• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    I have looked through the rulebooks, and see no mention of PCR's, so I pose this question: Why doesn't USPSA have a Pistol Caliber Rifle classification? After doing a couple of USPSA events at the end of this year, it seems like it would be a lot of fun to run the same handgun courses with a PCR. Just wondering if it's a velocity issue, if the demand just isn't there, or it's not practical in other means.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have looked through the rulebooks, and see no mention of PCR's, so I pose this question: Why doesn't USPSA have a Pistol Caliber Rifle classification? After doing a couple of USPSA events at the end of this year, it seems like it would be a lot of fun to run the same handgun courses with a PCR. Just wondering if it's a velocity issue, if the demand just isn't there, or it's not practical in other means.

The title of the rule book says it all... "USPSA Handgun Competition Rules." This is the rule book the handgun matches are run under. Matches for rifles (pistol cal or rifle cal) are run under the rifle or multi-gun rule books.

I know that sounds like a technicality but there are practical reasons, too. The handgun rule book does not address things like gun handling between stages for long guns, slinging, equipment rules, or rifle power-factor, for example.

Now.... that said.... I used to shoot at a couple of clubs that a couple times a year would hold un-sanctioned pistol-cal rifle matches along with the pistol matches. You could sign up for one or the other. If shooting with a long gun, there would be some additional longer-range targets on the stages. There were no equipment rules. It was a lot of fun. The downside is it watered down the pistol match. But a couple times per year it was cool.

-rvb

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    We did a 22 pistol and then a 22 rifle / pistol type USPSA match this year for fun. Attendance was very low. Though I must say it was a blast for those of us who did show up. PCR could be fun too. As RVB said as a real match this would fall under multi-gun. Not sure how it would go over as a whole match. I will throw it out for consideration next year, maybe we can work it in on an off weekend or as a side match.

Now who will let me borrow their PCR?

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sweet idea

I would love to see the local matches have an "unofficial" class for Pistol Caliber Rifles (PCR's) too. They would just need to have people chamber flag their guns when carrying them from stage to stage (just like USPSA multigun), and pick a magazine limit (i.e. 30 rounds, if any). I think it would be fun to run it just like Tactical class (optics allowed) and score major and minor like Limited class (i.e. .40 or greater = major, 9mm, 38 sp. = minor).

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I would love to see the local matches have an "unofficial" class for Pistol Caliber Rifles (PCR's) too. They would just need to have people chamber flag their guns when carrying them from stage to stage (just like USPSA multigun), and pick a magazine limit (i.e. 30 rounds, if any). I think it would be fun to run it just like Tactical class (optics allowed) and score major and minor like Limited class (i.e. .40 or greater = major, 9mm, 38 sp. = minor).

I would be all over this like white on rice...

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    We did a 22 pistol and then a 22 rifle / pistol type USPSA match this year for fun. Attendance was very low.
    I almost bought a P22 and 10/22 just for this event! In the end, my better sense talked me out of it. Next year, anything goes!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Pistol caliber rifles fall into the same category as other rifles. You see them frequently in 3-gun and multi-gun matches. You need to make the minimum power factor for minor (150 for rifle) and that's about it.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Pistol caliber rifles fall into the same category as other rifles. You see them frequently in 3-gun and multi-gun matches. You need to make the minimum power factor for minor (150 for rifle) and that's about it.
    The course of fire is different however, isn't it? I knew that "rifle" by USPSA standards didn't really have a caliber requirement. I am looking forward to some 3-gun and multi-gun, but my understanding was that they are different courses of fire and I was wondering about using the same pistol course of fire.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    We did a 22 pistol and then a 22 rifle / pistol type USPSA match this year for fun. Attendance was very low. Though I must say it was a blast for those of us who did show up. PCR could be fun too. As RVB said as a real match this would fall under multi-gun. Not sure how it would go over as a whole match. I will throw it out for consideration next year, maybe we can work it in on an off weekend or as a side match.

Now who will let me borrow their PCR?

Mark,

I had a blast at the two-gun match this year. Maybe next year you could have one stage where the shooter has to use both the pistol and the rifle... Just thinkin' out loud here... :twocents:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The course of fire is different however, isn't it? I knew that "rifle" by USPSA standards didn't really have a caliber requirement. I am looking forward to some 3-gun and multi-gun, but my understanding was that they are different courses of fire and I was wondering about using the same pistol course of fire.

Not really, especially here in Indiana (b/c of range capacity, mostly). You may encounter different targets (reduced paper, clays, etc.) and a switching guns (multi-gun only). But from a move/shoot perspective - no difference.

The PCR fits into 3-gun/multi-gun rules. It does not fit into handgun/pistol rules.

Top Bottom