• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    My wife and i got invited to a 25th wedding anniversary for one of her cousins. We got there at about 3p when it was to start. At the time only a handful of people were there but it quickly filled up. I noticed and pointed out to my wife another man (we'll call him Frank) that was, like me, openly carrying. After going outside for a smoke and the typical gun conversation, Frank and I went back in and had the meal.

When we were finished we decided to let the kids run and play on the equipment. Another guy quickly followed me out and instantly asked "Why do you carry?" I processed to tell him for my personal and family protection. He then said by law I had to conceal carry it in Indiana. I told him that according to the state of Indiana it didn't matter how I carried as long as I had the license to carry, Frank said the same thing and that he could go to Indiana.gov to read up on the law. That's when the man asked if I had my LTCH, I told him that yes I do have my LTCH. Then he started asking question's like "what are you afraid of?" and saying things like "well your at a family event" and other things of that nature. The entire time he was saying those things, he was not getting in my face but still within my personal space.

That's when the guy went over another man that was standing around by his truck and asked him if me and Frank where right. He was then told that yes we were correct and that we could openly carry if we wanted to. At this point the man standing by his truck identified himself as a sheriff with vanderburgh county. The sheriff went on to say that as this was a private event and that the building was being rented by the family and it was up to them on whether or not to allow the carry of weapons. However, he also went on to say that they preferred that we leave the weapons in our cars. After a few minutes of talking back and forth between me, the sheriff, and the man who had started this whole thing, the sheriff came right out and said that we could either just go ahead and place the weapons in our cars or leave.

So at this point, as I have done in the past, I gathered my family up and left. I noticed that as I was getting the kids into the car and the wife was saying goodbye to some of the family member's there that she was closer to, that Frank was also doing the same thing as me and gathering his family up and leaving.

After leaving and getting out of eye sight of the group, Frank and i stood and talked about the whole ordeal. I apologized and he said that it was not my fault but theirs. I guess the bright side of this whole ordeal was that my wife has decided that she is most definitely going to get her LTCH and carry as well... all this took place in about 2.5 hours.

Sounds to me that you got lucky!!!! I'm going to start carrying to all of my wifes family events and with any luck they will ask us to leave early :rockwoot:

Thanks for the idea :yesway:

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Thank you for leaving. I'm sick of people who carry that willingly disarm to make sheep more comfortable.

I hate these people. I OCed at a family birthday party. My uncle's mother's 80th. My aunt from Kalifornya asked, "Are you afraid of a bunch of old ladies?"

I think of a comment like this, "Why are you carrying a firearm? You're just going to a premier of The Dark Knight. What's going to happen? What are you afraid of?"

Bad things happen everywhere. No place is safe from evil. People need to learn and accept that. I OC everywhere. If asked to disarm, I argue my point, then, if no budge, I leave.

Rep inbound.

thank you sir, as I have said before I always try to OC. The only time that I have CC'ed was on two occasions. the first being when my mother-in-law was in the hospital recovering from surgery. The second was at the Welborne clinic for our son's hearing test.

I can also say that I and by extension my family have been asked to disarm or leave twice in the 8 months that I have been carrying. The first place being Pizza Hut just a few day's before this ordeal happened.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    thank you sir, as I have said before I always try to OC. The only time that I have CC'ed was on two occasions. the first being when my mother-in-law was in the hospital recovering from surgery. The second was at the Welborne clinic for our son's hearing test.

I can also say that I and by extension my family have been asked to disarm or leave twice in the 8 months that I have been carrying. The first place being Pizza Hut just a few day's before this ordeal happened.

Yeah, I saw that thread. I have refused service to them since they fired that employee for defending himself.

Papa John's did not fire a driver for doing the same thing. I eat there.

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    On that day the wife wanted to go to Pap John's first, but the one near there doesn't have a dinning area so. We did end up going down the road to Taco Bell/KFC and spent about $40 there instead.

I will also say that my wife's mother and brother have worked for Papa John's in the past so

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    FTFY. The method of carry was irrelevant. If he had been discovered CCing, the result would have been the same.

Sure it is, the key word is bolded. IF he was discovered, if you cc the goal is to do just that, conceal your gun.

I am not bashing OC, but I just find it amusing when people come on here and complain about encounters when they were OCing. Like I said, that goes with the territory. If you want to OC, be prepared to deal with any BS that may come along.

