• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Most people say that having 1 bag is good enough, but how many do you have?

I've been putting a lot of thought into this the past couple months. We all have 1 that we have ready to go, but we have discussed the vehicle bags and other ideas. I mean after all, FEMA says to be prepared right!

The next question is what bag do you use? I've got a couple, but I really like the looks and reviews of the DRAGO 14 pack.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I personally have a few but not dedicated. I have a dedicated GHB and BOB/Hiking Pack. I dual-purpose my BOB so I get to carry it as much as possible and also to use the gear as much as possible. My GHB (Get Home Bag) is a Maxpedition Sitka and my BOB is a Eberlestock Halftrack. I also have a Kelty Peregrine that I could use but it's a generic design and I normally use it for small trips or whatever.

My GHB serves as my vehicle bag as it goes everywhere I go but I've been tossing around the idea of a more vehicle oriented pack/box for my car.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Since I get disarmed when I come to work, I have my GHB - sans firearm :( in the car along with other supplies that are legal for me to keep in the car at work. Then I have my 72hr BOB that lives at home and gets tossed in the car on the weekends.

Ready to go, should the need be, I have an internal frame pack that I can load up and use if I forsee the need to have supplies to last longer than 72hrs.

Oh and I have a 2 bags for SideArmed Jr., one GHB and one 72hr BOB.

So to answer your question, no, one bag isn't enough. I don't really have a specific brand/type, just some comfortable backpacks, or over the shoulder messanger types. The Internal frame pack is a Ketly that I got many moons ago, in my hiking days.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Only have one bag per person. I'm moving gear into pelican cases and medical transport cases as I get time. They are water proof and take a beating. If I ever have to grab and go, it will save me time............

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My GHB serves as my vehicle bag as it goes everywhere I go but I've been tossing around the idea of a more vehicle oriented pack/box for my car.
    I would say that you most likely would be better off keeping your GHB bag for times when you may not be able to get your car/ truck home. By having the bag it allows you to be agile and mobile instead of having to take your car/truck or carry an awkward box/large bag to get home to get to your stash.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    if it would be an addition then i dont see any harm you can have more of a 1st aid kit, food, water, ammo, etc. I would put one together...I should put one together myself.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Only have one bag per person. I'm moving gear into pelican cases and medical transport cases as I get time. They are water proof and take a beating. If I ever have to grab and go, it will save me time............

Funny you mention the pelican cases. I've used them for other things and I've got a couple that I keep inside my bag, one for firestarting kit and the other for oddball stuff I don't want wet. I've been thinking about getting more and probably will. All to go inside the bag.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have one BOB that is heavily decked out for SHTF but it "looks militaryish" - it's a Maxpedition Vulture II in foliage green. I love the color and once it's in the woods, it will blend in quite well but it would put a bullseye on me in an urban area so my GHB I carry in my car is an old Eastern Moutain Sports backpack that looks like it could belong to a granola munching hippie.

I also have a Maxpedition Thermite Versipack that I bought because it looked awesome, was the same color as the backpack but I have to admit at the time I didn't know what to do with it but I had a feeling I would figure it out. Then it hit me. I keep spare pistol mags, energy bars, mini light, a small bottle of water and a small first aid kit in there separate from the big BOB so I could have a small bag to dip into in the event I needed something on the go but needed to keep moving and not spend the time taking off and going into the big bag. It's my modern version of a "possibles bag".

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    We have multiple bags, 72hr and some get home bags, 72 hour bags are military issue Alice packs. I have bet one of them to death with no real issues. Yeah there is stuff more comfortable but also costs more and I k ow the Alice pack works.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The wife and I each have a BOB that is more of an "indefinite" survival pack, each set up the same and the kids each have a pack. The 2 younger ones just have a couple changes of clothes and a rain poncho in their bags while the oldest has that plus fishing gear, fire starting gear, knife, slingshot and a few other necessities. I also have a couple of Navy sea bags and some plastic totes with other gear for the occasion that there may be enough time to get it all loaded in the vehicle and drive out. I keep the obvious "emergency" gear in the vehicles at all times and my pockets contain enough to get by on if need be. I suggest that skills and knowledge are far more important than "gear" and it doesn't take up any space or weigh a lot.

But yes, I agree with most that diversifying options is a good idea.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Have BoBs in each vehicle. BoB will outfit two, if necessary, and I carry a second empty pack in each vehicle. Each firearm bag also has a small survival kit.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom