• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Urban GHB or more accurately get me to my truck

I have an outing coming up that will take place in a downtown Indy, where I will be living out of a hotel for about 2 weeks. I want to carry a smaller bag with some essentials that will aide in getting me back to my truck the rest of my Bug out gear will be. I will only ever be a few blocks to a ½ mile away from my truck. Due to the event I will be attending being discreet will be of the utmost importance. I am only going to plan for civil unrest of some sort (rioting), since I cannot carry to much gear for the need for being discreet. Below is what I have thought of so far, any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maxped Mongo – I chose this bag since it for the most part looks just like a random messenger bag, and the only thing I have to carry for the event is a netbook, so it will be mostly empty.
    Primary weapon – G19 with 2 spare G17 Mags – this will give me 49 total rds in a hand gun. I don’t think carrying unloaded ammo is a good because finding a place to reload will be hard.
    Secondary weapon – I am thinking this should be some sort of Melee weapon a collapsible baton maybe?
    Bandana - this won’t take up a lot of space and has a ton of uses.
    Spare light. I keep a Olight M20 warrior with 6 spare CR123a batteries in the bag.
    Some sort of multi tool. I am currently keeping some no name cheap one in the bag. Thinking about upgrading to a SOG powergrip.
    First aid kit – I currently have a AAA commuter 85 piece first aid kit. Contents can be seen here
    . AAA 85 Piece Commuter First Aid Kit « Emergency
    I am open to a different first aide kit as it small and light. And does not exceed my level of training which is basic first aide/ cpr .
    Below is the stuff that is generally always in my bag not sure how much help it would be, but I am still going to list anyway
    Water bottle – I always carry a 32 Oz Nalgene bottle with my bag
    Snacky foods, I generally always have some beef Jerky or a protein bar in my bag.
    Spare Chargers for phone, cash, poncho, various OTC meds and spare keys.
    Plus my EDC on person stuff.
    Watch
    Wallet
    G19 – unless it’s in my bag
    Phone.
    Keys.
    I know this isn’t going to be the end all be all bag, more of an Everyday bag, since my preps are dictated by my situation. But, any advice would be great.

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would add the following:

A trauma dressing
    2 door stops
    headlamp
    gloves
    goggles
    550 cord
    OC/Pepper spray-should be on you anyway

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I would add the following:

A trauma dressing
    2 door stops
    headlamp
    gloves
    goggles
    550 cord
    OC/Pepper spray-should be on you anyway

May I say that this is one of the most insightful items that many people would flat out never think of?

If you need to get away from a rush of people, ducking into a hallway and chocking the door shut is a great time buyer!

I have an outing coming up that will take place in a downtown Indy, where I will be living out of a hotel for about 2 weeks. I want to carry a smaller bag with some essentials that will aide in getting me back to my truck the rest of my Bug out gear will be. I will only ever be a few blocks to a ½ mile away from my truck. Due to the event I will be attending being discreet will be of the utmost importance. I am only going to plan for civil unrest of some sort (rioting), since I cannot carry to much gear for the need for being discreet. Below is what I have thought of so far, any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maxped Mongo – I chose this bag since it for the most part looks just like a random messenger bag, and the only thing I have to carry for the event is a netbook, so it will be mostly empty.
    Primary weapon – G19 with 2 spare G17 Mags – this will give me 49 total rds in a hand gun. I don’t think carrying unloaded ammo is a good because finding a place to reload will be hard.
    Secondary weapon – I am thinking this should be some sort of Melee weapon a collapsible baton maybe?
    Bandana - this won’t take up a lot of space and has a ton of uses.
    Spare light. I keep a Olight M20 warrior with 6 spare CR123a batteries in the bag.
    Some sort of multi tool. I am currently keeping some no name cheap one in the bag. Thinking about upgrading to a SOG powergrip.
    First aid kit – I currently have a AAA commuter 85 piece first aid kit. Contents can be seen here
    . AAA 85 Piece Commuter First Aid Kit « Emergency
    I am open to a different first aide kit as it small and light. And does not exceed my level of training which is basic first aide/ cpr .
    Below is the stuff that is generally always in my bag not sure how much help it would be, but I am still going to list anyway
    Water bottle – I always carry a 32 Oz Nalgene bottle with my bag
    Snacky foods, I generally always have some beef Jerky or a protein bar in my bag.
    Spare Chargers for phone, cash, poncho, various OTC meds and spare keys.
    Plus my EDC on person stuff.
    Watch
    Wallet
    G19 – unless it’s in my bag
    Phone.
    Keys.
    I know this isn’t going to be the end all be all bag, more of an Everyday bag, since my preps are dictated by my situation. But, any advice would be great.

I'm curious about the type of work that will be bringing you to Indy for that specific time period. As far as being discreet is concerned, if you're not black, being discreet is pretty much not a viable option July 7-17th in downtown Indy. If you're red/white/yellow/purple you're going to draw unwanted attention just by existing.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Unless you are pretty familiar with downtown, how about a good map or two?
    Indianapolis Downtown Maps

A huge number of buildings are interconnected. If you have some free time early in your trip, wonder around a bit so you can learn a few routes between your "event" location, hotel, and your truck. In an emergency, knowing both the shortest and most discrete routes might be useful.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Unless you are pretty familiar with downtown, how about a good map or two?
    Indianapolis Downtown Maps

A huge number of buildings are interconnected. If you have some free time early in your trip, wonder around a bit so you can learn a few routes between your "event" location, hotel, and your truck. In an emergency, knowing both the shortest and most discrete routes might be useful.

This is a great idea!

