• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    After our last hunting trip my wife wants something more powerful, yet as light and balanced as her lever action, and Canada legal.
    The best I can find is the Ruger M77 Compact in .308 but before I plunk down the money for a rifle I would like her to handle one to see if it is what she wants.
    Has anyone seen one at a gun shop in the Indy area?
    Thanks.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Not Indy area, but there were a couple of used M77 compacts at Whittaker's last weekend. Don't recall whether they were 308 Win though. They likely have a new one or two.

What criteria resulted in the M77 Compact coming up best?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    More powerful that what? What's on the menu? Can she shoot a rifle with a standard length of pull (~13.5"), or is a "youth model" more her size?

There's the Browning A-Bolt micro hunter, but LOP is ~1" more than the Ruger Compact. Savage makes youth models in the Model 11, Stevens 200, and Axis, but the one that has my eye is the Lightweight Hunter, but it has a standard LOP. Savage Arms Firearms > 11 Lightweight Hunter

Also the 7mm-08 is a good alternative to the .308.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    There are several reasons I chose the Ruger in .308.
    a. The length of pull is 12.5 inches
    b. The barrel is 16.5" long
    c. My wife is short.
    d. She used to work at Ruger and has a soft spot for them.
    e. Ammo is easy to find.
    f. Power and range almost equal to my 30-06.

She now uses a .44 magnum lever action and used it on a black bear in Canada. (See my other posts for that.) We are talking about going back bear hunting again in two years and also going elk hunting in Colorado after that. So she wants something with more power and range than the .44. Plus it would be used on mule deer and other game.
    She likes my adjustable stock AR so we were thinking of that in .308, but Canada doesn't allow military style weapons.
    With the gun being so short I think it would be just right for her but I want her to handle one before I commit to buying one.
    Where is this Whittakers at? We live just north of Paragon.
    Thanks.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Whittakers would be a bit of a haul, it is just south of Owensboro KY. But well worth the trip.

If handling one then buying online or ordering locally is an option, we might be able to arrange that former part right in Paragon. I have one that is not here but could be brought back from the place I'll be antelope hunting late next week. Can check.

I wouldn't put any hunter onto an A Bolt and that goes double for a bear hunter. I've had a couple and hunted alongside a few others. When things get cold and/or wet they are prone to revealing their fragility. Easily bested by M77s in that regard.

I'm not sure how well her lever gun balances, but M77s are action + bottom metal heavy and I wouldn't call the compact 'well balanced'. But it is worth a look.

Last edited:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I you have one she could look at without you going to any trouble, that would be great.
    As for balance, I have tried every gun in my safe and except for the lever action, she says they all are to heavy out front. I think with the short barrel and stock of the M77 Compact, the weight will be closer to her, making it easier to hold. I measured her length of pull and it matches the Ruger at 12.5".
    Thanks.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have had the opportunity to shot one that belonged to a friend of mine. I really liked the rifle and it is on my short list of guns I need. The only thing I would say it that because of the size and weight the recoil, while not unbearable, definitely gets your attention. I don't know how recoil sensitive your wife is but it might be something to keep in the back of your mind.

Just for funs here is frame from when my wife was shooting the M77 Compact (in .308).

Bethfullrecoil.jpg

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I'll PM you when I'm back late next week and we can figure out the details. For comparison I might also bring along another example of a well balanced, lightweight hunting rifle. The LOP will be a bit long but it'll be something to consider.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    After our last hunting trip my wife wants something more powerful, yet as light and balanced as her lever action, and Canada legal.
    The best I can find is the Ruger M77 Compact in .308 but before I plunk down the money for a rifle I would like her to handle one to see if it is what she wants.
    Has anyone seen one at a gun shop in the Indy area?
    Thanks.

I have one and it's great for carrying around and getting onto target quickly.

However . . . the recoil could best be described as brutal. I mean that shooting full power 12ga slugs from a Mossberg 500A is comfy by comparison. They're great rifles, but I recommend getting the end of the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake.

If you can't find one, the Ruger "Scout" rifle is very close, although it may have some features that you may not like.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Whittakers had the following Compacts in stock - or did last week, .308 bright blued/walnut for $519. They had 6.8 SPC(mid $600's) and 7.62x39($449 for matte finish/walnut) as well.

I found the Frontier in 308 to be quite manageable, even a bit overweight. Although velocities out of the 16.5" barrel were more akin to 300 Savage.

Top Bottom