• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeanSports

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Columbus
    What is the thread size on the stripped upper where you actually put the barrel nut on?

REVISION - What is the thread size of the barrel nut. Not the stripped upper.

After searching I found 1.25" x 18. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I answered for stripped lower any how due to how you worded the original question. Why are you asking?

Your castle nut thread pitch will be the same because it threads on the buffer tube, and the buffer tube is threaded for the upper. I mis-read your question so that's why I answered it as I did, but the answer would still be the same 1-3/16-16

EDIT: I am an idiot, I got so jacked up on what you originally asked I keep answering your question about a lower reading castle nut not a barrel nut! I'll come back when my mind is right! Sorry :bash:

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    1.25" x 18

What you are finding is correct! Sorry I couldn't seem to read your question and get my little brain to understand correctly! If you need anything for that in a tap or die you can get it on Brownells just like for the other junk I said earlier... If you are just looking to buy that's the thread pitch you want!

DeanSports

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Columbus
    Awesome! Thanks a lot Bfish. Not a problem. I should have worded it correctly to begin with.

To answer what I am using the info for. I sold a hand guard to a guy and he told me the barrel nut stripped. Sent me photos and he just cross threaded it so I just got curious.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Awesome! Thanks a lot Bfish. Not a problem. I should have worded it correctly to begin with.

To answer what I am using the info for. I sold a hand guard to a guy and he told me the barrel nut stripped. Sent me photos and he just cross threaded it so I just got curious.

If you have to force it you are doing it wrong.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

No problem... Once I realized what you were asking it wasn't a problem, I also had a reading problem so it was compounded.

I am also wondering how he cross threaded it! Like CB am wondering how he did it. Like CM says... No forcing! He'll have to get a new one I'd guess, and it'd probably be cheaper than getting a tap and die set any how.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    How the hell do you cross-thread THAT?

I ketchup pack of anti-seize from the auto parts store goes a long way to protected those threads from galling. Had to help a guy install a bbl once and he had to take it off-on a few times and shim it to get everything to index properly.

Top Bottom