• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    To my shock, as I was last using it at least 15 years ago, tvguide still maintains listings and it's still pretty good.

I'll let her know about this. See if she can customize it for local broadcast channels. First glance, it didn't show channels like 4.1, 4.2 etc which she can get with the antenna

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To my shock, as I was last using it at least 15 years ago, tvguide still maintains listings and it's still pretty good.

Anyone else remember saving the tv listing from the Sunday paper that had all the programming for the entire week in it? Of course there were only like 4 channels back then. :lmfao:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Anyone else remember saving the tv listing from the Sunday paper that had all the programming for the entire week in it? Of course there were only like 4 channels back then. :lmfao:
    Our paper still has about an 8 page insert in it of the week's programming.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I haven't gotten a paper in over 20 years so I don't know if ours does or not.

My local paper would also be Expat's paper, so, I'll take his word for it, but I do remember my grandmother going through the paper and circling all of her shows. It didn't matter if it was the same show at the same time and channel for the last 20 years, she circled it anyhow.

On down a generation, we were always a high brow TV Guide household. I think my parents still have a few hundred old issues.

I have personally never done either thing. After leaving the nest, I only had TV services of any kind for around 4 years... and that was 15 years ago. I just can't take the ads anymore now that I've been without them so long.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    We bought this antenna and I mounted it in our attic. We live 25 miles west of Indy, and we can get about 50 or so stations reliably.
    GE Pro Outdoor TV Antenna, Long... Amazon product ASIN B01MYMVPVX
    Maybe it's the millennial in me, but I had no idea you could still get that many stations with an antenna. When I was a kid my grandpa had an antenna and only got two stations, granted that was in Nowhere, USA.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Maybe it's the millennial in me, but I had no idea you could still get that many stations with an antenna. When I was a kid my grandpa had an antenna and only got two stations, granted that was in Nowhere, USA.

Those in the greater Fort Wayne area growing up would call it "The Farmer's 5". 55, 39, 33, 21, and 15. If you were out in the sticks, you couldn't get cable, hence the name.

Today, it depends where you are. I have an OTA antenna because I thought it would be good for emergencies if "somehow" all of the internet and cellular services happen to go down all at once. I only really get 1 channel despite there being what looks like 50 or more in my market. FM radio is about the same for me. There is a fire house in my back yard and I suspect their radios may diminish the performance of the other signals. I'd prefer their stuff to work, so...

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    It's the technology.
    Today I can put 2HD and 4SD channels on a single transmitter.
    Last year I was luck to put 1HD and 2SD and keep them looking good.

Currently, I am running 9 channels on 2 transmitters.
    3HD and 6SD, with another SD on it's way this fall.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Years ago I bought an antenna that plugged into your electrical outlets, one side of plug was plastic, so it didn't short it out, used the wiring in the house as an antenna....this was before digital TV, so your milage may vary....

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Bought one off Amazon. Outdoor amplified antenna , rotates 360 degrees via a remote control It was 42.00.
    I put it up and reused the dish network wiring so it’s already to 3 rooms. Did the scan and I can get 40 channels from Indy and Fort Wayne. Very pleased with it and trying another scan pointing it towards Ohio. I live in north grant county

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought the antenna / amplifier system like above. Lafayette is 60 + miles from Indy. I can get the call signs from Indy 18 stations, but not enough signal to support audio and video. I even got out An Aviation map and a compass to manually aim it. No bueno. Of course the Chicago stations will not even track call sign. Even though it is pointing away from the Lafayette stations, I get 4 from there There is no tall buildings in the line of sight from my antenna mount to the direction of Indy. Looks like will pay the cable bill again.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I bought the antenna / amplifier system like above. Lafayette is 60 + miles from Indy. I can get the call signs from Indy 18 stations, but not enough signal to support audio and video. I even got out An Aviation map and a compass to manually aim it. No bueno. Of course the Chicago stations will not even track call sign. Even though it is pointing away from the Lafayette stations, I get 4 from there There is no tall buildings in the line of sight from my antenna mount to the direction of Indy. Looks like will pay the cable bill again.
    You can always stream tv, such as Roku or amazon fire stick

Reactions: Leo

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You can always stream tv, such as Roku or amazon fire stick
    We do a combo of antenna/streaming. Need two remotes, but no big deal. Antenna mostly for local news and a few game shows, and Roku for the rest of the time. The only thing I pay for is Philo and Hulu. I started with Philo when they had a $16 a month plan, and they grandfathered me in when their price went up to $25. I'm paying $1.99 for Hulu right now, but I use it enough that I'll probably keep it when the trial period expires. You can get a LOT of regular network programming on Hulu in addition to movies and original shows.

There is a lot of free programming on a Roku if you don't want to pay for a streaming service. Roku has a free channel, Pluto is free, Tubi is free, and there are probably a lot more. There are also a lot of free channels for old b&w movies, game shows, etc.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    TV antennas are not quite a divisive as motor oil or zero turn mowers...but I see the potential.

My go-to source of antenna info is "The Antenna Man" on YouTube.

I have a ClearStream 4 Max in my attic. Some day, I will probably put it outside, but it work well most of time where it is. I have an amplifier on it as the signal has to travel about 80-90 feet before it gets to the place in the house where the coax com together, then it has another run to reach the TV. As it stands now, it has to travel about 50 more feet to get to the main TV.

Cable length and quality can make a significant difference. I'm stuck with RG-59 in the walls, but whenever I have to add on, I use RG-6.

I just hung a new TV in the basement and the initial scan netted 94 channels. I think the tuner is better than my 10 year old TV that I always thought was pretty good. Many I will not watch- Spanish (maybe the news/weather), Polish, Korean, shopping, "tru-crime", but I get multiples of all of the major networks and multiples of the "classic TV" stations which I really like. Reception is worse in the summer, but those days are almost behind us.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Out of curiosity, I bought the interior square antennae that mounts flat on a window listed above to try out. My bedroom TV picks up a couple of the transmitters pretty well out of SB and then a couple others that keep cutting in and out. So not overly satisfactory.

Top Bottom