• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    For you guys that own a Tippmann what would be better about the Elite but more weight. My AR15 all have Polymer forends and I find them robust and much lighter. As far as I see this is the only difference between the two guns

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Tippmann has expanded their line-up and I don't claim to be an expert in the model variations. The aluminum hand guard does weigh just a tad more but I was not impressed with their polymer hand guards, at all.

Yes - I am old and think guns should be steel and wood - so take that into consideration with my opinion.

There are accessories that I like about TIppmann like their sights (plastic but not bad) and their magazines but I would pay the $100 (?) upcharge for the aluminum handguard. Again - this is going to be a personal preference.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I will say this, so much "stuff" (like triggers) are proprietal I say pass, you can build a 22 much nicer

The M4-22 takes standard AR triggers, safeties, and furniture (on serial numbers above 20k, which was years ago). It also takes milspec buffer tubes, forward assists, take down pins, dust covers, and mag release buttons. There are proprietary parts, sure, it's a 22... but they are all readily available from Tippmann.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    For you guys that own a Tippmann what would be better about the Elite but more weight. My AR15 all have Polymer forends and I find them robust and much lighter. As far as I see this is the only difference between the two guns

The handguards are the only difference between the Elite and the Pro. I personally like the aluminum handguard of the Elite so it matches the weight of my standard ARs better. It's actually heavier than one of my ARs.

There are also a lot of other polymer parts on both models such as the charging handle, dust cover, forward assist (although the portion of the forward assist that operates against the bolt is metal), mag release button, and safety. I've never had an issue with any of these parts being plastic.

I thought I'd want an aluminum charging handle when they were released, but the polymer one works fine and the aluminum one would just fix a problem that doesn't exist. Since it pulls out about half as far as a standard AR (the 22 obviously isn't nearly as long as a 5.56), I really pull it hard and bottom it out all the time and it's taken a lot of abuse because of that. I figured I'd have broken it by now, but it's still working like it was day one.

I've been really happy with my Tippmann the last few years. I't s good rimfire trainer that lets me work it like an actual AR (minus the length the charging handle pulls out to load a round as stated in the above paragraph) using cheaper ammo and not iritating my neighbors as much as a 5.56 would. It also lets me run drills a lot closer to my steel targets without tearing them up.

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've got a bunch of tack driver 22LR guns but I want a 22LR in an AR platform
    I think he was saying that you could build a .22 AR much nicer, without the proprietary parts, and with real metal controls. I'm not sure what the Tippmans are going for on the street, but based on a quick look at their MSRPs online, you could probably build it cheaper, too, and make it exactly how you want it.

I built a dedicated .22 LR last year, started with this barrel and bolt kit and assembled the rest with standard AR stuff (except for a proprietary bolt catch so it would engage the .22 Bolt). It's been accurate and more reliable than any other semi-auto .22 rifle I've ever owned and feels just like my "real" ARs...up until the recoil.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-barrels-parts/.22lr-barrel--bolt-group-kit-m4/

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I've got a 2011 Bushmaster M4 that I don't even use. Traded for it cheap. I was thinking about maybe turning it into a 22LR. Maybe a CMMG kit and mods. It has a 1:9 twist and I would think that would be OK for around 50 yards.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I have had a tippman for 7 years now. It was a pro, but the plastic handguard was too flimsy so I replaced it with the elite model and have been very happy with it.

Top Bottom