• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    I thought I would make a post in case this has happened to anyone else recently.

Rural King got me with their Cyber Monday sale and I ordered a couple of things. I went to go check out with the credit card I normally use with them and the transaction was declined. So I tried a different card it was also declined. I checked my email and I had a fraud alert email from the first card. I called them, and told them it was a legitimate purchase. The rep unlocked my card, and I ran the transaction through again while on the phone. This time it went through.

It could have been something with my accounts, I did open a new card this morning with another bank, but I just found it interesting that all my other holiday purchases have gone through find, but when I went to purchase a couple of firearms it gets declined.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I thought I would make a post in case this has happened to anyone else recently.

Rural King got me with their Cyber Monday sale and I ordered a couple of things. I went to go check out with the credit card I normally use with them and the transaction was declined. So I tried a different card it was also declined. I checked my email and I had a fraud alert email from the first card. I called them, and told them it was a legitimate purchase. The rep unlocked my card, and I ran the transaction through again while on the phone. This time it went through.

It could have been something with my accounts, I did open a new card this morning with another bank, but I just found it interesting that all my other holiday purchases have gone through find, but when I went to purchase a couple of firearms it gets declined.
    I'd think more likely it was just outside or your normal purchase patterns and the bank's algorithm for fraud detection. The obvious answer is buy more guns so it doesn't think it is out of your normal spending habits.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    If the headquarters for the site is out of state from where you live, it's an auto decline from 90% of banks as it looks like fraud.

I had the same thing happen while using walmart.com and hobofreight.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd think more likely it was just outside or your normal purchase patterns and the bank's algorithm for fraud detection.
    This is 100% it.

We need not look for boogie men where there aren't any boogie men.

I recently had an online purchase be declined with Allegiant Airlines because it was outside the "norm" for me. (But my purchase with Delta earlier this year went through just fine...)

seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    This is 100% it.

We need not look for boogie men where there aren't any boogie men.

I recently had an online purchase be declined with Allegiant Airlines because it was outside the "norm" for me. (But my purchase with Delta earlier this year went through just fine...)

I can see that, but I have also made 4 similar transaction with the same card in the last 18 months to the same vendor. All those transactions went through without a problem. Two of them were larger then this purchase.

You're probably right and I am just over thinking it, but in today's climate you never know. I'm just glad I got some good deals.

Last edited:

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    FWIW, I have had random Amazon purchases declined on the card I always use. Like mentioned, must be something that was thought to be out of norm or suspicious based on some "algorithm". Had to approve the transaction on card then cancel order on Amazon and do it over again per Amazon chat. Was a pain and am sure with the proliferation of "AI" things will improve.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Just a thought, but I've had trouble with a fairly recently issued/upgraded card from my credit union. Tried paying an online insurance bill through their portal as well as an online rental, declined both times, yet the card worked everywhere else. Turns out I had my "approved purchase categories" set a little strict, and anything that fell into the category of "other" was the problem. Easy fix through my CU's online banking portal.

Again, just a thought. As others upthread have stated, algorithms based on your purchasing patterns would also catch potentially fraudulent activity. Having had my card skimmed in the past, I take these occasional hiccups as exactly that... minor inconveniences vs. waiting for funds to be put back right from digital thieves.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Just a thought, but I've had trouble with a fairly recently issued/upgraded card from my credit union. Tried paying an online insurance bill through their portal as well as an online rental, declined both times, yet the card worked everywhere else. Turns out I had my "approved purchase categories" set a little strict, and anything that fell into the category of "other" was the problem. Easy fix through my CU's online banking portal.

Again, just a thought. As others upthread have stated, algorithms based on your purchasing patterns would also catch potentially fraudulent activity. Having had my card skimmed in the past, I take these occasional hiccups as exactly that... minor inconveniences vs. waiting for funds to be put back right from digital thieves.
    Always use a credit card vs a debit card, then your money is never tied up.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've had Discover card decline a few sales for me. It is just policy, however seemingly-randomly applied. As the credit issuer is on the hook for fraudulent charges, they must protect themselves. I get it. I always call Discover ahead of time when travelling. "From 6/12/23 - 6/19/23 I'll be in LVN.", is all it takes. A while back, I got a charge declined for an ammo seller in Wyoming. I called Discover and informed them, "Yes, I buy ammunition, and a lot of camera gear on-line, from all over the country." Haven't had a problem with them in forever. You have a dog in this fight; help yourself.

Top Bottom