• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Celebrities need to keep there nose out these issues. Especially when they haven't a clue as to what they are talking about. Stupid comes in all walks of life. No one knows until they open their mouth to prove it.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is Dungy even old enough to remember when there was a gun registry in Indiana? My grandfather said you used to have to register pistols with the county Sheriff, but that's been a loooong time ago. Like Korean War era.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Not much of a fan of James Harrison but:

Roethlisberger's teammate, James Harrison, is a gun collector and one of the most avid gun advocates in sports. Harrison reacted to the Belcher story with sadness, but the all-pro linebacker is unapologetic about his passion for firearms.

"It has nothing to do with the guns," Harrison says. "Somebody goes out and kills somebody with a knife; you going to blame the knife? It's the person who did it who's responsible."

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    If only knives were outlawed, Nichole and Ronald would be alive today.

I had to write that down to see how stupid it looked.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Dungy finally found something he knows less about than football, the firearms laws of Indiana.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Don't we have de facto registration anyway though? If you buy a gun from a shop, they record the transaction on the ATF form. I'm sure that's recorded forever, and available to the ATF at a moments notice.

Am I wrong?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Looking at article, and what Dungy was talking about, I simply think he mis-spoke, so calm down everybody before we start buringing Dungy in effigy. He makes reference to the players carrying the guns everyday, as in, on their person....

ie from the article as told to Dungy:

"Coach, you're living in another world. I've owned a gun since I was young. Guns were kept in my family, I'm going to carry a gun when I go out on the streets in Indianapolis."

I don't think Dungy is saying that the players need to register the weapons per se, but if that if they are going "carry...out on the streets in Indianapolis," they needed to be legal. I think he's referencing a LTCH rather than an actual registration.

Wrong term but excellent advice.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    NFL players: Three out of four own guns

"When Dungy, now an NBC analyst, was coaching the Colts, he'd always ask at the first team meeting of the year, "How many of you guys have guns?" Then he would tell the players that they needed to register their weapons in Indiana."

:facepalm:

P.S. Sorry if this is a dupe.

Thank you thank you for posting this. Heard this mentioned by Colin Cowherd today on the ride into work. Almost jumped out of my seat, terribly incorrect.

The only question is, I've only been in Indiana 6 years, dungy was here before that, did the laws change????

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't we have de facto registration anyway though? If you buy a gun from a shop, they record the transaction on the ATF form. I'm sure that's recorded forever, and available to the ATF at a moments notice.

Am I wrong?

Yes and no. The dealer keeps that form forever (or until he goes out of business) and the ATF can look at the form you filled out or the dealer's bound book which records all of his firearm transactions, but since the law specifies 'bound book' the ATF cannot legally update to electronic records so they have to follow procedures and physically go to the shop and look at the records. Not much insulation, but at least they can't do it on their computers without ever leaving their offices. The extra joker in the deck is that while the record is reasonably accurate for recent purchases, how in the universe are they going to make any sense out of 20 year old records on guns that have a high probability of having been resold, maybe several times?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ... how in the universe are they going to make any sense out of 20 year old records on guns that have a high probability of having been resold, maybe several times?

We don't. I never request the records unless the prosecutor asks me to. Its almost always a waste of time.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute

Am I wrong?
    not if you buy via private sale. As far as the ATF knows, I've only got 1 gun

Top Bottom