Marksman
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    Located in Columbus Indiana

$700
    Listed on Ebay as well, for more money.

This is my beloved Vestigal tonearm by Transcriptors. It is based on the word 'vestigial', if you want to look it up.

I bought this used from a Cincinnati audio company many years ago, and sent it out for a rewire immediately. The tonearm wires are copper not silver, which you will want to know in case you want to upgrade to silver at some point. It is rewired with standard tonearm wire, not original Transcriptors wire, which is either good or bad, depending on what you want this for. Fortunately, rewiring is not too hard or expensive should you want to go back to vintage original stock wires.

It works in all ways as it should, at least in my opinion. We've had one of these in the family for over 60 years, and when I left home as an adult I knew I'd buy another one as the 'family' one is still with other members of the family. This one works like it should, but I am using a Shure cartridge that is so light, I have to perch a steel washer on the headshell to get it to put down sufficient tracking force, which I've found is 1.5grams for this system and cartridge. I have no idea what cartridge you may want to use, but if it's as light as my Shure, I will include the washer for counterweight.

The price is going to include the Fisher turntable you see in the pictures, if you want it. The Fisher Studio Standard turntable is not great. It is old, has been heavily modified to work with the Vestigal, and adds quite a bit of feedback at high volume levels in my system, due to acoustic coupling being poor. Admittedly, my speakers are very close to the plinth. In addition, the old motor and spindle bearing and belt are tired, and there is some wow and flutter that continues until enough play time has acrued to warm up old grease and old rubber. In other words, it's not the best TT, but I haven't been bothered to modify another one in recent years, so I just turn on the machine and let it run for a half-hour before I play anything. That will give me smoother playback. The appearance is older and the plexi cover is scratched, and there are some holes from taking out the original tonearm that I have covered with faux knobs. You will receive those of course. The leads going from the Turntable to the amp are a mix of the old wiring, and some newer RCA terminals I had laying around. The turntable has NO guarantees on it. You can feel free to have it but don't expect it to be awesome. Hopefully, you have your own special turntable in mind for this tonearm, and don't even need the turntable.

Local pickup south of Indy somewhere is preferred, or I can demo the unit in my house.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.png

Top Bottom