• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    So I am wondering about using my Lone Wolf 9mm replacement barrel on my Glock 23 as an everyday carry option. Before anyone says it, I know I can just get a 17 or 19 but I have personal attachment to this gun being that it is the first gun I bought and have owned it now for 18 years. Most people that I shoot with carry 9mm and we are all looking at consolidating our ammo to make bulk purchases more consistent and in a SHTF situation easier to have access to a common ammo. But my concern is, would changing the barrel out be as safe and reliable as my Glock barrel? I would hate to be in a situation where I needed to use it and have a malfunction due to it being a replacement barrel. Does anyone have experience in changing the barrel out and using it as an everyday carry? I have used it at the range with range ammo several times and never had an issue but have not use personal protection ammo. Thanks for any input.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I did the same thing with my Glock 22. Basically made it into a Glock 17 and I couldn't be happier about it. You will however need 9mm mags... you can either go with Glock mags or Magpul Glock Pmags. I went with the Pmags since I found a good deal on them at the time.

As for reliability, I haven't had any problems out of mine, but I haven't ran a bunch of different bullet profiles through it either.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Most report good experiences with the LW conversion barrels. I just bought one for a G22 which I plan to test. The bottom line is that it will never be reliable until proven so, the evidence is that it will be but you've got to prove it for yourself. The reputation on these barrels led me to buy one expecting that it would work well.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I use an aftermarket 9mm barrel in my Glock 22. It's ILMG and not Lone Wolf but very similar. As has been mentioned above I had to purchase 9mm magazines. I think I have less than 150.00 in the barrel and mags. Way cheaper than purchasing a Glock 17 and it functions flawlessly. I would not hesitate to carry the Glock 22 with the 9mm barrel now that it has been thoroughly tested. YMMV

klrbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    I have a Glock 35 with a lone wolf 9mm barrel that I bought just to make it a two caliber gun. The results were excellent and I ended up buying a 9mm barrel and a 40s&w barrel for my Glock 31. Now I want a 357sig barrel for my 35. (I have a problem). I do like the options of various calibers using the same gun. I also have two Advantage Arms 22 conversion kits...I really do have a problem.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    For best results you'll also need a 9mm ejector. It will run as a 9mm with the current ejector, but based on my experience you will have occasional extraction issues without it. YMMV...

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Ok, thanks. I have a couple promag magazines that I used at the range and bought a couple MagPul mags to test. Now as far as the ejector, what about if I switch back to the .40SW, will it still work? I like that option and as I said, with the group I am in, a common caliber will go a long way.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I did nothing but the barrel and mags in my 23, and it has been boringly reliable. I even run it suppressed and have had no issue.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My very recent experience with this exact conversion is a great success after it got tweaked a bit. I was having 100% failures to EXTRACT (of course they didn't eject, they were still in the chamber) after swapping the barrel and magazines only. USDS hooked me up with a G19 recoil spring and new extractor and the gun now runs perfectly as a 9mm. The new extractor has a longer claw to engage 9mm cases which are slightly smaller than the .40 case.

IMO, this is a great conversion.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I ran my conversion for at least 500 rds with absolutely ZERO issues. Its a solid option. I only traded my 23 for a 19 because I couldnt run the setup as a SSP in IDPA. (even though for all practical purposes it was equivalent)

IMHO if you are having any issues with it there is one of 3 issues: Your extractor isnt 100%, your Barrel has a defect, or you forgot to buy G19 mags to use with the barrel and are trying to run 9 in a 40 mag.

Im a purist and wont carry that combo for EDC myself, but I found nothing in my setup that would make me thing it wouldnt work reliably.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I have an old department gun G22 that I have converted over to a 9mm. I did put a complete 9mm ignition in it along with a Lone Wolf threaded barrel. It makes an awesome suppressor host.

Top Bottom