• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Back in '66, my Grandfather died down in Florida. My dad's sister and her husband drove down from Wisconsin to Detroit, picked up my father, and drove down to Florida.

In '82, when my dad died, we drove up from Houston to northern Indiana for his funeral.

We flew back up to Chicago for my father-in-law's funeral in '85.

Now we're back to driving again for family emergencies (except, I suppose, if my brother in Korea dies).

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    According to American Airlines you will still be able to travel with no notice for emergencies. Regardless, they should be rescinding this.
    Travel Information FAQs

Just do a search for "Can I fly the same day" and it'll take you to the relevant passage. Not sure how this shakes out with other airlines.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The nature of government is such that it will always slowly make things more restrictive.

I learned this when I was stationed on a remote missile site in Germany in the eighties. One the many extra duties staff sergeants had to perform was Sergeant of the Guard. It lasted twenty-four hours, you and eight guards to guard a perimeter that measured a couple of miles around. The duty wasn't particularly complicated, but it was scary because screwing it up was a potential career-killer.

The battalion security officer was a rotating appointment lasting 18 months or so. The same pattern occurred every time a new one was appointed. The first thing the S-2 would discover is that the previous S-2 had been doing everything all wrong. A new SOP would be issued, will all new procedures we'd have to learn. While everyone was getting used to the new procedures, at least one Sergeant of the Guard (SOG) would get into serious trouble by failing a surprise inspection.

Soon, though, everyone would learn the new procedures and the surprise inspections would produce only satisfactory results. This would happen about one third of the way into the S-2's tenure. Then the games began. Since there were no more big busts that the S-2 could report to the commander, he would begin making the procedures more and more difficult to follow. Previously I might have to record my checks, and posting the guards in my log. A new policy would be implemented by which my guards would also have to log in their logs. Then he'd start checking to see if the times matched exactly between my log and the guards.

Next, instead of logging the perimeter checks, he would want a card posted every 100 meters around the perimeter where the guards and the SOG could sign to prove the perimeter was actually being checked. And so on. By the time the new S-2 took over, the duty was a nightmare of checks and double entries and a million things you could get wrong so the inspecting officer could find something negative to put in his report.

And then the old S-2 would leave, and the new one would start over.

The difference in the federal government is that no one ever blows it up and starts over fresh. The noose just keeps tightening and tightening until freedom is blue and gasping.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    confiscation of 'contraband' personal property at the airport. check.
    plenty of notice before entering or exiting the country. check.
    internment camps. waiting.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Just another reason that I will NEVER get on a commercial airline ever again. They have lost any money that me or my family would have spent over the rest of our lives due to the TSA Nazis.

INGunGuy

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    :n00b:

Really?!

My sister lives in Arizona, she just got a new job and will be out of town for the whole week for training.

She has two sons and was not able to find a babysitter to watch them ALL WEEK, so my dad ended up flying out last minute to stay for the week and watch them.

Perfect example of why this is horrible idea.

Thanks TSA. :patriot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    It's all down to convenience flight anymore...plan ahead and book it. We go down to the Keys fishing several times a year and it's not that big a deal to fly.

Insofar as business travel, I use Telepresence or something similar to My PC and have a conference call. Businesses will need to adjust accordingly as a cost of doing business.

Death, funeral, etc. - That's a fact of life with living away from your family so far away if you need to catch a flight...what if there is bad weather? You are going to miss it anyway. Get there when you can (fly, drive, etc). If the family cannot understand that, then why bother to go in the first place? But they should if they fly.

There probably would be special cases for medical emergencies, but most of those are airlifted anyway.

If it gets tougher...I'll deal with it when it comes or just retire and move into my cottage permanently and become a parrot-head

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The only reason I'm thinking of flying is so I can make it into the nude back scatter scan calendar of fat white guys. That has to be coming now that it is proven they lied about storing those images.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Don't worry, the death panels will give one plenty of time to plan out for the funerals. The current economic policies of the regime will also make the need for same day air travel obsolete...any air...well, any travel whatsoever.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Anyone else thinking this might be a good way to get more people screaming for high speed rail? This doesn't effect Amtrak does it?

According to American Airlines you will still be able to travel with no notice for emergencies. Regardless, they should be rescinding this.
    Travel Information FAQs

Just do a search for "Can I fly the same day" and it'll take you to the relevant passage. Not sure how this shakes out with other airlines.

Only thing I found seemed to indicate you can fly the same day you buy your tickets, if your registered 72hrs in advance :dunno:

From reading it again, if your a member of AA advantage, they will store your info for you. That way it's provided 72hrs before the flight. So for us usual non flying folk who need to fly for an emergency....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom