• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    Hello, I'm pretty new to the idea of reloading. Ive heard buddies talk about it. it seems pretty logical, but is it really that much cheaper to reload rather than just go buy rnds? and how many times can you reload brass? ive really got a lot of questions, but dont want to burn up y'alls time. if someone wants to give me the rundown and a list of things ill need to get started that would be great. thanks a lot.
    Justin

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I started out with a "kit". It contained almost everything you need to start. The savings is a part of it but I end up shooting more. For me I started reloading 44 mag and 300wsm. The cost on both is a little high. There was a higher satisfaction for me when I took my first deer with something I reloaded. You can reload brass several times. It depends on what you are reloading. The lighter the load the more you can reuse it as a general rule. You just have to do an inspection of the case. The best thing to do is buy a reloading manual first, read it cover to cover. This will answer most of your questions. Let me know how it works out and if you have any more question, I'll be glad to help.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Whatever equipment you go with, a MUST have is a QUALITY powder scale. A blown up gun or a trip to the emergency room quickly eliminates any joy or savings gained by reloading. There are lots of reloaders here so do not be afraid to ask specific questions. Good Luck

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There's LOTS of good info in the sticky, but depending on what you shoot and how you buy and use your components.

I just posted this on arfcom in answer to the ever present question of "how much can I save by reloading?":

I just ordered 1000 new starline 10mm brass. 1000 180gr ranier plated bullets. Total with shipping was $285.

Last time I bought primers it was, with shipping and all, about $35/k. Powder was about $22/lb. Both of those costs were in bulk with shipping. I'll get about 1100 rounds out of that pound of powder so say $20 for powder.

So $340/k of 10mm. I can load about 100 rounds/hour, so 10 hours.

1000 rounds of a similar 10mm ammo (not a premium defense round) runs about $600 with shipping.

Oh, lest we forget, I typically get about 25-30 loadings from 10mm brass before I pitch it. So my actual cost for those 1000 rounds of my loads is about $180.

Lets see, $420 in savings for 10 hours of work. That's $42/hour.

It gets better too, I have a bullet trap so I reclaim my lead and cast other bullets out of it. I'll reclaim about $20 worth of lead, and if I cast more 10mm bullets out of it, that 1000 rounds will work out to be about 700 rounds of new bullets and another 2-3 hours of my time. So I can save another $80 or so in the cost of new bullets. My time isn't quite as well paid for that, but hey, it's a hobby not a job.

So, in the long run I'll save about $500 for that 1000 rounds I shoot. Not a bad ROI.

Now, it could be argued that the once fired 10mm brass could be sold and the reclaimed lead could be sold, so that would bring maybe $50 or so.

Now, you start talking about 9mm, the cheapest bulk ammunition there is out there and the savings goes way down, but there still is a savings, your per hour wage is just much less (like $4-5/hr).

I, as someone who buys stuff in bulk, and reloads EVERYTHING I shoot (except rimfire obviously), save anywhere from about 25-75%.

25% may not sound like much, but when that 25% equals a dollar a round saved, it's quite a lot.

As far as brass life, this thread has an example of brass life and includes links to some of my other testing:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing/140337-new_brass_life_test_annealing.html

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    If your not doing it already, save your brass and buy ammo that is brass cased and boxer primed.

Now, while your on the fence about either tooling up to reload you can generate your components. If you decide that reloading isn't for you, I would highly recommend contacting one of the people on this sight who reload for a living and have them reload your brass for you. If I recall right Profile Arms will knock $70 off of a 1000 rounds of .223 if you supply your own brass.

While your comparing the price of new ammo verses reloading for yourself, you might as well look at paying someone to reload for you as well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom