Two Hypotheticals I was wondering about.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Hey all,

I had two questions. One is what would you do and another is what would happen.

1) I was out walking my dog the other night and I always have my firearm concealed on me when I go outside. I was wondering what would you do if a person came up to you with a KNIFE (NOT a gun) and tried to rob you at knifepoint. I was wondering if you would shoot without hesitation, pull out firearm to scare away and let them run, etc.?

2) I was wondering if you got out of your car to drop off a letter (about 50 feet away) and left the car running and then got out. Then a person, at gunpoint, went to get into the car and told you to back away so they could steal it. I would not try to pull until I knew I was safe (they were in the car). If you shot into the car to hit the person, and hit the engine with the bullet, would any insurance actually cover that? I know it wouldn't matter as you would actually be alive and it's just money but I was just curious about the situation.

Sorry these are weird, it was just two things that I was out and about and thinking about them and would like to hear your peoples thoughts.

Josh

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    1.) If your life is in immediate danger, do what you need to stop the threat. If not, then don't shoot.

2.) If they drove away, your life in not in immediate danger, then you can not shoot. If you need to shoot, shoot the tires.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    #1: Lethal threat? Meet lethal response.

#2: I would probably laugh til I cried, knowing what was going to happen at the first stop sign/light. Wiping away the tears and holstering my sidearm, I would start walking in the direction they drove away. My truck will be sitting abandoned at the first intersection, engine flooded, battery ran down, door standing open...

:lmfao:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Knife point it depends. Training may kick in and take it from him or get cut trying. If you let him get that close to you it is now near beyond being able to pull your gun in defense. Never let suspicious folks get that close. If they walk towards you make and keep eye contact. Their intentions will be obvious before they get too close.

The car.....All I can say is the days of getting out, leaving it running and walking away are long gone amigo.......If you are so with out SA that you do this say good by to the car. You shoot him after he is in and the door is closed kiss your life good by. Shut it off, lock the doors, mail or drop while maintaining SA and you may keep the car and your life.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    If my kids are in the car I will do what I safely can to stop him from stealing it. Otherwise he has the drop on me and the cops and insurance can handle it.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    1.) If your life is in immediate danger, do what you need to stop the threat. If not, then don't shoot.

2.) If they drove away, your life in not in immediate danger, then you can not shoot. If you need to shoot, shoot the tires.

I have heard of cases in which someone shot at the tires or engine of a car that was just stolen by a BG who was driving away and were brought up on charges of attempted murder or something of the sort because he was no longer a threat and the prosecutor probably saw the victim as just a bad shot who missed his intended target. Then you have to prove you weren't shooting to kill a fleeing BG and were trying to hit the tires. Not something I'd want to have to prove. So shooting the tires may not be the best idea. Cars are expensive, but not expensive enough to wind up in jail over it. You could spend a lot more money in legal fees. A lot of times, when cars are stolen, they're found ditched somewhere else. So you may get it back.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    1. If they have a knife and are close enough to use it - you're going to get stabbed at least a half dozen times if not more before you can even get unholstered. At that point your best bet is trying to take the knife [since you're going to get stabbed anyways].
    2. The only time you are justified to shoot during a vehicle theft is if you are *in* the car and you are being carjacked as I understand it, however, you still need to feel that your life is in imminent danger. "I shot him because he tried to open my door," likely would not fly.

IANAL - consult one.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    1. This is when I would hand over my wallet, apologizing for not having any cash in it. Then saying, "Wait I think I have some..." Stick my hand in my front pocket and pull out my p938 and shoot. <--This is the actual scenario I have been practicing lately.

2. Who leaves their car running?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    2: Slightly different take.. Once he points a gun at you, it isn't JUST car theft.

Thoughts?
    I must have overlooked that detail.

Point a gun at me and you're going to be on the receiving end of some hot lead. I'm not going to wait to see if you're going to pull the trigger. [Obviously put in this situation - I would have a microsecond to decide if that was a good idea and even feasible].

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Huh well thats all interesting. And like I said, I literally just go out in the middle of winter in front of a walgreens. Right in front of the parking space was a redbox where I was dropping off a movie. I didn't want to stop the car. Also I wouldn't care to shoot because I have a 2013 chevy and it has GPS and can be turned off remotely through onstar. I was just thinking about it as I was out there.

As for being outside, I think I would shoot the second they move in any direction other than directly away from myself. I would be super jumpy and the tiniest movement would be enough for me to feel as if I was in imminent danger. And at that time, I would have my firearm drawn and finger on the trigger.

Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012

Yeah... what he said. If not, you become George Zimmerman or this Dunn guy. If your family is in the car it's a whole different matter. Shoot to kill and deal with the consequences later.

PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    Another advamtage of owning a rust bucket. No one would want to steal it but if they tried I can tale the keys out while it's running which I always do so they won't get very far without being able to turn it over when they shut it off haha

Top Bottom