• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    My Marlin Model 81 was my first firearm and was a Christmas present sometime in the late 50's. After looking up some threads on Rimfire Central I decided to attempt reducing the trigger pull, but used this project as an excuse to get a trigger pull gauge. Purchased a Pridefend digital trigger pull gauge off of Amazon for $20.00. FYI - I'm cheap, since I don't make my living working on guns. The pull gauge does the job it is intended to do and I feel it is much more accurate than a Lyman spring pull gauge would be at 1/3 the cost of the entry level digital gauges.

Replaced the trigger spring with a spring from a BIC lighter and got a pull weight of just over 2# but ran into the problem of the sear not always engaging when the bolt was activated. The factory spring had a bit of a crimp on the end that was not in the hole in the trigger, so straightened that out and reversed it and went back to the factory spring and put some anti seize on the sear and got an improved pull weight with consistent sear engagement.

For a low end digital trigger pull gauge I would recommend the Pridefend Trigger Pull Gauge.

Now I have to wait for the weather to improve to get some range time in.
    Pridefend Trigger Pull Gauge 2R2.jpg
    Marlin Model 81 with factory spring and anti seize on the sear.
    Marlin 81 Stock Pull 2R2.jpg
    S&W SW22 with TandemKross trigger.
    S&W SW22R.jpg
    Beretta 92S Dual Action
    Beretta 92S Dual ActionR.jpg
    Beretta 92S Single Action
    Beretta 92S Single Action 2R.jpg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I did the trigger on my Glenfield 25, which I imagine is very similar to your 81. I stoned some nasty machining marks off of the engagement surfaces and replaced the spring with a piece of one that I got in a kit from wolf. It's the perfect diameter and heavier than a Bic spring (I'd read about that trick online, but was uncomfortable with how light it was so I never tried putting it in there), but a bit lighter than factory. I now have a safe, reliable trigger on an old $90 rifle that is better than the one on my CZ 457. It's really satisfying when stuff like that works out!

Top Bottom