and it worked out like I had bought it that day.

I don't know what the difference is between the two models, they're made by the same company are priced the similarly.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Had a Foodsaver for many years, it's used mostly with the salad greens containers these days.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I bought a vacuum sealer from a company called IMPAK. The small sealer is $99.00 and will use most bags available. Check out a youtube channel called "Imstillworking." She does a pretty good review about this sealer. I am happy with it. I found out that foodsaver bags can cost .50 EACH or more. I just bought IMPAC bags (6"x10") for .09.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I bought a vacuum sealer from a company called IMPAK. The small sealer is $99.00 and will use most bags available. Check out a youtube channel called "Imstillworking." She does a pretty good review about this sealer. I am happy with it. I found out that foodsaver bags can cost .50 EACH or more. I just bought IMPAC bags (6"x10") for .09.

:yesway:

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I bought a vacuum sealer from a company called IMPAK.

Interesting. Im trying to price out vs generic food saver bags/rolls on amazon. How much was shipping for your bag order from Sorben?

Also how does that Impak do with moist and wet items? will Liquid nuke it or is it fairly safe if an accident happens?

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought a GameSaver on sale when Gander Mountain closed out. Had no real experience with them and a lot of questions! My question now is why I waited so long??? The main differences I can see in price is the size of bag the unit will handle, and robustness of the mechanics. I've mostly used the basic bags from a few different sources, so far not a lot of difference that I can see in terms of long term food storage. Choice of units: in addition to sealing all manner of bags, Foodsaver seems to have the most options and accessories, and the more I use mine the more uses I find for it. They have a nifty little gadget that will seal mason jars, both wide mouth and regular, using (and, so far, reusing) the regular lids. Time will tell but for now, So Long, Pantry moths!!

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I bit the bullet and spent the money on a chamber vac machine. Right at $500 but bags are under a penny each if you buy 1000. I can vac seal a bag of water and it will seal every time. I kept having issues with my other vac sealer not sealing because of liquids getting in the seal bar area.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I think shipping was about $12. Last summer I put up 60 ears of sweet corn. There was a puddle of corn milk on the table but didn't cause a problem. I read later that is best to freeze liquids first before sealing.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Only problem I have had was with cheap baby carrots I bought on sale. I didn't blanch them before freezing, they were disgusting. I have packed fresh roosters and chickens still on bone. I have done chili,gravy, shredded bbq pork. I have used foodsaver bags and cheap bags. I haven't noticed a difference. I buy yhe roll and cut to the size I need. You may have to clean the foam gasket occasionally also.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I have the Foodsaver, it works but I have to push down on the lid in order for it to draw a vacuum. Really more of an annoyance than anything. That said, vacuum sealing is the way to go for freezing anything.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    So I ended up get the IMPAK variant, I'm not overly impressed? Maybe for dry goods but I'm having a hell of a time with raw meats. I ended up ordering generic food saver roll w/ channels thinking it'd work but they dont get enough suction.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I started with clearance Foodsaver models $22 + $5 shipping (bought 3 more after the first.) I initially bought it for vacuum sealing canning jars with the accessory port and jar attachment. Didn't take long to find decent priced bags in bulk on Amazon with great reviews.

Some time after that, the same overstock sort of company had the nicer model with bag storage/cutter on board. That's a game changer, only way to go.

I just vac/sealed 5#'s of turkey a minute ago. Tomorrow, I'll do the same to the turkey stock and fat cubes that are in the freezer now.

What have you done this week to prep?

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I bit the bullet and spent the money on a chamber vac machine.

Chamber type is the way to go if you will be sealing a variety of materials and/or high volume. I have an ARY and a 3M, but have seen others do just fine.

I've not seen a difference between various Foodsavers that have showed up at camps and thus would look for a deal rather than a specific model.

Top Bottom