• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2021
    Indiana
    Currently loving my Walther P99 but I’ve recently become fascinated by the 10mm round and its versatility. The G29 seems to be a very potent and attractive little carry piece and being on-roster, probably wouldn’t hurt my wallet too bad. Honestly if there were no roster, I’d just go get a P99c in .40 to complement my P99. However, considering what a tall order that is in our state, I feel like the G29 would satisfy the same itch but at a far lower cost and with a much better aftermarket. The fact that it can shoot both 10 and .40 makes it an asset during this ammo crisis. More calibers you can shoot = higher chance of finding ammo. What do you guys think? Am I crazy for wanting to carry something like this?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I carried a G29 for a few years sometime back and liked it fine.
    The 10mm round is one of my favorites.
    Underwood has some good loads.
    I still have it and carry it sometimes among others.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What is this roster you are referring too? I know California and Massachusetts have a list of what you can and can't buy but Indiana has no such thing.

And as to your question, carry what you can shoot the best and quickest. Being able to put 5 or 6 rounds of 9mm in a target is better than putting 1 or 2 10mm in the same time frame. The 29 has some serious recoil with the proper ammo. With the weaker loads, what's the point.

I can see a 29 as a woods gun where the power is definitely needed. But for most of the 2 legged types you'd need to defend yourself from, a 9mm will do the job with the right ammo. I'd stick with the .40 you have.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought one to take hunting with me out west using a grip filler and 15 round mag. I like it a lot, 40 shoots like bunny farts out of it. 10mm is a big round and the g29 is a smaller gun but full power buffalo bore rounds are manageable even with the 10 round mag.

it’s become my go to gun because for the size, roughly that of a g19, I know I have a round that is a true one shot stopper with a full power load. There is no “ do I have the best hollow point” debate with a 10 because any of them will drop a deer dead in their tracks. Good enough to hunt with means good enough to carry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2021
    Indiana
    Carry what you shoot best. I had a G29 but did not shoot it the best so it left the collection. I don’t miss that one despite having liked it when I had it.
    I should start off by saying that I didn’t intend to exclusively carry a G29. I just thought it’d be interesting to have as another option especially since I plan travel to some heavily wooded states in the upcoming year. I still would rather carry my P99 since I know 9mm will be much easier to consistently shoot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2021
    Indiana
    I bought one to take hunting with me out west using a grip filler and 15 round mag. I like it a lot, 40 shoots like bunny farts out of it. 10mm is a big round and the g29 is a smaller gun but full power buffalo bore rounds are manageable even with the 10 round mag.

it’s become my go to gun because for the size, roughly that of a g19, I know I have a round that is a true one shot stopper with a full power load. There is no “ do I have the best hollow point” debate with a 10 because any of them will drop a deer dead in their tracks. Good enough to hunt with means good enough to carry.

I should start off by saying that I didn’t intend to exclusively carry a G29. I just thought it’d be interesting to have as another option especially since I plan travel to some heavily wooded states in the upcoming year. I still would rather carry my P99 since I know 9mm will be much easier to consistently shoot.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I have one that I carry on occasion. I think the grip extensions are a must, to me the recoil is night and day with the grip extensions. It is fatter than a G19 but prints about the same.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have one for hunting in bear country. It’s pretty finicky on ammo, which surprised me in a glock. I found some hot stuff it will feed 100%, but it won’t get carried much as a result. Carried it hog hunting for a few years, and it performed well on pigs.

It’s not a bad size for the round, albeit a little snappy. Accurate enough to hit the little guys too!

959819B5-51A6-4E36-984C-8003DFB83CDC.jpeg

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Currently loving my Walther P99 but I’ve recently become fascinated by the 10mm round and its versatility. The G29 seems to be a very potent and attractive little carry piece and being on-roster, probably wouldn’t hurt my wallet too bad. Honestly if there were no roster, I’d just go get a P99c in .40 to complement my P99. However, considering what a tall order that is in our state, I feel like the G29 would satisfy the same itch but at a far lower cost and with a much better aftermarket. The fact that it can shoot both 10 and .40 makes it an asset during this ammo crisis. More calibers you can shoot = higher chance of finding ammo. What do you guys think? Am I crazy for wanting to carry something like this?
    Don't forget .357 Sig with a barrel swap.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had a 29 years ago and shot it pretty well. The full power loads were a beast in it but manageable. I recently got back into Glocks for the 10mm chambered models, 20SF, 40 MOS and just recently a new 29. I haven’t shot it yet but I’m sure it’ll be fine. Just picked up a couple pinky extensions for the 10 round mags that I’ll put on before I shoot it. Once I’m confident it works as it should it might enter my carry rotation.

Top Bottom