• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Would I be better served buying thermals geared toward hunting or will the one I can get at Kohls do just fine? I don't want to be cold but don't want to spend a ton of money either.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    I started using the polypropylene thermals and they are much better than the cotton ones. Cotton absorbs moisture then stays wet. The poly therms never feel wet and breathe.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Go to a military surplus store and get some polypropelyne(sp):dunno:. I finally let someone talk me into it and I'm glad they did. They are very very warm and I am a cold natured person. Highly recommend them.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    It's been my experience that polyester is the best of the man-made fabrics for thermal underwear. Polypropylene holds odor too well. Gander Mountain sells (or used to sell) DuoFold in a wool polyester blend that worked pretty well. Anymore, I use SmartWool 100% merino wool ones. It's very fine wool that doesn't itch, and feels very soft. It's naturally scent repellent, hydrophillic (wicks water away from you), but stays warm when wet, unlike cotton. It's also naturally fire resistant, so you don't melt your shirtsleeve putting a log on the campfire.

Yes, they're double what the DuoFold blend is, but the advantages outweigh the price.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Would I be better served buying thermals geared toward hunting or will the one I can get at Kohls do just fine? I don't want to be cold but don't want to spend a ton of money either.

Just get polypropolene. So long as you keep your pants on, I doubt what ever you are hunting will know what they are "geared" toward, you'll just pay more for it if it says "hunting" any where on the package.

Get the shirt about two sizes too big, so it will still fit after it's been through the washer and drier. Wear the polypro next to your skin.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    anything polypropolene or wool based is what I"d go with. I like the dual layer ones that are a combo of the two. And I have found some like this that have an antimicrobial scent killer in them for fairly cheap. They are what I wear the most, esp while hunting.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    so where can i find some at around Indy?

I have called army/navy stores, looked at Dicks, Gander and all they had was cotton/poly blend or the super expensive sets.

Walmart has some Rocky brand mid-weight poly compression style if i can find my dang size. Meijer actually has a the kind you guys are talking about but they are Extreme Cold weather and I wonder if they will be too warm, they feel pretty thick.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Most of mine are rated extreme cold weather. But when you're sitting up in a tree stand all day long during late muzzleloader season and its 20 degrees or colder out with a stiff breeze. You'll be happy that you've got the warmest thermals you can get unless you wanna move around a bunch to warm up.

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    The thermals I wear I got from Sportsmansguide here is a link Thermals <---Click. I have worn the pair I currently have for around 2 years now. And I have to say they are some of the best thermal clothing I have ever owned. The fact that they come in various styles doesn't hurt any either.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    "Layers" is your friend. Dress socks and smart wool for the feet, runny tights with cotton camo pants, tight under shirt, shirt, sweat shirt, then over it all a 1 piece zip up over all.
    To each his own I guess.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I've tried polypro and while it is warm, it also melts since it's plastic. It does however do a good job of keeping the moisture/sweat off of your body.

Don't use anything that has cotton in it for cold weather! Cotton is like a sponge and holds water. Great in the summer, sucks in the winter.

I've recently started to look at some wool products and have two varieties now. One is made by Wickers. The set I have has a fire resistant fiber woven in the wool, but they are lightweight material. They feel like a tee-shirt for weight, but do keep your body temperature better regulated and they don't stink or hold any water.

The most recent set is from Smartwool and they are a heavier weight material. Very nice also same as the Wickers brand.

Since the wool has excellent wicking properties, it dries out fast when wet and helps to retain body heat when wet. Your body heat actually helps to dry it out faster because the vapor pressure difference between your body and the outside is very high. The colder it gets, the better this works. Gore-Tex and eVent fabrics are like this also.

Smartwool socks and some of those sock liners work great also.

Here are some links:

Wickers
    Moisture Wicking Performance Thermal Underwear for Anywear Made in the USA

Smartwool
    https://www.smartwool.com/default.c...PrvJ0CFSENDQoddDFsiQ#/Mens/Apparel/Baselayer/

These would be your baselayer. Perhaps a fleece jacket on top of this and then a good windproof/waterproof soft shell over it. The entire layering system needs to breather to move moisture away from the body to retain warmth. The windproof softshell keeps the wind from blowing away the heat you're trying to retain.

This is the basis of the ECWS Gen III clothing system Indecision mentioned. Just a slightly different way to get it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The thermals I wear I got from Sportsmansguide here is a link Thermals <---Click. I have worn the pair I currently have for around 2 years now. And I have to say they are some of the best thermal clothing I have ever owned. The fact that they come in various styles doesn't hurt any either.

Ditto those. I think that's where I got mine to, at least the ones I like best.

My only complaint is they shrink. The shirt I wore yesterday looked like a dang teenage girls belly shirt on me.

Ya know this is the kind of stuff I'm going to throw in the truck and have with me if I go to any of these get together things, all the piles of hunting cloths I can't wear any more. Bring your trade goods to the next one in Bloomington or Bedford would be even better, I open carry to Bedford Golden Corral/feed trough all the time. That's why nothing fits me any more.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I have found that the cotton ones and the cotton/poly blend ones they sell at Dicks work just fine. It all depends on what kind of fit you want. I like a looser fit from the waist down to my mid thigh. From that point down to may ankle, I can stand either loose or tight fit.

Top Bottom