• ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    SIDENOTE #1:
    When I used to work downtown district, I got to know a lot of the "homeless" folks. A very small few were actually homeless - and most had humility and manners. One guy, named Bobby, was the nicest fella you could meet. He did a lot of cash jobs for businesses, just enough to keep him afloat. He used to help out other "homeless" people until he got robbed by some of them by the Wheeler Mission. The guys and I who used to see him on a regular basis (he was a great witness - even showed up to court on case once - clean and shaven) helped him get in contact with his daughter from St. Louis. She came and got him and last I heard he was working at a hotel as a janitor.

Sidenote #2:
    After I transferred to a plainclothes unit, I was on a surveillance downtown when I ran across the old guy with the "Why lie: it's for beer" sign. I gave him 5 bucks for it and camped out across the street from my BG's shady business all day. Got a lot of good intel on him that day...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I'm not turning this into a CC vs OC thread jack, so dont take it this way. I OC majority of the time. I have found that i have never been approached by pan handlers while I open carry. However, my mother who is a strong anti gun sheeple always get approached and asked for change. I know this because she always calls me and tells some strang guy came up to me and then she gets really paniced and almost yells HE COULD OF HAD A GUN. I always laugh at this because i keep telling her to get her LCTH. Anyways, has anyone noticed this as well? I'm interested if a female has noticed this as well or are they just approached more because of a woman's emotional nature.

I do get approached more when I am alone than when I am with the hubby. I keep a good distance from anyone approaching me that I do not know, tell them that's far enough or whatever. I do not OC, but I don't hesitate to place my hand on my side for anyone that does get to close and makes me feel uncomfortable.
    I've only had it happen a couple of times where my situational awareness was not where it should have been and someone got WAY to close, the one time the door wasn't shut on the car yet and when I went to shut it, there she stood between me in the drivers seat and the door which stood open. Before she made a sound I told her she needed to back off now before we could even talk. She backed up and I shut the door and drove off.
    I'm sure it had something to do with buckling a kid or something that kept me from being aware, it hasn't happened since that time though.

IMPULSE.ACTIONS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There
    Sidenote #2:
    After I transferred to a plainclothes unit, I was on a surveillance downtown when I ran across the old guy with the "Why lie: it's for beer" sign. I gave him 5 bucks for it and camped out across the street from my BG's shady business all day. Got a lot of good intel on him that day...

The big question is how much did you make with the sign while you were sitting there? :D

We were in Hooters downtown years ago and took the extra wings we had with us. There was a homeless man sitting down the road on the side of the building and we decided to give them to him. He was very humbled and grateful so we decided if we saw him during our meeting the next week we would do the same thing. After a few consecutive weeks of seeing him we started getting him enough for a good dinner and a drink when we would leave. He never asked for anything and was always very thankful for what we would give him. During the winter that year we would make a trip just to take him food about everyother day and took him a blanket and pillow also. A couple weeks later during our regular routine he asked for a smoke and some change. Needless to say we never went back after that day...

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    After trying to help people that come up to me with requests for food or gas, and having them ask for money- I will never give anything to another panhandler.

ONce this lady drove up to me in the parking lot of Lowes and gave me what I considered the most ridiculous, classic made-up sob story. It had a sick grandma, it had a broken down car, kids, etc. I just chuckled and asked what she needed. she said gasoline for her car (which she was driving.) So I told her that I was about to go get some gas and to follow me to the gas station which was literally connected to the parking lot that we were in at the time. When I headed over to the gas station, I lost her because I wasn't paying attention. She never showed up. Then later on, I ran into her again that same day in the same general part of town. I pulled up to her and she was in the process of telling her bull**** story to some other guy. I tried to tell her to follow me to a gas station and was saying things like "where were you?"

She ignored me.

Next time I get panhandled I am going to do what the OP suggests just for kicks.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sidenote #2:

The big question is how much did you make with the sign while you were sitting there? :D...

If you had not beaten me to it, I was going to ask the same thing. :lmfao:

Like many of you, I see panhandlers all the time, many of whom look well capable of working. I occasionally get that little "tap tap tap" on the inside of my brain that makes me notice a begger as opposed to just being aware of him. One in particular was a guy with his dog at an on ramp to the highway, apparently traveling/hitching. I did a U turn as quickly as I could safely do it, went back to the nearby grocery and bought some of the "quick lunch kits" from Star Kist Tuna and some dog food in peel-off-top cans. Six meals each; total cost, probably $20. I went back and he'd moved on a bit, but I found him again, stopped my car and took it over to him. I got a very genuine thanks and wished both of them well.

