• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    There was a thread not long ago about whether to store summer or winter gas, today I proved to myself Summer is better...

This mower ran excellent all summer on summer gas, today I ran out (but still running), so I went and bought some fresh gas, after a few passes around the yard I stopped to change bags, and was greeted with this at start-up...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU1rXIycZ_w"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU1rXIycZ_w[/ame]

... a carb adjustment fixed it, but the adjustment was to richer, which shows that summer and winter blends do not burn the same, and in my case, I will use more ga$ using winter blend vs. summer blend.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    What

"

Cars using summer-blend gasoline spew fewer harmful emissions and get slightly better fuel economy than those using winter-blend gas during the summer months.
    The difference between conventional summer- and winter-blend gasoline has to do with the Reid Vapor Pressure of the fuel. RVP relates to the volatility of a gasoline. The more volatile a gasoline, the more likely it will evaporate as the temperatures rises; evaporated gasoline contributes to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. Summer gasoline has a low RVP and is less likely to evaporate when compared to the high RVP winter grade. The Environmental Protection Agency says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which contributes to the summer blend’s slightly better gas mileage.
    The Energy Information Administration says the switch between the two fuels happens twice a year, once in the fall (winter blend) and again in the spring (summer blend). Summer-blend gasoline is typically more expensive to produce than the winter blend, and it won’t affect vehicle performance or the durability of the engine and fuel system, according to the EPA. "

cookac88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    This is very interesting, i never even knew they had "summer" and "winter gas", Definitely learn a lot on here and not just about guns. Thanks guys

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Whether you like it better in your lawnmower or not is irrelevant to which STORES better.

Winter gas stores better. Try using summer gas in a small appliance when it is 10 below outside and you'll see the difference, especially when the summer gas hasn't been stored properly and has lost even more of its volatiles thus further lowering its vapor pressure.

Properly stored gasoline has a very long shelf-life. I just cracked open a drum of gasoline last month that was 2.5 years old and it's running just fine in everything I am using it in. No stabilizers or anything like that, just a sealed metal drum.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My neighbor has a small engine repair business he does as a side line. He says use Sta Bil in the gas all the time. I have been doing that.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What

"

Cars using summer-blend gasoline spew fewer harmful emissions and get slightly better fuel economy than those using winter-blend gas during the summer months.
    The difference between conventional summer- and winter-blend gasoline has to do with the Reid Vapor Pressure of the fuel. RVP relates to the volatility of a gasoline. The more volatile a gasoline, the more likely it will evaporate as the temperatures rises; evaporated gasoline contributes to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. Summer gasoline has a low RVP and is less likely to evaporate when compared to the high RVP winter grade. The Environmental Protection Agency says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which contributes to the summer blend’s slightly better gas mileage.
    The Energy Information Administration says the switch between the two fuels happens twice a year, once in the fall (winter blend) and again in the spring (summer blend). Summer-blend gasoline is typically more expensive to produce than the winter blend, and it won’t affect vehicle performance or the durability of the engine and fuel system, according to the EPA. "

Holy crap. Somebody actually knows what the hell they are talking about. I drive a fuel tanker have to deal with the RVP switches every spring.

As for the gas for your mower, use a high volume station to buy your gas. And use a Branded station (Marathon, BP, Citgo, Phillips, Mobil etc) They have more additives (lubrictity agents, cleaners and stabilizers) than unbranded -Swifty, Save, Family Express, Speedway etc. Low volume stations have more problems with water and contaminants in their tanks.

Hope this helps.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    Don't forget the Ethanol part of the fuel,this site will tell you all about it www.fuel-testers.com most of the additives they put in to get the fuel to do what the E.P.A wants lowers the b.t.u of the fuel you get less m.p.g Here is a tip for all, Marathon has a fuel that is called REC.90 that is ethanol free it's higher in price but my small engins love it and it will last a lot longer in gas cans and tanks.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    My wife will attest that winter gas or summer gas, it's all rank and she's sending me to the man-cave. (Which is where I wanted to be in the first place.) Just sayin...

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    There was a thread not long ago about whether to store summer or winter gas, today I proved to myself Summer is better...

This mower ran excellent all summer on summer gas, today I ran out (but still running), so I went and bought some fresh gas, after a few passes around the yard I stopped to change bags, and was greeted with this at start-up...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU1rXIycZ_w

... a carb adjustment fixed it, but the adjustment was to richer, which shows that summer and winter blends do not burn the same, and in my case, I will use more ga$ using winter blend vs. summer blend.

So thats what a Briggs-Harley sounds like.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I always buy the highest octane for my small engines as well. You figure a small engine is exposed to more crap as it is (mulched gas, leaves, dirt, wood chips) grime is just a bigger factor for the small engine. Since the fuel isnt bought @ 50-75gal a month it is cost effective and better for your small engines.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    My wife will attest that winter gas or summer gas, it's all rank and she's sending me to the man-cave. (Which is where I wanted to be in the first place.) Just sayin...

smiley-fart006.gif

fart.gif

:laugh:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Holy crap. Somebody actually knows what the hell they are talking about. I drive a fuel tanker have to deal with the RVP switches every spring.

As for the gas for your mower, use a high volume station to buy your gas. And use a Branded station (Marathon, BP, Citgo, Phillips, Mobil etc) They have more additives (lubrictity agents, cleaners and stabilizers) than unbranded -Swifty, Save, Family Express, Speedway etc. Low volume stations have more problems with water and contaminants in their tanks.

Hope this helps.
    Speedway = marathon gas...

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I always buy the highest octane for my small engines as well. You figure a small engine is exposed to more crap as it is (mulched gas, leaves, dirt, wood chips) grime is just a bigger factor for the small engine. Since the fuel isnt bought @ 50-75gal a month it is cost effective and better for your small engines.
    BTW the co-op here in GF has 91 octane ethanol free on pump if you care.

Top Bottom