Unmarked Muzzleloader...What the Heck is it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    pix1572598734.jpg

I'm trying to figure out a year, maybe a make or model for this rifle. All I know is it's a .45 cal, and it has a 5 digit number on the side of the barrel. No other markings. Anyone around the Indianapolis area that might know? Thanks!!!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Its most likely a kit rifle. a lot...most of them have no markings and have "generic" designs much like yours. The can be purchased from places like cabelas and bass pro shops.
    though with out any markings it will be hard to say. but my bet is on a kit rifle.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Feb 8, 2009
    kit

Hi,
    From the look of the lock and 2 piece stock, it is a earlier CVA percussion kentucky long rifle put together from a kit. in kit form they did not have to mark them at all. this kind of kit was available from the mid 60's to the late 80's if I remember right. However, the scope is a nice accessory that is seldom seen on one, If I remember right it cost almost as much as the kit did.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Not a 100grs double check but 60-90 max if everything is in good working order. Start low and work your way up. Check the nipple clean the barrel and if you are not sure get someone to look at it first.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If the gun is in good shape, I would start with about 45 grains of blackpowder. Shoot a group. Move up to 50 grains, shoot a group and so forth. You will see the group tighten as you add powder. At some point the group will start to get larger again. Also, I would guess that an older rifle such as this has a fairly slow twist in the rifling of the barrel. A patched lead round ball will probably be your best bet.

fishbgy

Plinker
    Dec 6, 2010
    i would agree tht it,s a CVA but they proof all their barrels,to say black powder only,or have Spain,stamped in them. have someone bore scope the barrel,.just my 2 cents worth.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    It looks like a CVA Kentucky rifle that I built from a kit about 25 years ago, except for the scope. I shoot 70 grains in mine. I believe that 80 was the max listen in the book that came with the kit.

It shoots patched round balls very accurately. In fact, I killed my first deer with this rifle.

Top Bottom