• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aejsl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I have historically used store bought media in my tumbler. I heard that using corn cob litter from the pet store would work just as well. So, being the cheapskate I gave it a shot. I tumbled some .308 and .223. It didn't do a bad job of cleaning however, the cases were absolutely packed full of the stuff. So much so that I had to use a piece of wire to clean out each of the cases. Total pain in the butt. Did I fall prey to an urban reloading legend or are others doing this as well?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Looks like way better stuff. Anywhere in Indy that stocks something like that?

you could probably get it from granger, I think. It ships out of Ohio, so you get it pretty quick ordering it from the link above. Last batch I ordered on a Sunday, got it Tuesday.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I just bought a bag of the econoline to try out a week or two ago. Works great and it's cheap. I actually weighed what I put in my tumbler just to see how much it takes. It used 3 lbs. That means I get 13 batches of media for under $30. Can't beat that with a stick. I also picked up 2, 5 gal pails at Lowe's to put it in for storage. It filled both of those and 2 1 gallon zip lock bags with the left overs after filling my tumbler.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Get the "lizard bedding" at the pet store. It's crushed walnut, not corn cob. Much finer and works great. This from a fellow cheapskate.

Aejsl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Does the "Lizard Bedding" get stuck in the flashholes? That is a very big selling point for me.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Does the "Lizard Bedding" get stuck in the flashholes? That is a very big selling point for me.

There are 2 types of lizard bedding/crushed walnut you'll find at most pet stores, medium and fine ground. They're 12/20 and 20/40 respectively, IIRC. For reference, the corn cob litter you probably have is 8/12 or lower. The 20/40 stuff shouldn't get taught in the flash holes, but the medium grind might. Walnut will clean faster, but won't polish as well as corn cob. It'll also be dustier than corn cob. Dryer sheets in the media do a good job of reducing the dust.

Crushed walnut is also used as blasting media, so you might find it cheaper under that label than under the "lizard litter" label if you want to buy more than a few pounds at a time.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Over the past 25+ years I have tried almost everything and keep coming back to some type of walnut. I now buy only Lyman Tuff-Nut treated media. Great shine and lasts through many cleanings. Walnut removes the worst carbon built up and still gives a bright shine.

Top Bottom