• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Hey group,

As the prices of ammo increases, I am always looking for ways to still enjoy shooting without thinking about what it costs me per round... :rolleyes:

So I happened to look through the Dicks Sporting Goods ad this week and noticed that they had Ultramax bulk packs on sale for $39.99 (.45 ACP = 150 rds). At this price it comes to $.26/rnd oops there I go again worrying about what it costs per round..:):

My question is this, have any of you used this stuff before? My understanding is that it's re-manufactured ammo (i.e. reloaded). Has anyone had any issues with it? Is there any reason I shouldn't jump on it? :dunno:

Thanks

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I haven't shot a lot of it, but what I did shoot seemed to run and shoot just fine. I know of a few national level 3-gunners who use nothing but Ultramax.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The rifle stuff has had a history of hit and miss (as per Arfcommers). I have fired some of the 55gr FMJ stuff once, as mentioned before, scary accurate. I pulled a bunch and weighed the powder, pretty uniform. I would suggest, nowadays, that folks invest in a good scale and weigh em to keep from getting a double load (as others have found). The stuff I had was a holdover from almost a decade ago (my father's ammo for a bolt action Savage handgun that I wish I could slap him for selling!!), so I cannot say much on the new stuff.

As for their handgun ammo, decent, sort of hot. The lead stuff is VERY soft, therefore, leads terribly. We used to have folks come out to Eagle Creek with a bulk pack of lead Ultramax under one arm, a Glock in the other. Recipe for disaster. If you dont mind the mess, plus have a conventional rifled barrel, it isnt too bad (not consistent though). The FMJ stuff isnt terrible, but the last box I bought (about 3 years ago), I could feel the inconsistency in each round fired. But it could have been a bad lot.

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Let me be a little more clear... It seems as though the stuff that Dicks Sporting Goods is selling (at least the .45) is RNL (Round Nose Lead).

Have any of you shot this? I will be cleaning the gun after each shooting session anyway, so is there any other adverse effects on the gun or the shooter when shooting RNL?:dunno:

Thanks again for the help

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Let me be a little more clear... It seems as though the stuff that Dicks Sporting Goods is selling (at least the .45) is RNL (Round Nose Lead).

Have any of you shot this? I will be cleaning the gun after each shooting session anyway, so is there any other adverse effects on the gun or the shooter when shooting RNL?:dunno:

Thanks again for the help

I'll just add.... Don't shoot RNL in a Glock!!! ........ "Boom"!!!
    :cheers:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I personally do not care for RNL in any of my firearms but that is a personal preference. Many years ago lead wad cutters and RNL was the standard and I spent many an hour scrubbing lead from the barrel :xmad:

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I've only used Ultramax in 10mm and 38 Spl. Inconsistent would be the nicest thing I could say about it. Dirty, both powder and bullets.

The only reason I would contemplate buying it now would be to get the brass. And there are much better sources of brass.

IMO, if you have the time and space, roll your own. Last night, I knocked out 200 9mm, 100 45ACP and 24 .357's in a little over 2 hours. Ran another 100 45's and 176 357's tonight in a bit over an hour.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    ive shot ultramax once when i had my remmy 700 sps varmint and it didnt like it at all, but when i shot it through my ar15 it loved it. it all depends on the gun you are using. different guns like different ammo

Top Bottom