underground leak locator recommendation? (SW Marion Co)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It appears that we may have an underground water leak at our church/parsonage. We're burning through over 3,000 cubic feet of water a month. (almost 25,000 gallons) And that is no full time staff, and the parsonage is only a family of 5.

My family of 4 that does wasteful things like taking baths and hand washing dishes only uses around 650-700 cubic feet.

Anyone know of a good underground leak detector company?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    You would think that would be somewhat easy to visually see.

I think I would be asking the water company to check/change meter.

Reactions: wcd

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You would think that would be somewhat easy to visually see.

I think I would be asking the water company to check/change meter.
    You would think.

I could see the meter spinning as I double checked the reading. I watched one hundredth of a cubic foot (10 ounces) every 10 seconds or so.
    Granted somebody in the parsonage could have just flushed, but still.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Call up your water agency/company and ask them to send somebody out to look for a leak because the consumption is crazy high. They'll be able to look at previous reads and see the difference.

Have you looked in the meter pit? A lot of places changed over to crummy plastic meters that break and leak. In my experience, water always goes somewhere and it'll show up on the surface sooner or later.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    To register on the Water Meter the Leak would have to be Inside the Building

Running Faucet - Toilets - Shower - Outside Faucets

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    To register on the Water Meter the Leak would have to be Inside the Building

Running Faucet - Toilets - Shower - Outside Faucets
    Well technically it has to be downstream of the metering device in the meter. Water meters can crack and leak and still register, or the header pipe in the meter pit can fail.

But you should always do a visual inspection of toilets, fixtures, and the grounds. 25k is a lot, that water is going somewhere.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well technically it has to be downstream of the metering device in the meter. Water meters can crack and leak and still register, or the header pipe in the meter pit can fail.

But you should always do a visual inspection of toilets, fixtures, and the grounds. 25k is a lot, that water is going somewhere.
    Yep. I went hands on this afternoon meter looks good.

That is enough water to fill a 12 x 50 swimming pool 4 to 6 feet deep.

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I've probably done thousands of gas leaks both inside and outside but not leaks on a water service. I'm thinking lock up pressure with a pressure test. It would involve removing a pipe at the meter and seeing to it all shut off valves for sinks, terlets and any appliance be shut off. Install a gauge near the loosened pipe at the meter with a gate valve and pressurize with compressed air then shut off the gate valve the compressor was hooked up to. The compressor needs to be off also. Watch the gauge for a pressure drop. If the pressure drops then you know and finding can be a chore without obvious signs of leakage. You can then start over by systematically isolating parts of the system and doing the same individually if necessary. Yeh, it can be a PITA. At least that's how we did it with gas if we couldn't find a leak with our leak detectors (sensit) due to inaccessible piping.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

That is enough water to fill a 12 x 50 swimming pool 4 to 6 feet deep.
    Well there's your problem. Somebody filled the church pool!

Bloomington was city water, not a company, but those guys were pretty good about going out and looking for/advising on leaks. It was their water, too, and they tried to avoid waste. Try em during regular business hours.

If you watch the meter for a while with nothing turned on inside the building, can you see the numbers continuing to run? That's usually your best detection tool. Is there a main shutoff inside the building where the line comes in from outside? Turn that off and you can isolate if the leak is in the supply line between the meter and the structure.

Unless you're on top of a limestone cavern or it's right under a large concrete pad, the water is gonna end up in the yard, in the street, or going down a drain somewhere.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Was this the Church with Neighbors driving across the Lawn ?

Could they have hooked a Garden Hose to a Outside Faucet and "Filled a Swimming Pool ?"
    LOL not them.

Talked with the guys that mow the lawn this AM. They mentioned the ground in a certain area by the parsonage is always a bit moist. I think we are onto something.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    If there is One Meter that covers Both the Church and Parsonage ... there "should" be a Shutoff where it Leaves the Church to go to 2nd building

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    I dont. The property was built in 1975. and expanded in 1981.
    As a licensed plumber, I wouldn’t recommend trying to find the leak I would plan on replacing the water line from the meter to the building. Ideally, it would be to run the new water line into the building. Sometimes that’s not easily done and I have stopped just shy of the foundation and reattached to the existing line.

In my experience once a main starts leaking the cost of finding/fixing the leak and then discovering another in a couple months out weighs the cost of replacing the entire line.

I assume you have verified the leak is between the meter and the building. If not, it’s a really easy thing to isolate and test.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I assume you have verified the leak is between the meter and the building. If not, it’s a really easy thing to isolate and test.
    Most everywhere I lived that had a Water Meter - It was Inside the Basement ... possibly to prevent Freezing (Wis & Michigan) ... the exception was Florida - where the house was on a Slab and the meter was on the outside wall and I could see the Pipe go through the wall to the Water Heater - then split to Sinks & toilet

The Master Shutoff (even on places without meters) was always outside by the Curb - but needed a Specific Tool to shutoff - and sometimes grass had grown over the access plate

ibbob

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Marshall Co.
    25,000 gallons per month = .5 gpm. Check your tank toilets after they have set for awhile. Pull the lid and see if it's over flowing. If not check the level then flush it. If it fills higher you need a new flapper. 35 years in a water utility. That's where we find the majority of leaks.
    If you think it's outside get a tile probe and poke around

Top Bottom