• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Four years ago, my family decided to have a "turkey cook-off," with the stipulation that the turkey must be cooked on-site and outside. I have a rather large family (my dad is one of 15 and I have around 80 first cousins at last count), although not everyone comes. We get together the Sunday before Thanksgiving for a large family pitch-in. Anyway, four years ago, we started the "Turkey Cook-Off." I knew there would be some deep fried turkey entries, and I wanted to be different.

After some research, I decided on the trashcan turkey. It really is simple and effective. You can cook a 20 lb. turkey in about 2 hours. Here is my "how-to" guide.

Supplies:
    30-40 lbs. charcoal (2 big bags)
    Aluminum foil
    Shovel
    Wooden or metal (rebar) stake
    Trashcan (20 gallon metal, iirc)
    Turkey
    Bundt pan (optional)

Set up:
    Find a flat piece of bare ground. Make sure you don't care if you lose the grass, etc. that may be there. This cooking method will scorch the ground.

Start your charcoal. I dump 3/4 of the charcoal on the ground and start it up. If you have a charcoal chimney, etc. you can use that.

Place aluminum foil on ground in a square. I use three pieces, so I can double up in the middle. Cover stake in aluminum foil, if using rebar, with a ball on top so the turkey won't slip down. Put the bundt pan in the middle of the foil, then sink the stake down the middle into the ground. Make sure it is in the ground and won't wobble.

2011-11-20_10-21-15_736.jpg

Get your turkey. I let mine sit out around 30-45 minutes to get to "room temperature" before cooking (I do this on everything I grill, etc.). Place turkey on stake like it's standing up (legs down, wings up). Mine has a dry rub on it, but you can do whatever you want (brine, rub, etc.) but that is for another thread. I didn't put any oil on the skin this year because it tends to burn in the high temps.

2011-11-20_10-50-14_124.jpg

Invert the trashcan over the turkey, making sure the turkey is in the middle. Also, make sure you have a good seal between the ground and trashcan. Now place the charcoal around the base of the trashcan and a layer on top. Then I place the extra charcoal around the base and on the top.

2011-11-20_10-56-50_327.jpg

Now it's time to relax, have a beer and smoke a cigar. Set your timer and wait. Whatever you do, Do NOT try to take a peek. After the cook time is up, carefully remove the charcoal with the shovel. Remove the trashcan (make sure to use hot pads), and voila, a perfectly cooked bird. Take the turkey off the stake, let rest for at least 20 minutes, then carve and eat.

imagejpeg952.jpg

This year I did a 17ish pound turkey, and I left it in there for around 1:45. It came out perfect. I won again this year for the cook-off.

All in all, this is a great way to cook a turkey. It really is easy, and makes a terrific tasting bird. You just have to trust the method, and not get overly curious and take a look.

Last edited:

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    also a good idea to cook off the toxic galvanization before you cook your food.

Yes, when I bought it 4 years ago, I started a raging fire inside. I forgot to mention that.

Is the charcoal only around the outside edge and top of the trash can? or was there some under the foil as well?

Only on the outside of the trashcan. Around the bottom and on the top. No charcoal inside with the turkey.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I think this is a cool idea, but I'm not on board with wasting 40 lbs of charcoal for one bird.

I'm with you Benny, that's a lot of charcoal. If I deep fry a bird, I want to do several so I don't have throw out all that oil for just one.

Top Bottom