To my recollection I have never read a thread on here about someone getting kicked out of a restaurant when CC. Magically its almost exclusively OC.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I have a friend that's Jewish. He wears a yalmaka. He gets harassed by intolerant people. It is his personal decision to show his beliefs. Is it bad if he feels wronged by intolerant bigots?

I believe in the Second Amendment. I open carry. I get harassed by intolerant people. It is my personal decision to show my beliefs. Is it bad if I feel wronged by intolerant bigots?

His decision is protected under the First Amendment. Mine, under the Second.

Is there a difference?

Should he be ashamed of his faith? Should he "conceal" his religious beliefs?

Should I be ashamed of my choice to carry a firearm? Should I conceal it?

No matter what, anything you do is going to offend someone, or make someone uncomfortable. I am not going to change my beliefs to accommodate someone else, and I sure as hell will NOT conceal my right as an American to keep and bear arms.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I have a friend that's Jewish. He wears a yalmaka. He gets harassed by intolerant people. It is his personal decision to show his beliefs. Is it bad if he feels wronged by intolerant bigots?

I believe in the Second Amendment. I open carry. I get harassed by intolerant people. It is my personal decision to show my beliefs. Is it bad if I feel wronged by intolerant bigots?

His decision is protected under the First Amendment. Mine, under the Second.

Is there a difference?

Should he be ashamed of his faith? Should he "conceal" his religious beliefs?

Should I be ashamed of my choice to carry a firearm? Should I conceal it?

No matter what, anything you do is going to offend someone, or make someone uncomfortable. I am not going to change my beliefs to accommodate someone else, and I sure as hell will NOT conceal my right as an American to keep and bear arms.

Why should you be ashamed of your masculinity and conceal it. Hang-out with your wang-out.

Taken to the extreme anything sounds foolish.

You seem to equate concealing with being ashamed. Aye-Aye-Aye

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I do. That's how I see it. I cannot think of any reason to conceal. It's where the religious example comes in. Maybe it's more "tactical" to pretend to be a Christian, when in reality, you're a Muslim. Then, you have the "element of surprise."

I saw an older man at Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka. He thought I worked there. I told him I did not. He asked why everyone wanted to open carry. He said that that was the last thing he wanted anyone to know.

It's the first thing I want anyone to know.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Not that it matters but you werent thrown out, you were given an option and you choose the one where you left.

Sucks it happened but it is what it is. The things you have to deal with if you choose to OC.

Thats pretty much it.

I don't understand the debate..

This was not an example of someone OC'n in a public domain, it was "technically" private property, they asked you to put your sidearm away, you refused.
    You took your gun and went home.

You probably won't be invited to any more of your wife's families events.

You made your stand and exercized your rights...so did they.

The point some of us are trying to make is that if you had CCed your wife and you would have stayed....but again, your choice.

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Thats pretty much it.

I don't understand the debate..

This was not an example of someone OC'n in a public domain, it was "technically" private property, they asked you to put your sidearm away, you refused.
    You took your gun and went home.

You probably won't be invited to any more of your wife's families events.

You made your stand and exercized your rights...so did they.

The point some of us are trying to make is that if you had CCed your wife and you would have stayed....but again, your choice.

I don't have a problem being asked to leave because I choose to OC. What I have a problem with is people wither they be family or strangers thinking that they can run rough shod over my rights. The same rights that I served my country for as a member of the armed forces to defend and protect.

I have said this before and I will say it again I don't have a problem with CC or the people that chose to carry that way. Just that for me I chose to carry openly as I have nothing to hide or to be ashamed of I'M an American and dam proud of it it's my right to carry and to carry openly. Yes you have the 1st amendment right to call into question my choices and my beliefs. How ever that same amendment does not give you the right to be offended by my choices and or beliefs. I have nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm tired of people on this site calling into question the beliefs and choices of carry that other members such as myself that openly carry our firearms, by saying "well if you had just CC'd then you wouldn't have this or that problem."
    To me those of us who openly carry have more courage and conviction about our beliefs in the 2nd amendment then those of you who cc all the time.
    I realize my opinion well tick alot of people of but of well, that's how I feel about the issue.

To the moderator if you chose to censor this post I will understand but I have said my piece and I will not apologize for it.

