• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Don't have much in this caliber, 1 rifle & a few handguns.

I never shoot this caliber, I am thinking that there is not a use that .22lr & .223 can't cover.

What say ye INGO?
    It still has a place. There are small varmint situations where I wouldnt have wanted to use either of your suggested calibers due to underpowered or too much energy and concern for what is downrange.

But hey, you do you. If you dont foresee needing it, dump it. (just make me a good deal on your ammo)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I did this a few years ago. While I agree there is an area where a bit more than 22LR is needed but the .223/5.56 is too much, but I did not have that need. I had a couple really nice handguns and long guns in .22 WMR which were easier to sell as I could include a good amount of ammo.

I did the same thing with 9x18 Mak and occasionally regret it. No regrets about the .22 WMR.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    IIRC I have only had two 22 WRM's. I tried to justify a S&W 351 pd J frame, for pocket carry, but the muzzle blast certainly didn't impress my chrony, and all I could say was I could have had a 38. Down the road it went. The other 22 WMR was a Marlin bolt action rifle. Nice accurate gun but once I shot my CZ 22 hornet, which is perfect for that in between 22lr/.223 role with low report, down the road the Marlin went.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Before I was old enough to buy my own guns I trappped fox coons and muskrat. Was walking the trap line and I saw a fox. Then I saw my trap on his leg. I fired the 22 LR SINGLE SHOT 5 times hitting the poor fox 3 times. Still had to finish him off with a stick. Knew then the 22 was not the round for fox. 2 of those shot were well placed. Fox not much bigger than a cat when the fur is off.

At 18 my very first purchase was a 22 mag Winchester 9244M xlr at bradis when it sold lawn equipment and the gun store was what was the revolver case last time i was in their establishment.

22 mag perfect for fox, raccoon, large squirrel (overkill) and groundhog.
    the 9422M is a perfect lever action. In some circles the 22 mag and a powerful flashlight is the choice for “night deer harvesting“.

do not underestimate that round or do so. people Have been saying it is obsolete round. Yet it still outsells the 17 hmr which other seem to think is better,

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Before I was old enough to buy my own guns I trappped fox coons and muskrat. Was walking the trap line and I saw a fox. Then I saw my trap on his leg. I fired the 22 LR SINGLE SHOT 5 times hitting the poor fox 3 times. Still had to finish him off with a stick. Knew then the 22 was not the round for fox. 2 of those shot were well placed. Fox not much bigger than a cat when the fur is off.

At 18 my very first purchase was a 22 mag Winchester 9244M xlr at bradis when it sold lawn equipment and the gun store was what was the revolver case last time i was in their establishment.

22 mag perfect for fox, raccoon, large squirrel (overkill) and groundhog.
    the 9422M is a perfect lever action. In some circles the 22 mag and a powerful flashlight is the choice for “night deer harvesting“.

do not underestimate that round or do so. people Have been saying it is obsolete round. Yet it still outsells the 17 hmr which other seem to think is better,
    WMR is good for people who need to deal with varmints coon-size or larger, who do not want them running away, and do not want to use a center fire rifle for it. It is considerably less boom than a .223. And in a rifle-length barrel, it will break both shoulders of a coyote-sized animal within 50 yards and leave an exit wound. Another way of looking at it, the .22WMR in a rifle length barrel delivers .22LR _muzzle_ ballistics at 100 yards. If you wish your .22LR had the same power left at 100 yards as it did at the muzzle, .22WMR is for you. It simply extends your .22LR ballistics 100 yards down range.

It's not its best in a short pistol barrel, but in a 6" pistol barrel, it puts the power of a .22LR rifle in a pistol length barrel.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I agree with the OP. Not much I need to do that isn't covered by .22LR or .223. I also handload, and own a bolt-action .223, so if I did have a need to download to .22 WMR levels I could.