Another handy resource would be a map of local events going on at that time.

IE: You hear on the radio or someone announces that something has happened at "such and such an event" and you want to avoid said event, something like the list of events and the map linked below might be advantageous to avoiding conflict.

http://indianablackexpo.com/pdf/2011SCmap.pdf

Indiana Black Expo, Inc 41st Summer Celebration Overview

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Ok, as someone who works in downtown Indy. I think your setup is a bit overkill. With "Black Expo Summer Celebration" the 7-17th if you not black your going to stand out, especially in the evenings and at night. Since you are staying in a hotel I am guessing you live a few hours away. So that being said...

If your not familiar with Indy the maps suggested by director are a great idea.

Unless you plan on being in a shootout 49 rounds of ammo is a bit much. your standard G19 with a spare mag will be more than enough. This is what I OC every day to work.

A good EDC knife is a must I use mine more than I ever realized until some asked why do you need to carry a knife.

Finally your biggest problem will most likely be a flash mob of some sort that scatters as soon as something bad happens so I suggest reading that thread. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...56297-the_flash_mob_attack_how_to_defend.html

other than that your regular BOB will be sufficient because you can always just leave if it gets bad.

Just my thoughts Indy is not a bad town. take them or leave then it is up to you.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I'm assuming you have a good quality knife on you as part of your every-day stuff.

I'm a huge Glock fan but if *I* wanted to be discreet downtown I would have a firearm that I could pocket in jeans/slacks/shorts without having to wear BDU's and a photographers vest (unless that's your gig).

Boogeymanink

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Southport Area
    So from the posts im gathering your refering to black expo just remember this year I have heard through the grapvine they are doubling the plain clothes law enforcement along with a new curfew enforcement also if this is the event your refering to and if you think there may be a problem just stay away

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Blood clotter and a radio scanner to avoid areas that are out of control or in strife. I have one for my BOB and for my GHB.
    FYI, a standard radio scanner won't work with the MECA system; it's digitally frequency-hopping and some channels are further encrypted.

I might suggest carrying a few tie wraps of various sizes and thicknesses, if you can get some. Longer ones can serve as an emergency tournequet; thicker ones can hold double doors closed or serve as makeshift hand restraints, if that's needed.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the info guys, I will def be taking some things under consideration. I will not be in town for the expo. Part of the time I will be downtown will be during gen con, which is very anti-gun, this does not keep me from going just makes me want deep cover. I just like being Low-key and not drawing unwanted attention to my self.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Thanks for all the info guys, I will def be taking some things under consideration. I will not be in town for the expo. Part of the time I will be downtown will be during gen con, which is very anti-gun, this does not keep me from going just makes me want deep cover. I just like being Low-key and not drawing unwanted attention to my self.

Carry an AR. :):

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Carry an AR. :):

if it is during gencon you could get away with this as long as you paint the flash suppressor orange. you could also carry a katana and no one would notice.

Gencon is mostly a bunch of overweight men who care more about dungeons and dragons trading cards and would probably faint or scream like a little girl if they saw a "real gun".

I was part of the Indiana Stage Hands union that setups the lights and sound systems for events around Indy. miss that job.

OH and if you can the costume contest they have is worth going. The extremes some people go to makes it a Barnum and Bailey's style side show act. Guaranteed laughs.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Gencon is mostly a bunch of overweight men who care more about dungeons and dragons trading cards and would probably faint or scream like a little girl if they saw a "real gun".

This makes me laugh since the old group I played D&D with were carrying nearly every time we got together. Often, it was an opportunity for someone in the group to show off his newest acquisition.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    May I say that this is one of the most insightful items that many people would flat out never think of?

I must agree, I would have never thought about a doorstop either. (at least until it was too late)

A doorstop is very lightweight and will take little to no room in my current SHTF supply.

Good thinking 2 :yesway::yesway:

Cheers

IndyPrepper

Boogeymanink

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Southport Area
    Radio Scanner

FYI if you have a smart phone there is a bunch of free apps that will let you scan meca or even edacs systems but this is the big but in indiana it is unlawful to have a radio outside your home that is capable of monitoring police traffic also if you have a amatuer radio licence your covered there though just throwing it out there

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    FYI if you have a smart phone there is a bunch of free apps that will let you scan meca or even edacs systems but this is the big but in indiana it is unlawful to have a radio outside your home that is capable of monitoring police traffic also if you have a amatuer radio licence your covered there though just throwing it out there

I've tried out the smart phone apps, they are also available on a few websites for free as well.

I wasn't aware that it is illegal to monitor outside of my home so thanks for the heads up.

IndyPrepper

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    FYI, a standard radio scanner won't work with the MECA system; it's digitally frequency-hopping and some channels are further encrypted.

I might suggest carrying a few tie wraps of various sizes and thicknesses, if you can get some. Longer ones can serve as an emergency tournequet; thicker ones can hold double doors closed or serve as makeshift hand restraints, if that's needed.

Good point on the trunking systems for radio traffic in major metros. Smaller communities haven't made that big investment yet. Both of my BOL's have smaller towns on my paths that are still on the older system as is my current location. I should be GTG, for a while anyway...

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Good advice and true. If the SHTF I wouldn't worry about it though.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Good advice and true. If the SHTF I wouldn't worry about it though.

Depending upon the degree of disaster, you can expect to lose communications capability throughout the public sector EM spectrum (except for ham radio) either because the systems themselves will go down or because Public Safety will preempt them. Don't plan on being able to call home to coordinate things or even to let your loved ones know you are OK. You may not even be able to communicate through landlines or the internet.

Top Bottom