• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    In an attempt to prevent an OC/CC debate before it starts, I do both on occasion depending on my attire. Now that we've got that out of the way...

I was driving down 65 to Indy on Friday after work for a golf outing early Saturday morning in Middletown. Still in my dress attire (complete with bowtie) I pulled into a rest stop on 65 to relieve myself, and upon exiting the bathroom was approached by a Garda armored truck fellow, who not surprisingly was OC also.

Him: Where are you from?
    Me: Indianapolis originally, but I currently live in Valparaiso.
    Him: Oh ok, we're headed to Indy. Are you a police officer?
    Me: No, but I thought about it for a while. Decided to head to law school instead.
    Him: Oh, well I just figured you were when I saw the gun. How can you carry it openly like that, isn't it supposed to be concealed?
    Me: No, but that's actually a fairly common misconception. Indiana does not distinguish between OC or CC with respect to the License to Carry a Handgun. You as a LTCH holder are entitled to carry as you see fit, and people choose to do either for various reasons.
    Him: Oh really? I didn't know that, I just always had the impression that cops were the only ones allowed to carry like that. I'm from Illinois but I want to move to Indiana. :rockwoot:Does Indiana recognize the Utah Concealed Firearms Permit?
    Me: I am sure we do, but I'd advise you, like anyone else, to research it for yourself to be sure.
    Him: Well thanks for the information, that's cool that you can carry it like that if you want to instead of having to conceal it. Enjoy the rest of your drive.
    Me: You're welcome, enjoy yours as well.

He was a nice guy and genuinely interested, and I don't think my first OC "encounter" could have been any better.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon, as I head back to Valpo from Middletown for a dinner obligation Saturday night. Winding my way through the heart of Indiana on various state roads, I experience a brief delay at the behest of a State Trooper on US 24 in Cass County.

After approaching and asking for my license,
    Me: Before I reach for it, I want to inform you that I am lawfully carrying a firearm on my right hip. (I might have bumbled a bit because this was my first stop and first voluntary inform - I was OC again at 3oclock and it would have been plainly visible as I lifted my rear end to reach for my wallet in my back pocket and I didn't want to be staring down the barrel of his service weapon.)
    Him: What?
    Me: I want you to know that I am lawfully carrying a firearm on my right hip and will be reaching towards it to retrieve my wallet.
    Him: Ok. Do you have a permit?
    Me: I do.
    I hand him my wallet, permit, and registration, and he checks the permit and hands it back to me.
    Him: I'll be right back, I had you at XX in a 60.
    When he said XX, I knew without a doubt I would be receiving my first ticket. How exciting.

Nothing further was said or done with respect to my gun, and I was overall pretty pleased with the experience, obvious exception aside. He didn't seem concerned with the fact that I was carrying, and didn't even give a hint of approval or disapproval one way or the other. He seemed like a nice guy, and I appreciate the fact that I wasn't removed from my vehicle or asked to surrender my weapon so he could unload it and/or run the numbers. I believe we had a mutual understanding that the safest place for it to remain was in the holster.

In summary, +1 to Garda guy for the opportunity to school him and for his desire to move out of the unarmed victim zone next door. +1 to the Trooper for his professional handling of the presence of a weapon. I just might send a letter of appreciation to his superior after I digest the upper end of the speeding fine schedule, whatever it may be.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    That is exactly how it should go on a traffic stop, but you were doing 20 in a 60 and need to step on the gas.

I had a good gun encounter this weekend, and I just happened to be CC at the moment; but an excellent discussion and little bit of education spread while waiting at the walmart gun counter. I will say you met two people that are socialized to firearms, I think 99.9% of those OC encounters end up going over well, and it's good that you're willingness to be social has kept up those attitudes about fellow carriers.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Him: I'll be right back, I had you at XX in a 60.
    When he said XX, I knew without a doubt I would be receiving my first ticket. How exciting.

Wow! I don't think I even own a vehicle that can go so fast that it doesn't register on the radar gun. :D

Sounds like you had some great encounters. That's the way it should go. Keep up the good work.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    One thing I stopped doing several years ago was carrying my wallet on the same side as my firearm. This way I don't have to potentially expose my firearm if I CC or have to present that side if I OC.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Him: I'm from Illinois but I want to move to Indiana. Does Indiana recognize the Utah Concealed Firearms Permit?
    Me: I am sure we do, but I'd advise you, like anyone else, to research it for yourself to be sure.

Just a small clarification: His Utah permit is only good in Indiana while he's not a resident of Indiana. I only pick this nit because he said he's moving here and his question implies that he'll carry on his Utah permit once he moves.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Clearly the Op is lying. You can't trust him he is from NWI!
    The real version is that the state tropper pulled him out of his car at gun point while saying something to the effect that he was going to put the OP in his grave and go home to sleep alright. Just another isolated incident.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    Just a small clarification: His Utah permit is only good in Indiana while he's not a resident of Indiana. I only pick this nit because he said he's moving here and his question implies that he'll carry on his Utah permit once he moves.

Appreciate the clarification, I'm not as versed in the Utah permit as I should be (considering the time I spend browsing here). Just one more reason I always cover my arse and tell people to do their homework when they ask me questions like that.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Appreciate the clarification, I'm not as versed in the Utah permit as I should be (considering the time I spend browsing here). Just one more reason I always cover my arse and tell people to do their homework when they ask me questions like that.

It's not a Utah license thing. It's an Indiana statute:

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

What concerns me somewhat is that he's carrying in Indiana already without being aware of our laws here. He apparently thinks that being a security guard gives him special carry privileges.

Top Bottom