• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Does anyone have an experience travelling by vehicle from Indiana through IL to Wisconsin with a sidearm?
    (Dont focus on IL already know those laws well)

From reading this website:

If you have an Indiana LTCH, WI will honor it.

So CC is allowed and just stay out of the GFZ (schools, police stations, etc.)
    Plus it appears signs have the weight of law so "no guns sign" = dont enter.

Could the sidearm be left in the vehicle (locked and out of sight) on the business property when they have the no gun sign?

A trip to the dells (first time) is being planned.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just got back from visiting family in Milwaukee. You are correct in your analysis. I've never had an issue in WI. Have fun at the Dells!!

PS- IANAL

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Yep, sounds like you have it down. Don’t expect too much in the way of no gun signs either, we were in the dells a couple years ago and didn’t see a single no gun sign. Of course you can lock it in your vehicle if you do find a restriction

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    We went to the Harley Museum in Milwaukee weekend before last.

Signs carry weight was the main difference I found. The museum had a sign so I went back to car and locked them out of sight

Didn't see one anywhere else we went.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yep, sounds like you have it down. Don’t expect too much in the way of no gun signs either, we were in the dells a couple years ago and didn’t see a single no gun sign. Of course you can lock it in your vehicle if you do find a restriction

Oh great u were there! Does that mean u left those nasty raccoons there as well for me. :p

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Unless you're going the long way... don't forget about driving through the Communist State of Illinois.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Do not forget the Baraboo Circus World Museum is close to the Dells. Stop at the first rest stop in WI and look for a discount book/coupons so you are not paying full price.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Does anyone have an experience travelling by vehicle from Indiana through IL to Wisconsin with a sidearm?
    (Dont focus on IL already know those laws well)

The peaceable journey law allows you to transport it from Indiana to Wisconsin provided you do not stop for too long, but if memory serves me correct you need to have it locked and unaccessible while traveling through Illinois or they could get you for a concealed weapon.

Years ago I traveled from Indiana to Missouri, before I entered Illinois I placed it in a lock box behind the back seat of my extended cab PU. The only way to get to it was to exit the vehicle, open the 3rd door and fold the seat down. That covered the unaccessible part.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The peaceable journey law allows you to transport it from Indiana to Wisconsin provided you do not stop for too long, but if memory serves me correct you need to have it locked and unaccessible while traveling through Illinois or they could get you for a concealed weapon.

Years ago I traveled from Indiana to Missouri, before I entered Illinois I placed it in a lock box behind the back seat of my extended cab PU. The only way to get to it was to exit the vehicle, open the 3rd door and fold the seat down. That covered the unaccessible part.
    Illinois changed ( was forced to change) that with this...

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    What Jedi said, CC in Indiana, stop before Illinois, place an unloaded firearm in a locked container in the trunk separate from the ammo/magazine is what I do, drive to Wisconsin, then stop at the Welcome center or rest area, and re arm.
    Have fun.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    What Jedi said, CC in Indiana, stop before Illinois, place an unloaded firearm in a locked container in the trunk separate from the ammo/magazine is what I do, drive to Wisconsin, then stop at the Welcome center or rest area, and re arm.
    Have fun.
    Did you actually read what Jedi said and what was in the links provided and you still think you need to lock up your gun unloaded when traveling through Illinois? Do you not have your Indiana carry license?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Did you actually read what Jedi said and what was in the links provided and you still think you need to lock up your gun unloaded when traveling through Illinois? Do you not have your Indiana carry license?
    I did, I do, and to be extra safe, I posted what "I" do.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    Sad that in the one place where you are most likely to need your firearm is where you have to keep it "put away".
    I know that's a simple and well understood statement but it had to be said.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I follow the laws and keep it in the vehicle. Should I need to exit the vehicle it gets put in an approved location. See Jedi’s post.

that said I’m less nervous about driving through now that this law has been in place for a few years. At first I was very concerned about getting stopped by Barney fife in the more rural areas who hadn’t been made aware of the changes.

I’ve yet to be stopped though and I make regular trips into and through Illinois.

Top Bottom