Last edited:

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    To me those of us who openly carry have more courage and conviction about our beliefs in the 2nd amendment then those of you who cc all the time.

For one thing that is not true!

You choose to carry your sidearm openly, I have in the past and will in the future!

I have a little better understanding of respect and tact.

The ONLY reason I choose to carry a sidearm is for the protection of myself,my wife and my 5! children.

You seem to have a zealous veiw of open carry, fine, I support you!..but do NOT insinuate that you are fighting harder for the 2nd amendment than others.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I don't have a problem being asked to leave because I choose to OC. What I have a problem with is people wither they be family or strangers thinking that they can run rough shod over my rights....
    Property rights > 2A rights. For some reason the OC guys can't seem to get this and continually come here to complain. This is a choice you make, you can get kicked out of places, man up and accept the consequences to your actions and stop whining about it.

So many threads here about people getting booted. It happens, move on.

The rest of your post is a bunch of OC elitism, LOL.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Anyone who conceals merely so they are not bothered by people who dislike it are succumbing to a Heckler's Veto.

Concealing where you may not be welcomed to carry might be prudent, but openly carrying where not forbidden by law should not be looked down on. If someone has an issue while OCing and wants to discuss it there will always be those that feel they must volunteer their wisdom of CCing instead of OCing to avoid the harassment. They are now becoming the Heckler's Veto all on their own.

Don't worry about them, don't even respond. What they wish to argue about has no real bearing on the issue at hand.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The method of carry is VERY relevent. A different method of carry would have prevented all of this. I've been CC for 5 years, never been discovered. Never been an issue anywhere I've gone.

If the OP could go back in time and CC at the party NOBODY would've known he was strapped and this thread wouldn't have been made.

Never discovered that you know of. You may have been discovered several times by people that minded their own business, and knew it was legal.
    I've CC'd over 20 years, started occasional OC in the last year.
    And I'm sure you have been discovered in 5 years.

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    For one thing that is not true!

You choose to carry your sidearm openly, I have in the past and will in the future!

I have a little better understanding of respect and tact.

The ONLY reason I choose to carry a sidearm is for the protection of myself,my wife and my 5! children.

You seem to have a zealous veiw of open carry, fine, I support you!..but do NOT insinuate that you are fighting harder for the 2nd amendment than others.

you seem to be forgetting that what I said was my opinion and only that, MY OPINION

I also have a very good grasp on respect and tact, however when a person or group of person refuse to admit that their opinion's and beliefs are not the only one's out there. Then respect and tact can and does only go so far.

I myself carry for the same reason that you apparently do as well, the protection and defense of my wife, kids and myself. for that I applaud you sir and the other on this forum that carry for whatever reason that they carry.

zealous view of open carry... perhaps I should thank you but I would rather say that, to me it's not a zealous view of open carry but rather being that I am taking a stand about something that I firmly believe in and am proud to show that belief.

now If there are some out there that take my stance as insinuating that they them selves don't respect and support our 2nd amendment rights then that is on them and not me. I will proud stand by anyone that supports our rights.

Property rights > 2A rights. For some reason the OC guys can't seem to get this and continually come here to complain. This is a choice you make, you can get kicked out of places, man up and accept the consequences to your actions and stop whining about it.

So many threads here about people getting booted. It happens, move on.

The rest of your post is a bunch of OC elitism, LOL.

I fully understand the rights of property owners, seeing that I am a property owner myself. That why I choose not to disarm when asked to do so and leave.

Maybe you see this thread as complaining on my part as an OC'er, but I see it as helping those who open carry or are thinking about openly carrying. things and opinion's that they very well might run into.

as far as OC elitism , well the same thing can be said for the multitude CC post in this thread and others. Neither form of carry is truly better then the other and that is the truth wither you like it or not. The only true difference is the state of mind of the person carrying.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    The only true difference is the state of mind of the person carrying.

And there is the difference.... while you and your wife were leaving a family event of hers...Those of us who would choose to CC at a private FAMILY event would have stayed...AGAIN!!! ...your choice.

Again!! Deal with the consequences.

So you think you took a stand.....fine.

You probably won't have to take the same stand with those people again, that is your choice.

you probably won ZERO! converts to the 2nd amendment, again...no tact!

Top Bottom