Training simulation 21 feet in 7 seconds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    We've all heard that it takes an attacker 7 seconds to reach you from 21 feet. I found this video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqQZOyd84o"]YouTube - High Speed Amatuer Pistol Shooting - Sig Sauer p220 .45 ACP[/ame]

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    1) Despite what the caption says, he's hardly "distracted" - he's looking right at the target!

2) the target takes significantly longer to close the 21ft gap than the Tueller Drill standard of 1.5 seconds... not sure where you heard 7 seconds; that would be a friggin eternity!

3) if the target had been a person armed with a knife, he could/would still have inflicted massive damage to the shooter, who made no attempt to get off the line of attack

This video is, IMO, of minimal instructive value.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    We've all heard that it takes an attacker 7 seconds to reach you from 21 feet.

Looks like 21 feet in 2.75 seconds and he was facing the target, imagine how little time you would have it it was coming from the side or from behind or was not paying attention.

BTW timed my wife walking down the hallway without her knowing it and she walked 31 feet in 7 seconds, and this was just a casual walk.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I cant find it now but I have seen a demonstration where a man with knife drawn would incapacitate/defeat a man with a pistol holstered before he could draw and fire from 21 feet...

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    A friend and I used to run these drills on each other (with safe guns of course).

He could rarely draw before I was there.

I could draw and dryfire at his head about 75% of the time. The rest of the time, I either missed, didn't complete the draw before he was there, or put it someplace else on his body.

At that time, and through today, I practice drawing about 100x per night, give or take.

Have a plan to fend off while you're drawing. The gun alone won't do it.

Josh <><

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    forgive my ignorance but wouldnt your first reaction be to get some distance between you and the attacker?
    I understand the attacker is closing the gap quickly but couldnt you off set that by moving? either moving backwards as fast as you can or to the side...I would think it would atleast buy you enough time to draw your weapon?
    it would be easy to practice in your own home..have someone hide in the house{without letting you know where} and start walking your house and when your near the other person can run out and "attack"...sure you know its going to happen but atleast there will be a little surprise to it:dunno:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    1) Despite what the caption says, he's hardly "distracted" - he's looking right at the target!

2) the target takes significantly longer to close the 21ft gap than the Tueller Drill standard of 1.5 seconds... not sure where you heard 7 seconds; that would be a friggin eternity!

3) if the target had been a person armed with a knife, he could/would still have inflicted massive damage to the shooter, who made no attempt to get off the line of attack

This video is, IMO, of minimal instructive value.

Shooter521 is right on! 1.5 sec is the rule for 21 feet.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    This ios where we need to loose the over dependence on our firearms. I've always been taught the 1.5 second rule. And it is darn near impossible to react, draw, aim, fire, and stop in that amount of time. For this scenario an unarmed physical response a waffle stop to his manhood while you move to disarm would be better than even attempting a draw.

learning hand to hand (or as in my example foot to nuts) is important.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I do not believe Tueller intended for his research to become a "rule" and definitely didn't intend for it to become a game that people try to beat. He was justifying LEO shootings that involved people with knives at greater-than-contact distances. Period.

He settled on 21 feet because that was the average distance a normal person could cross in 1.5 seconds. The 1.5 seconds comes from how long it took the average LEO to draw and fire one shot from the holster.

Distraction, momentum, time delay to incapacity, bad hits, outright misses and a host of other factors mean that standing and delivering shots while someone is charging with a knife is a very bad idea. As others have stated, movement and a combination of empty hand techniques and/or multiple shots to vital areas have a much greater chance of success than standing with your feet planted trying to get off that one shot.

All Tueller showed is that attackers with edged or other contact weapon are still dangerous at what some uneducated people might consider a "safe" distance.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I do not believe Tueller intended for his research to become a "rule" and definitely didn't intend for it to become a game that people try to beat. He was justifying LEO shootings that involved people with knives at greater-than-contact distances. Period.

He settled on 21 feet because that was the average distance a normal person could cross in 1.5 seconds. The 1.5 seconds comes from how long it took the average LEO to draw and fire one shot from the holster.

Distraction, momentum, time delay to incapacity, bad hits, outright misses and a host of other factors mean that standing and delivering shots while someone is charging with a knife is a very bad idea. As others have stated, movement and a combination of empty hand techniques and/or multiple shots to vital areas have a much greater chance of success than standing with your feet planted trying to get off that one shot.

All Tueller showed is that attackers with edged or other contact weapon are still dangerous at what some uneducated people might consider a "safe" distance.

We have a winner .........

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    forgive my ignorance but wouldnt your first reaction be to get some distance between you and the attacker?
    I understand the attacker is closing the gap quickly but couldnt you off set that by moving? either moving backwards as fast as you can or to the side...I would think it would atleast buy you enough time to draw your weapon?
    it would be easy to practice in your own home..have someone hide in the house{without letting you know where} and start walking your house and when your near the other person can run out and "attack"...sure you know its going to happen but atleast there will be a little surprise to it:dunno:

My most likely to draw/fire scenario would be while with my family. And I am not running away from protecting my family.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    1.5 seconds doesn't seem like a lot of time to draw, aim, and fire. Would this be a situation where having a knife, and the skill to use it in a knife-on-knife fight, be appropriate? I would imagine that I could grab a knife out of my belt in 1.5 seconds.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I would certainly hope you wouldnt run away from protecting your family.
    if your with your family and some wack job decides to to attack I would think the attacker will most likely try to take out the biggest threat which would be you...his attention will be on you and if you dont move your likely to get stuck or shot...then will most likely be of no use. best thing to do is teach your family to run the opposite direction of the threat..and keep running no matter what happens to you.

and the segway idea is awesome:rockwoot:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    1.5 seconds doesn't seem like a lot of time to draw, aim, and fire. Would this be a situation where having a knife, and the skill to use it in a knife-on-knife fight, be appropriate? I would imagine that I could grab a knife out of my belt in 1.5 seconds.

perhaps..but your leg is longer than any blade you'd be able to carry and Im sure you can deploy that faster than you could pull a knife..and a well placed kick to the groin,head or ribs will likely stop the attacker pretty quick.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Shooter521 is not talking about running away! you have two options close and engage! or move to cover and engage, at any rate you do not want to stand and be a target yourself whether it be a knife or a gun the prep has, Most of us have spent our entire life standing in one spot when we are out at the range target shooting, you have trained yourself to stand there and be a target yourself.
    You should train to shoot on the move shoot from odd angles seek cover when ever possible,you stand a 50% greater chance of surviving a deadly encounter by not being where you were when the encounter started, you do not have much time in an encounter like this one, My option would be to create a longer reactionary gap to allow me more time to draw and engage the target, continue to move and shoot until the threat does not exists.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I use the Tueller drill in my basic course (if I have time) only to show the students how far a person can travel before you can realize a threat, draw and get a shot off. The problems Shay metioned also have to be taken into consideration. When the drill is done the person KNOWS they are going to draw. They are not taken by surprise. Never has a student gotten a shot off before I could run 70 feet, and I'm no track star at age 43, 6', 233 lbs.

I use the drill in the context of teaching awareness. Anyone within 100 feet of you could easily be a threat. One only has to watch the Wal Mart security video of that guy in Arkansas running 100 yards across a parking lot and slamming a girl through her car door as she opened it to realize this. She was raped, murdered and dumped that day.

Again, the moral of the lesson is to BE AWARE. Keep your eyes moving!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash

Try drawing the pistol against a timer. You might surprise yourself... :rockwoot:

Top Bottom