Brain shots with a .22LR will take care of even larger varmints in my experience.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. I'll never forget the coon I nailed at 30 yards. Hit him in the shoulder at a quartering angle. He was DRT. Dropped and barely twitched.
    I got there and there was an entrance hole behind the right shoulder, exit hole in front of the left hip... and 6" of intestines hanging out the exit wound. :faint:

And for a defensive round, its nothing to sneeze at. It actually has very similar muzzle energy to a 380. IMHO its still not recommended due to the relative unreliability of a rimfire. But if I had nothing else, I wouldnt turn one down as a defensive weapon if somebody handed it to me.

A great round with a specific place. But not everybody needs that place.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Don't have much in this caliber, 1 rifle & a few handguns.

I never shoot this caliber, I am thinking that there is not a use that .22lr & .223 can't cover.

What say ye INGO?
    I was thinking about getting a 22mag rifle years ago.
    I decided to get the Ruger PCC 9mm instead.
    Reason is it can do what the 22mag can do and do it cheaper and has more power.
    If you hit a opossum, raccoon, etc they don't usually move after that. Even coyotes messing around with the chicken house at night. Its about 70yds away but I'm confident it will make them cease and desist.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It still has a place. There are small varmint situations where I wouldnt have wanted to use either of your suggested calibers due to underpowered or too much energy and concern for what is downrange.

But hey, you do you. If you dont foresee needing it, dump it. (just make me a good deal on your ammo)

That's funny, but really is smart.

I have enough .17HMR ammo to last me and my grandkids a couple of lifetimes, by doing deals just like this. Buying up ammo from folks going out of the platform.

:)

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I personally love the 22wmr round. Don't have much to shoot it in, but I really like it. But hey, if you don't need it and don't shoot it, nothing wrong with moving on.

Since you have a rifle and a few handguns in that caliber, could always just keep one and a little bit of ammo just in case...???

Good luck with your decision.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have had some OK .22 lr rifles....sub half inch at 50 yards. Yawn.
    Not competing so kinda useless for me.

Heck, I really like my CZ457 .22 mag, and can't even justify a .22 lr version.
    Simply won't use a .22lr rifle.

My .22 mag won't be shot much, just a couple hunts now and then (mainly bought for fox hunting). Good on chucks (1 for 1 so far).

For me, a .22lr is more useful in pistol. There it offers some training/practice. And I might try bullseye eventually.

Ive shot chucks w rifles for years, .22, .22mag, .22 hornet, .222, .223, .22-250 and .243.
    My varminting needs can be covered by a .22mag and a .243.

The ,22 mag for close range and its just a fun/polite varmint round.
    Rifle lighter, report less, and offers enough thwap in sub 100 yard stuff.

Have an Ingram .22 mag 14" barrel for Contender. It shoots good, but in a handgun that small bore and 14" bbl makes it a chunk LOL Hunted yotes w cuz one day and said no thanks. Just a brick of a gun, plus the 4X EER Leupold ...............I don't like EER scopes. Can shoot em OK, just don't like em. Prefer redddot on handguns for field work.

Back when I hunted chucks often, had a Smith 648 6". That thing shot great, and I used it for Field Pistol in IHMSA. But Pops and I slowed down on the IHMSA thing and I got old n cranky and hated carrying a handgun and a rifle when out shooting chucks. Don't even like two guns when deer hunting anymore.

Like .22 magnum just fine, even if I don't shoot that round much anymore.

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have a Winchester 9422M XTR and I really enjoy shooting it when I can get to the range. I have a Colt SAA in 22 mag as well. Enjoy that also when I can. Basically I enjoy the 22 mag platform. Do not foresee me ever backing out of it. But hey...you do you. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have had a few 9422M. They're handy chuck zappers if ya have young eyes.
    Still got one in back of the safe. Look kinda silly w a scope, esp if a newer style.
    An old Leupold M8 4x might be tolerable ;)
    Have a set of old Redfield gloss .22 rings (steel) that aren't ugly.
    Have Leupold newer too, but they came w the "L" logo on top and that is hideous.
    Really, its kinda tough to find decent looking rings for lots of stuff anymore.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I like the round, buy it up at guns show when the price is right, have 2 colts with mag cylinders, came in real handy when 8 coons went after my chickens, caught them in a live trap and sent them to hell

Top Bottom