• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • broncrider3445

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    I was looking to buy some throwing knives, does anyone have any recomendations on what style or brand to choose. I have looked and found hundreds of different styles and brands, and just dont know where to start.

broncrider3445

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    well thats why i posted it in the cutting edge part of the site, since it is dedicated to knives and edged wepons. I just think it wold be good to add another skill to my defense tactics.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    well thats why i posted it in the cutting edge part of the site, since it is dedicated to knives and edged wepons. I just think it wold be good to add another skill to my defense tactics.

If all you have for defense is a knife or 'hawk, you sure don't want to throw it away. Hack them to death with it. If I'm inside of ten feet with my hand on my knife or axe I'll kill you before you even start to reach for your gun.

Try it. Stand facing a milk of water jug ten feet in front of you. Hands at your side, not on your gun or any ready position. Now have your partner stand ten feet behind you. He yells and runs at you. I bet you there's not 5 people out of the thousand posters on here that can bust that milk jug before he taps them on the back.

I've done it. Done it with dozens of people. I've seen one get a shot off. Didn't say he hit anything. But I'll take that bet every time.:draw:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Throwing knifes, aren't for defense. They're for offense. More specificlly, for stealthly offense. Just as a Bow and Arrow is.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Good luck with that one. Most of them put there throwing knives away and use a silenced .22 pistol now. .22 shorts though a can, just enough power to penetrate the skull and rattle around inside of it.

Thrown knives generally do not kill immediately or quietly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    .22 shorts though a can, just enough power to penetrate the skull and rattle around inside of it.

I doubt that too. If you were close enough for a 22 short to do that you could just hit them in the head with a hammer and be sure it would work. Unless you want to count that Aquila SSS as a short. It's a 60 grain 22 in a short case that makes it fit a 22LR chamber. They are listed on the box as 22LR I believe. They will do some damage and give good penetration but they are not for long range sniping or silencing.

I wouldn't bet a whole special ops mission on their instant silencing of a guard from 50 yards.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    In the movies.

I never said US Special Forces. And I never said the movies. A skilled marksman with a throwing knife, star, dagger, whatever, CAN silence the enemy from over 30yrds quite effectively. Go look it up. If after looking you can't find three Countries that employ throwing knife training, I'll give you some hints. ;)

FWIW, yes, US Special Forces employed throwing knives for a while. I was under the impression that some units still did. I could be wrong about STILL DO, but I know they used to.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I never said US Special Forces. And I never said the movies. A skilled marksman with a throwing knife, star, dagger, whatever, CAN silence the enemy from over 30yrds quite effectively. Go look it up. If after looking you can't find three Countries that employ throwing knife training, I'll give you some hints. ;)

FWIW, yes, US Special Forces employed throwing knives for a while. I was under the impression that some units still did. I could be wrong about STILL DO, but I know they used to.

Sure they do. You betcha.

I saw one of them Baldwin boys do it on a SEAL mission once.

:laugh:

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    My Experience, Throwing Knives is More Relaxing Than Golf (for me atleast)

May I recommend the Cold Steel machetes, you can find them fairly cheap on ebay, they are rugged, and I slowly progressed from using smaller 9 inch knives to the 13 inch sized throwers to the machete/axe sized. I own the shorter Gurki model machete, and have been able to get alot of power, distance, stability out of it. The Bad Axe is pretty Bad Ass as well.

I learned to throw out of trial and error.

I had found that the bigger/heavier the blade, the less frustrated I would get, the longer the rotations (meaning it was more forgiving as to which distances to throw at), and had a very satisfying :Whoosing Sound:---Thump!

It was hard to start throwing cold, I always had to throw for 5 minutes to really get the feel for it, and be consistant.
    When you have smaller knives with a fast rotation, you really have to watch at what distance your at to get it to stick right.

The machete has been my favorite thrower, It was easy to control how much power/penetration into the board I was doing.

The Bad Axe I feel is the coolest, but is the reason for rather fast destruction of my throwing board. One strong throw from the Bad Axe easily split the boards, and resulted in large holes quickly.

You can watch the videos on their site.

Machetes : Latin, Bowie, Kukri, Panga, Heavy Cold Steel Machetes

Bad Axe : Throwing Axe (Cold Steel Knives)

This is my photo album, I previously had several hundred pictures of the different knives I had stuck into my board before it got chewed up, however my computer was erased.

PictureTrail Gallery

Happy Throwing

348372300.jpg

348372340.jpg

Top Bottom