• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    First, this post is about whether or not the rounds I tested reliably went BANG when I squeezed the trigger in various handguns. It’s NOT about how “hot” the primers are, pressure, velocity, safety, or which is “best” for a particular application. It’s not about what others should/shouldn’t do. I’m simply sharing my recent observations, and hope that this is helpful for others.

In the 16 or so years I’ve been handloading, I tried to buy supplies at a LGS when possible, and they were always out of something. Early on, I was told, by multiple sources I trusted, that Small Rifle primers worked fine in pistol ammo like 9mm. I generally bought CCI #400, CCI #500, and some Winchester WSR depending on what was in stock. These all went BANG when they were supposed to. Performance on target seemed the same, and I saw no danger signs when inspecting the spent primers and cases.

It also needs mentioned that the handguns involved were: Browning Hi-Power, Ruger GP100, Beretta 92 (9mm), and whatever friends brought to the range.

In early 2020 (just before the market went nuts), I took inventory, and thought I had plenty of primers except for Large Pistol. I decided to order these online, and added additional Small Rifle “just in case” (since already paying the hazmat fee). Federal Match AR SR primers (FMAR I’ll call them) were on sale and in stock, so I grabbed 5K for 5.56 and 300 BLK in AR’s.

When primers started become virtually unobtainable, and I watched my stash shrinking, I started to think about the Fed. Match AR primers for 9mm. I knew these were designed to avoid slam-fires etc., and knew these needed testing in all my handguns. (When it comes to firearms, if it’s not reliable and reasonably accurate, I don’t want it in the house.) I’ve also added my first striker-fired pistols, a Sig P365 and P365XL, and felt that these may not strike with the authority of the BHP or GP100.

I loaded 200 9mm, 124g PRN, 6.7g HS-6, FMAR primers. I also grabbed similar handloads with CCI #500 and Win. WSR primers, and headed to the range. I’m very glad I tested, and that I stopped at 200!

Here’s a breakdown of my observations by gun:

Browning Hi-Powers (x2)
    I started with the BHPs, and won’t break it down because they ate everything I fed them, and went BANG every single time.

Beretta 92
    CCI #500 – 100% reliable
    WSR – 95%. 1 misfire out of 20, and it when off when I hit it again (double action).
    FMAR – 70% 6 misfires, and all went off the second time. 1 of these needed to be ejected and rechambered.

Sig P365XL
    CCI #500 – 100% reliable
    WSR – 75-80% 4 or 5 (can’t recall) did not ignite. All did ignite the second time through.
    FMAR – 0% CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK!!! I manually worked the slide through 10 rounds, and NOT ONE WENT BANG! I fed them back through, and a couple went off, the rest didn’t. I threw in the towel.

I went home and marked any ammo loaded with WSR “BHP ONLY” in bold letters. The remaining FMAR rounds are set aside and marked for the BHPs also, and I’ll burn these up before I forget about them.

On the next range trip, I took handloads, all with CCI #400 SR primers.

BHP – yawn, everything fired as expected.
    Beretta 92 – 100% for 50 rounds. Since I had been using these primers with this pistol for years, I’m confident they’ll work reliably.
    Sig P365XL – 100% for 100 rds. I’m pretty sure that there were a few hundred others before I was paying attention that were #400’s as well, so I’m okay with this combo.
    Sig P365 – 100 % I only went through 40 with #400 this test, but I’m pretty sure these are good-to-go also.

Lastly, I recently picked up a Sig P226 (after wanting one for 30 years). Back to the range:
    CCI#400 – 100% for 170 rds
    WSR – 1 misfire out of 30, and it went off hitting it again DA.
    FMAR - 7 misfires out of 40. 5 went off the second time, 1 the third, and 1 I pulled the trigger at lease 5 times and it would not ignite.

I get that this was not a thorough, scientific test; and it says nothing about the suitability of a given primer for the task, even if it went bang. That wasn’t my goal. I did get what I was after, and my take-away is this:

CCI #500 and #550 - All my pistols are reliable with these. This goes into all my “defense” stash until they run out.
    CCI #400 - reliable in all my pistols, and I’ll use them for range ammo without hesitation (and I’ve got more of these), and SHTF ammo if needed without real concern.
    WSR – reliable in the BHP (and likely any strong hammer fired gun like the GP100). I’ll still use them in my .357 Mag rounds as needed. Not so interchangeable as I once thought. Hey, take ‘em to the range and practice malfunction drills a few times.
    FMAR – I’m going to keep these for AR ammo, as they were intended. Even in a SHTF scenario, using these for 9mm handloads is just wasting precious primers.

Please don’t think I’m complaining, or bashing the WSR and FMAR primers! Nothing is further from the truth. In fact, I’m a little bit pleased to confirm that the “AR” primers are not just marketing hype B.S. The manufacturers clearly labeled these as SMALL RIFLE, and I’m the one using them ‘not as intended’. I’ll find plenty of empty 5.56 and 300 Blk cases to shove them in! However, it’s nice to know what I can get by with, especially in conditions like we’ve had the past couple of years.

Sorry this was long. I hope somebody finds it helpful while they stare at their dwindling stack of primers and think about changing things up.

Tackdriver

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Some good info ! Side note I tried to run some wolf srp mags in 9mm with my g19 and it was a no-go. Bout 1 in 5 would go off
    Not sure how hard glocks strike primers compared to other guns , unfortunately all my 9mm's are glocks buddy of mine ran them out of a 1911 and they worked fine

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    I've been doing the same kind of thing, but with revolvers and Rifles. I spend more time plinking with "cowboy" guns.

Rifle primers work fine in all my handgun cartridge rifles. Winchester, Marlin, Rossi.

They have also been completely reliable in Ruger single actions, but not Colt or Colt clones.

Top Bottom