• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do with your vehicle's hitch ball?

• Total voters

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    We take em out for two reasons...

2. Had a body shop tell me once that trucks/suvs aren't designed to take a rear impact with a ball in. The ball getting hit can alter the force direction of the impact and bend the frame from a relatively low energy impact...

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Mine typically stays in. I pull the utility trailer very regularly. The one for my camper (different size than the trailer) stays in the camper when I am not pulling it.

Locking hitch pins are your friend.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Locking hitch pins are your friend.

Until salt and moisture corrodes them and you cannot unlock it. Like the padlocks on a spare tire.

I leave my hitch in the receiver. I have several different sizes and swap them out. So they don't stay in long enough to rust in place. . Plus a few different trucks. So they get passed around once in a while.

My Son bought a used truck the other day. The ball was missing but the hitch was rusted into the receiver. It was rusted in very bad. We had to cut it lengthwise with a torch, then chain it to a tree and beat on it with a sledge. Took us a while to get it out. The new one slides in well. :)

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    After whacking my shin on it about a dozen times, I now keep it in my break-down bag. So its with me all the time, but a lot less painful.

The back of my vehicle is pretty high up, so the mini bumper thing still works. Someone might just crack their grille and not impale their radiator.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I leave it in, only if I will be using it frequently. It is out (and stowed in the trailer box) right now.

I HATE hitting it with my shins, and there isn't a lot of room behind the truck in the garage.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have to take it out. For some brilliant reason, Chevy decided to put the backup sensors right by the hitch, so it triggers it when a three ball hitch is in place. I do throw it on if I know a big winter storm is coming to act as a pre bumper.

Top Bottom