• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    I wonder if having a low priced building in a small town might be a good BOL. Blend in....hide in plain sight. A small town 100 miles from Indy would provide some distance between you & the horde. An isolated farm would be an attractive target to bad guys.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I wonder if having a low priced building in a small town might be a good BOL. Blend in....hide in plain sight. A small town 100 miles from Indy would provide some distance between you & the horde. An isolated farm would be an attractive target to bad guys.

You live in and/or near a big city there is no escape for you.Admit it to yourself.
    If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Not a bad idea! I like small community living and highly recommend it. Indiana has lots of nice small towns and you would have fun finding the right place. A good way to assimilate is through church so pick an area that has your denomination. Start the transition as soon as you can, even if it is only on weekends.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    The only way to make this approach feasible would be to act like the commoners while making stealth stores. Get a small home in suburbia and build an underground storehouse from within. Stockpile everything and live like the rest, complain like the rest, act like the rest. If you can come off as poorly prepared, you won't be a target.

This has its own drawbacks as making yourself look like a grand target so prepare for that as well and realize that your first stand is your last stand and will have to move out almost immediately once the rest of the town finds out you aren't who they think you are.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Small town no way to much gossip. Mid size town or suburbs good chance. College town good as passersthru all the time. Sounds like money maybe better spent in others areas than rent. Owning a business or building for a fall back location is always a good idea.

True bug out to the wild are often more of a dream than a real plan for
    most.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    I envisioned a pole barn or garage with room to pull truck in and close door behind you. Cache could be unloaded without eyes on you.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The only way to make this approach feasible would be to act like the commoners while making stealth stores. Get a small home in suburbia and build an underground storehouse from within. Stockpile everything and live like the rest, complain like the rest, act like the rest. If you can come off as poorly prepared, you won't be a target.

This has its own drawbacks as making yourself look like a grand target so prepare for that as well and realize that your first stand is your last stand and will have to move out almost immediately once the rest of the town finds out you aren't who they think you are.

Your mind resides in a strange and alien world. One that I don't recognise.

Commoners? Really? Beware the commoners with pitchforks my lord.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    As an example of how you can not hide in a small town. I have a small place in a small town. Group members have keys to my place as I have theirs. One of my group members was getting something out of my small storage shed when a neighbor who at the time I had not met questioned my group member if he had permission to be in my shed, the neighbor knew my name and basically spoke up on my behalf. The group member calmly replied and offered to call me. How did the neighbor who I hadn't met know my name? Gossip.. I have since made friends with most of the prominant members of the town, most all business owners know me by name. I keep my money local and it helps with blending in.

I moved out of a large college town and to the samll town life because most of my group is near and one of our fall back BOL's is only minutes away. Like I have said before, get to know your neighbors, learn their habits, learn how much they see, hear and know about you. You might find new like minded people. As it is not too long ago a neighbor who is elderly had fallen and could not get up, his dog which he didn't leave out on a cable kept barking alerting me to the fact that something was wrong, I called 911 and the sheriff and I found the old guy on the floor inhis kitchen. Get to know your neighbors..

I don't stock most of my stores at my home, only about a months worth so the movement of stores in or out of my house is minimal and I usually do it at night in the dark. The rest is in different places, bol's, cashe's, etc.

I wouldn't trust anyone in this town that I don't know to actually band together and be able to defend the town, although I would be surprised if they didn't try.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010

Your mind resides in a strange and alien world. One that I don't recognise.

Commoners? Really? Beware the commoners with pitchforks my lord.

Semantics. Replace "commoners" with "sheeple" and no one would have batted an eye.

He made a good point about any bug out location though. If it doesn't have the manpower and avenues to make it considered a "fortified" position, the first stand may really need to be the last. Ask the guys at the Alamo what their quality of life with no relief from post.

Top Bottom