Still feels good, years later.

Blessings,
    Bill

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I'm interested if a female has noticed this as well or are they just approached more because of a woman's emotional nature.

I would guess, but was on a high school trip to france and one of our "adult leaders" was female and military, some guy approached her and apparently in his trying to sell some little trinket touched her breast... she kicked his... well you know pretty bad and sent him running off (after he picked himself up off the ground)

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    World's laziest panhandler

So years back (7+ mind you :D). I was working in downtown Detroit. We used to pass this guy panhandling from the side of the road by a freeway entrance/intersection.
    He woiuld sit on his butt and had a sign and a cup on a stick that he would put up to people's car windows. Now this guy was not elderly, was sitting on a milkcrate and was seen walking from different sections of the corner. So, he's able to to walk and move around.....

Anyway one day the coworker driving said she was going to roll down the window for him to help out. I informed her that if she did I would have him move the cup my way and take it 0ff the stick as the light changed.
    She said "You wouldn't dare!"

Guess who was wrong?

Still feels good, years later.....:):

Another good trick is to turn on your windshield washers before they can spray them with cleaner if you run into the ambitious type.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Last trip to Cali I found out why EVERYONE had those little white headphones in their ears. THEY ARE BUM REPELLENT!!!! After the 3rd day I put mine on, but not attached to anything. I never got asked for change again.

The downside is that the color of iPod headphones is also known as "mug me white", because people wearing them tend to be oblivious.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Where in the heck do ALL of the homeless people that beg for money get those Magic Markers and cardboard to make their signs?
    The Dollar Store? It's not like they are broke.

I think the people who sit in gas stations, at the pumps with their car running needing "help" should be called Gashanders instead of panhandlers. Saw a lot of that this winter, not so much right now.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I know a couple of females that pretend to be talking on the cell phone as if it was an intense conversation in order to avoid confrontations. They are really sensitive souls and are emotionally sensitive to others needs. As for me it is a case by case evaluation. For instance one particular aggressive panhandler that was approaching me got the loud response. "YOU'RE NOT GOING TO **** ASk ME ARE YOU?!" ..that was effective.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I know a couple of females that pretend to be talking on the cell phone as if it was an intense conversation in order to avoid confrontations. They are really sensitive souls and are emotionally sensitive to others needs. As for me it is a case by case evaluation. For instance one particular aggressive panhandler that was approaching me got the loud response. "YOU'RE NOT GOING TO **** ASk ME ARE YOU?!" ..that was effective.

wow, thats a great idea! i am going to suggest that to my mom. + Rep for you!

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    We have a couple of regulars around here. One is a guy and his dog (purebred malamute his second) who gets regular Social Security and has family in the area that takes care of him. Mostly harmless. And a couple that claims to be disabled and needing food. My wife runs a food pantry and offered to take them over and get them food. "No that's okay I'll stay here." Walmart has already banned them from their parking lot so they stand just on the side of the road across the street. At least most of what I see lately aren't as pushy as San Diego bums were.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    At least most of what I see lately aren't as pushy as San Diego bums were.

:D too true!! I used to get them hounding me around the boardwalk asking "do you have any weed?"...either burnouts or undercover LEO. At least they were honest...when I came back to IN, I was used to them and the crazy schizophrenics that would occasionally walk into storefronts yelling all kinds of weird stuff. Indiana is tame :):

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    eh...get your best insane face on and grit your teeth while saying "I am NOT violating my parole over your worthless ***". If you can muster up some spittle while saying that and twitching an eye....works wonders.

Of course everyone else's recommendations would work well too. :D

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I work in downtown Indy and pass through MLK and 16th street intersection daily. On occasion there are drug addicts begging for money using the distress scenario.

One that sticks in my mind was a woman that claimed to need gas money to be able to get to the grocery and buy food for her babies that were in the car. Car had its flashing lights on, hood up and everything.

I looked at the car then the lady and told her, as I was rolling up the window,..."you should turn the engine off if your out of gas" and proceeded to my work. The car was running and the radio was playing a local morning radio show. I think she called me everything but white boy. :D

Top Bottom