• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Today was an AWESOME day!! Today was the first time I was able to get my girls to agree to go shooting with dad and man what a great day.

My girls are 12 & 14 yrs old, and yes I wanted to get them into shooting long before now but neither one really had the desire to go but all the stars must have lined up today. Before we left we reviewed the 4 rules of firearm safety (I had been over those rules before with them but wanted to reinforce them). After triple checking the guns ( a Ruger SR22 and a Remington 597) we worked on how to safely handle and operate them prior to leaving home.

At the range (a private range at a friends house, which took a lot of pressure off of them since there was no audience to watch them) we started off with the Ruger SR22. Both girls were understandably apprehensive of shooting for the first time and neither one was able to hit the target the first magazine (but both stayed on the target stand). After the first magazines we reviewed how to get the right sight picture (which we had covered multiple times at home and once we were at the range), breathing control (and how its a good thing to breath :) ), & trigger control. For both of them on the second magazine they were able to get most of their shots on paper. By the third magazines both were able to shrink their groups down to about 5", which was AWESOME. By the time we left (approximately 300 rounds later) the both were under 4" groups and both had multiple bulls eyes. They were shooting from about 7 yards away.

We then switched to the Remington 597 and were shooting from about 30 yards away (the Remington has a cheap but usable scope on it). I set up a card table and had a folding chair there that they could sit on to help the brace the rifle. Again both were apprehensive about shooting a rifle but that went away by the second magazine :). Both were able to shoot under 6" groups using the rifle.

As soon as we got hmoe they couldn't wait to show mom their targets :)

Unfortunately I did not take a camera with me, so no pics :(

Like I said to begin with WOW what a great day, I haven't had this enjoyable of a day for a long time.

Just wanted to be a proud dad and brag a little!!!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Well done. Now you can breathe a little easier knowing that your daughters have first hand experience with proper firearm safety.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Well done. Now you can breathe a little easier knowing that your daughters have first hand experience with proper firearm safety.

Yep that and, was extremely happy with how excited they were and how much they enjoyed shooting. I told them both how proud I was of them and they way they listened and practiced safe gun handling.

bob190e

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I want to start teaching my 9 year old how to shoot. I have a ruger MK3, 10/22 and an old single shot 410 that I used to shoot when I was a kid. I thought I could start him off on these. He had come to watch some trap shooting with me and has expressed an interest in shooting.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I want to start teaching my 9 year old how to shoot. I have a ruger MK3, 10/22 and an old single shot 410 that I used to shoot when I was a kid. I thought I could start him off on these. He had come to watch some trap shooting with me and has expressed an interest in shooting.

Sounds like great guns to start him off on!

Top Bottom