• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Are you carrying the CAT as shown in the picture?

It's very difficult to apply under stress, and fast, if you need to first remove the velcro tab before you can turn the windlass.

It ads one extra step before you can stop the bleeding.
    Fumbling with that velcro tab, as you bleed out, could be the last thing you do in your life.

When you lose enough blood you lose fine motor skills, like finger tip dexterity.
    That happen under stress too if you need to apply it to someone else (even if you're not losing blood yourself).

It might be impossible for you to peel off that velcro tab with two fingers.
    And just as impossible with gloves on.

You want to have it as in the OP's picture.
    Or even better with a tiny bit of the tab sticking out to have more purchase.

You want to mess with that velcro tab once the tourniquet is applied, and the bleeding has stopped.
    It should be the last thing you do (even you even do it), not the first step.
    Decaf bub, it's just a pic. I agree.

Speaking of training, Stop The Bleed classes are free, and held all over the lands all year. I would advise taking one. The wound simulator is useful. I take one every year at Franciscan in Greenwood for ***** and giggle.

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Decaf bub, it's just a pic. I agree.

Speaking of training, Stop The Bleed classes are free, and held all over the lands all year. I would advise taking one. The wound simulator is useful. I take one every year at Franciscan in Greenwood for ***** and giggle.

I just took one of those myself at the same place. Not bad for the cost :). I got certified in wilderness first aid for the boy scouts and that covered all of the stop the bleed material and more but I would encourage everyone to take a stop the bleed course. Gives you the fundamentals anyway.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I just took one of those myself at the same place. Not bad for the cost :). I got certified in wilderness first aid for the boy scouts and that covered all of the stop the bleed material and more but I would encourage everyone to take a stop the bleed course. Gives you the fundamentals anyway.
    Awesome sauce. What group did you do WFR through? I went EMR in late 2019. Was signed up for WFR in 2020 but that got squashed. Hoping to get it in '22. This year has been rough at work, no time for ANY sort of training.

An additional TQ faux-pas: "practicing" with the TQ intended for life saving events. To me they are a one time use item. Dont run the risk of breaking a strap when you need it due to overuse. Get a blue or orange one for this.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Awesome sauce. What group did you do WFR through? I went EMR in late 2019. Was signed up for WFR in 2020 but that got squashed. Hoping to get it in '22. This year has been rough at work, no time for ANY sort of training.

An additional TQ faux-pas: "practicing" with the TQ intended for life saving events. To me they are a one time use item. Dont run the risk of breaking a strap when you need it due to overuse. Get a blue or orange one for this.

It was organized through the local scouting council but the certification was through ECSI.

jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    Yeah, the gloves have already popped off once. I need to look into alternative solutions. I don't really like this on my belt. If i have an undershirt, the Velcro grabs at my over shirt and makes it ride up. If I put my undershirt over it, the Velcro irritates your skin. I tried rotating it 90 degrees but that was a no go. My shirt rides up even worse. I dropped the holster down on the clip and it seems better but now it hangs below my shirt. Maybe I need to look into those ankle kits but they look even more awkward.
    Have you looked at the SOFT-T tourniquet? Its somewhat similar to the CAT tourniquet but works without velcro. https://softourniquet.com

Top Bottom