Thread AK to take AR10 muzzle attachments?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    what size is an ar10 threaded?? if the answers is 1/2x28, then yes its possible. Its 'common' for an AK during the AWB to have the original threads removed due to the AWB requirements. Many people will then thread the muzzle to 1/2x28 because the original 14mm threads are to big.

so, it can be done that size as long as thats what your after.

Jtgarner

Master
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Well the reason I asked about AR10 threads is because i know the AR10 is a 30cal like the ak.
    all the ones I see are 5/8"-24.

So I could thread it to 1/2x28 (common AR15 threads) but do ar15 muzzle breaks have a big enough holes for a 30 cal bullet to pass through?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, thats no problem. There are adapters, and QDs out there that will do what you want.

Jtgarner

Master
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I mean on the business end. The AR15 is a .22 cal bullet and the AK is a .30 cal bullet.

If I put something like this on, would the hole be big enough to allow the ak round to pass through it?
    654624.jpg

Or do you mean that there are adapters that will convert the 1/2x28 to 5/8x24?

EDIT: Found a thread adapter, http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=51

New question! Where would I get my barrel re-threaded and about how much does that run?

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ah, I was thinking of something for a suppressor.

either way, you can make something like that work, you might have to open up the hole on the business end ;)

any good gunsmith should be able to take care of it for you, but I guess my question is why? Unless your wanting to put a suppressor on it, or some fancy muzzle brake maybe?

Jtgarner

Master
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am thinking a suppressor possibly some day. My main objective is to have something that is completely unique, while also being practical and short.
    If I got the barrel re threaded I could use the adapter i linked to above and use any AR10 muzzle device, either for a break like pictured above or for a suppressor

Top Bottom