• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Based on the questions swirling around HB1369 I note is a complete misunderstanding of the powers and authority of the Governor of Indiana. I know that some of this misunderstanding is deliberate as it is an attempt to rationalize personal inertia on HB 1369 as human desire will always be to ride in the wagon and not help pull it.

However, some of it is likely genuine and comes from a governmental/public education or learning from television/movies.

Today's outline will will focus on the Governor of Indiana.

Requirements:

Must be 30 years olo, U.S. citizen and lived in Indiana for 5 years.

Governors are limited to 2 terms of 4 years

Authority of the Governor:

►Article V of the Indiana Constitution: https://ballotpedia.org/Article_5,_Indiana_Constitution

►Indiana Code as General Assembly provides, e.g. emergency powers as to health that have been in the news. For example the General Assembly can expand or contract or post photos of guns and Constitutions as the General Assembly deems necessary.

Powers of the Governor of Indiana:

►Pardon and commutation (excepting Treason and Impeachment)

►To call out in times of emergency the Indiana National Guard and Indiana Guard Reserve

►Statutory powers that the General Assembly affords the Office of the Governor

►Appointment of judges. Trial judges in most Indiana counties in Indiana, with the exception of strange, freaky northern counties who are wrong, pursuant to the Jacksonian spirit of 1851, are elected. However if county judges resign then the Governor will appoint replacements.

Indiana Tax, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court judges are first selected by the Judicial Nominating Committee then picked by the Governor.

►Veto: Governor may veto bills but such a veto is overriden by a majority of both houses of the General Assembly, not 2/3s are is often cited on television. Note Indiana has no pocket veto. A bill passed by both houses of the General Assembly will become law. It is complete irrelevant if the Governor "signs it" as is asked over and over and over on INGO. It matters not.

Summary:

When addressing issues of legislation, it matters NOT:

A) if the Governor will sign it,
    B) and a veto in Indiana is feckless (that Jacksonian spirit yet again).

If you have any questions, please let me know. I know this was a brief outline but I think it establishes a framework for discussion and learn more about our government.

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Correct me if I am wrong, but are not governors limited to 2 terms out of every 3 terms. They can serve 2 terms, sit out 1 term, serve 2 terms, sit out 1 term for as long as they keep getting elected.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Based on the questions swirling around HB1369 I note is a complete misunderstanding of the powers and authority of the Governor of Indiana. I know that some of this misunderstanding is deliberate as it is an attempt to rationalize personal inertia on HB 1369 as human desire will always be to ride in the wagon and not help pull it.

However, some of it is likely genuine and comes from a governmental/public education or learning from television/movies.

Today's outline will will focus on the Governor of Indiana.

Requirements:

Must be 30 years olo, U.S. citizen and lived in Indiana for 5 years.

Governors are limited to 2 terms of 4 years

Authority of the Governor:

►Article V of the Indiana Constitution: https://ballotpedia.org/Article_5,_Indiana_Constitution

►Indiana Code as General Assembly provides, e.g. emergency powers as to health that have been in the news. For example the General Assembly can expand or contract or post photos of guns and Constitutions as the General Assembly deems necessary.

Powers of the Governor of Indiana:

►Pardon and commutation (excepting Treason and Impeachment)

►To call out in times of emergency the Indiana National Guard and Indiana Guard Reserve

►Statutory powers that the General Assembly affords the Office of the Governor

►Appointment of judges. Trial judges in most Indiana counties in Indiana, with the exception of strange, freaky northern counties who are wrong, pursuant to the Jacksonian spirit of 1851, are elected. However if county judges resign then the Governor will appoint replacements.

Indiana Tax, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court judges are first selected by the Judicial Nominating Committee then picked by the Governor.

►Veto: Governor may veto bills but such a veto is overriden by a majority of both houses of the General Assembly, not 2/3s are is often cited on television. Note Indiana has no pocket veto. A bill passed by both houses of the General Assembly will become law. It is complete irrelevant if the Governor "signs it" as is asked over and over and over on INGO. It matters not.

Summary:

When addressing issues of legislation, it matters NOT:

A) if the Governor will sign it,
    B) and a veto in Indiana is feckless (that Jacksonian spirit yet again).

If you have any questions, please let me know. I know this was a brief outline but I think it establishes a framework for discussion and learn more about our government.

@Kirk Freeman , I know that some want a governor to sign a particular bill because they believe that to be a requirement for passage into law, and those people are mistaken, as you say above. Others of us want a governor to sign or veto to put his or her position on the issue on record, so we know whether to vote for that person for any future office. You are correct though, that the signature is irrelevant to the passage of the bill into law.

It is my understanding that Indiana has no process to recall a governor or other official, as we saw a while back happened in California. In your opinion, should we have such a process, and why or why not? Do we have a means of removing a sitting governor, other than impeachment? Is there any codified, statutory immunity given to the governor during his or her term of office?

Top Bottom