TOUGH question, friend needing ammo.............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    A neighbor, who is also a good friend, that is late to the game, bought himself an AK, that came with a minimal amount of ammo, roughly 250 rounds. He has ask me if I would "consider" selling him a case of my stash. The ammo I bought some time back is super hard to find and ridiculously expensive in the current market. So, my quandary is, I really don't have a problem selling him a 1000 round case, but what is fair market value for Golden Tiger BTHP ammo? I sincerely want to be fair, but I realize the INSANE prices and availability currently. If he wasn't such a good neighbor and friend it would be an unequivocal, sorry none for sale.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Find a place (online or local) for your friend to buy some ammo. You would have to do so to replace what you sell. Don't let him start to think that you can be the go to for his needs. He needs to get out in the real world.

If he needs enough rounds to be ready for home defense that's different, but let him buy by the case from the regular market.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Find a place (online or local) for your friend to buy some ammo. You would have to do so to replace what you sell. Don't let him start to think that you can be the go to for his needs. He needs to get out in the real world.

If he needs enough rounds to be ready for home defense that's different, but let him buy by the case from the regular market.
    Agreed!
    Similar issue, friend/s either want me to sell @ pre-nutty $$$ or sell reloads for cheap, I send them links to where to buy or put their name on “notify me”.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I have never had a problem giving a friend a mag full of ammo until they can acquire a larger quantity. The call on a case though is really yours. An acquaintance will have to pay a fair market value for the ammo although I’ll sweeten the deal .A close friend and I only have a handful I consider that would get it for exactly what I have in it for pre stupidity pricing. I’ve gotten into some calibers lately that I didn’t have stock on and am perfectly willing to pay the price to have stock in those calibers. I guess I’m saying if I let this guy have it for what I have in it would he do the same if the roles were reversed. To me that’s a important part of a friendship….. about like kin.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I let my brother in law have a 100 round bulk pack of 20ga that I had as he was needing some. I bought this from a friend that picked it up by mistake instead of 12ga. I didn't even have a 20ga and this was <$20 I'm sure. 2 weeks later I ended up paying a lot more for 20ga after I picked up an over/under Browning I didn't know I needed until then. I have no regrets as he would have given to me the roles reversed. I agree, how good a friend do you have?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive given out boxes of defensive ammo before, to be returned/replaced when they found a replacement. But I'd have to have quite a few cases to do the same at that quantity.

And another vote for selling at least close to what you would have to pay to replace it if you want to be generous. But probably the better thing to do would be what was suggested upthread and have him subscribe to email alerts and be prepared to buy and cry like the rest of us.

And remember, we're not in a dire life or death situation. He cant find "gas" for his "toy". Its not the end of the world. (yet) Especially if he's already sitting on 250 rounds. Sad, but not a situation that I'd consider an emergency worthy of reducing my stock.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I had people i hadn't seen or shot with in years wanting to purchase ammo, i did sell some to a couple close friends, jacked up the prices to others as i had a abundance of certain rounds, Then i just quit selling helping most of them, really close friends, family is all i would help, then started telling them where to get ammo when it became available! I reload bur don't sell my reloads as i don't want to take a chance on that legal issues?!!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also, I found that many newbies just dont know where to buy ammo. If they cant walk into a Cabelas or Walmart and slap some cash on the counter, they are lost.

Sometimes you just need to point them at the SGAmmo's of the world and teach them where to get it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There is no shortage of 7.62x39. Rural King has so much they can't put it all on the shelf at once for $11.99 a box. If he can't find any, it's because he's not even trying to look and assuming you'll help him out.

There's no shortage. He should suck it up and buy his own. Ammo seek currently shows 393 sources of in-stock 7.62x39.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My LGS has Barnaul for 60 cent. I saw some Red Army a few days ago on line for 40 cents. So it is pretty freely available. I would not sell my GT that I bought a year or two ago for under $200 at my cost. Sorry.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm in the "show them where to buy" camp. I have two friends that always ask me to sell them ammo. When I run out, then what?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Give a man ammo and he will shoot for a day. Teach a man where to find ammo and he will shoot for the rest of his life.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    How close a friend?

He has 250 rounds? That's enough to get by. If things take a drastic turn for the worse (LA riots, Ferguson, etc.) and he's a neighbor, you can easily hook him up with more.

You can always tell him you don't have enough to sell any, but if thigs get all Ferguson, you'll share what you have. Not a lie at all.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Several guys I know that have been shooting since long before politics started causing these shortages asked about buying ammo from me. I told every one of them that I would give them what they want as long as they replace it within a reasonable amount of time. None of them took me up on the offer.

I haven't looked into buying anything since covoid, are the shelves getting stocked at all?

Top Bottom