• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    A friend of mine was pointing out to me one day at a Mindset Lab class that kydex can be had in different thicknesses as a raw material. What I have yet to see is a kydex holster maker who doesn't use thick kydex with their incentive obviously being durability.

I am thinking of ultra concealment holsters that are made very thin, that hug the weapon very well, and are minimalistic holsters. I'm talking about holsters for things the size of an LCP. Anyone know of a company that makes them? Or do I need to get on amazon, buy some kydex and get busy?

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I have successfully used thin kydex for a crossbreed type holster I made. Instead of buying kydex right away, milk jug plastic can be used and molded. That way you can figure out what will work for you before you spend the money on kydex.

Good luck and have fun!

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    Lots of companies have options on what thickness of kydex they use for their holsters. Most OWB heavy duty holsters are made of a 0.08" thickness that is as thin as possible whole being very rigid and durable. Most companies also offer an option for a 0.06" thickness for their IWB specific holsters. Almost all belt loops made for kydex holsters are made from 0.125" thickness. I know the Bravo Concealment DOS holster is specifically made from 0.06" thick kydex for a minimal profile IWB.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    For an extremely thin kydex holster, I'd recommend FIST holsters. I think they even offer 0.040 material with stitching instead of rivets. However, the thinness does lead to increased risk of cracks and failures...

I stopped using 0.060 for holsters about two years ago. The only thing I do with it now is make prototypes (since I still have a bit of 0.060 to use up).

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I had especially thick Kydex holsters made for Mindset Lab because they take more abuse than most people's carry rigs. We really wrench on them during Firearm Combatives and Retention.

For a personal carry holster, thinner (within reason) is normally better. Plan to replace your holster every year or two.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    For an extremely thin kydex holster, I'd recommend FIST holsters. I think they even offer 0.040 material with stitching instead of rivets.

I use a FIST IWB for a Glock 26. the thin holster and light weight Glock works very well for concealment. I bought it last summer and use it every day. the FIST is holding up very well so far.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Fist makes very thin kydex holsters. Unfortunately, their longevity leaves a lot to be desired. Phlster, who makes our holstrers, uses .080, which seems to be optimal in terms of durability, consistency and concealment. His skeleton is very low profile and quite rugged. On top of that, after you've beat on the holster for a while, he has a refurb service where he cleans up the holster, snugs up the rivets, performs updates to the design and adjusts the retention as needed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SmFBcmCCks&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Terry A

Marksman
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    NWI
    Holster

Check this link out I have bought several holsters from him and they have all been perfect. He just started making some out of real thin Kidex, .060, they are warranteed for life . They are reasonable in price and the wait is worth the quality of the holsters he makes.
    www.pjholster.com

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom