• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • idkfa

personally invading Ukraine (vicariously)
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    You said passthrough, presumably with your router. Are both systems on your router?

Assuming yes, are you using ip address or DNS names to connect?
    Correct, I have my own router.
    Yes, both systems are on this same router and on the same subnet (the ATT modem/router is on the other subnet).
    I'm using IP addresses.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Correct, I have my own router.
    Yes, both systems are on this same router and on the same subnet (the ATT modem/router is on the other subnet).
    I'm using IP addresses.
    Which subnet are you using for your router? Is it different from the ATT gateway? The default is 192.168.1.x
    Did you change anything else on your router to accommodate the switch to ATT?
    What does
    Code:
    curl PC1:9000
    return if run from PC1?
    what about
    Code:
    curl 127.0.0.1:9000
    from PC1?
    If nothing changed on your router other than the WAN side of it, it shouldn't have had any impact on the app. Does this app reach out to the internet?

If your ATT gateway is a NOT a BGW-320 there are a few options that may allow you to remove it all together.

idkfa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    Which subnet are you using for your router? Is it different from the ATT gateway? The default is 192.168.1.x
    It's 192.168.2.x
    Yes, the ATT gateway is 192.168.1.254

Did you change anything else on your router to accommodate the switch to ATT?
    Nope. Even the subnet was more of the router's "idea" (it just suggested using it for some reason).
    It's a trusty Asus RT-N66W.

What does
    Code:
    return if run from PC1?
    Huh, it's
    Code:
    curl: (7) Failed to connect to 192.168.1.254 port 9000: Connection refused

what about
    Code:
    from PC1?
    Huh again...
    Code:
    curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection was reset
    Curiously,
    Code:
    curl localhost:9000
    returns the correct HTML.

If nothing changed on your router other than the WAN side of it, it shouldn't have had any impact on the app.
    Yeah... That seems to be the consensus...

Does this app reach out to the internet?
    Yes, it does.

If your ATT gateway is a NOT a BGW-320 there are a few options that may allow you to remove it all together.
    Yeah, I read about it, but I have that specific bugger, unfortunately.

druckernut

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    South Indianapolis
    Here's a real conundrum for all y'all IT-inclined.
    I have an app running on port 9000 on one Windows 10 machine (let's call its IP PC1).
    I have another Win 10 machine on the same network (PC2).

1) I can ping PC1 from PC2
    2) I can
    Code:
    telnet PC1 9000
    from PC2
    3) I can
    Code:
    nc -v PC1 9000
    from PC2's WSL2 instance
    4) PROBLEM: I cannot PC1:9000 in the browser on PC2
    5)
    Code:
    returns
    Code:
    url: (56) Recv failure: Connection was reset

Cherry on the top: I was able to access the app from any machine on LAN.
    The problem started when I recently moved and connected to ATT fiber, so I had to set up their POS modem/router as a passthrough.

So it's
    - not the firewall,
    - not the antivirus,
    - not the app.

Out of ideas.
    I stopped being a techie long ago when I went into design and project management. Looking back, I should have stayed a techie. :-)

I believe problem(s) has to be in the IP addresses (PCs and modem/router). Unfortunately, I neither have a solution nor time to educate myself to find one. Good news is I found some info. at community.cisco.com and stack.overflow.com (great places to search):

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

I'm also trying to get in contact with a friend who knows this stuff well. Will keep you informed. Also, please let me know how it goes or if I can help in other ways.

Mike

idkfa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    I stopped being a techie long ago when I went into design and project management. Looking back, I should have stayed a techie. :-)

I believe problem(s) has to be in the IP addresses (PCs and modem/router). Unfortunately, I neither have a solution nor time to educate myself to find one. Good news is I found some info. at community.cisco.com and stack.overflow.com (great places to search):

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

I'm also trying to get in contact with a friend who knows this stuff well. Will keep you informed. Also, please let me know how it goes or if I can help in other ways.

Mike
    Thank you, this is much appreciated!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    When I was a kid we used to do some riddle math problem on it TI calculators and the answer was 71077345 which spelled ”SHELLOIL” upside down.
    As I remember it it was something about so many Jews and so many Arabs going to war and who the winner would be. Definitely wouldn't fly in today's some society!:ugh:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's 192.168.2.x
    Yes, the ATT gateway is 192.168.1.254

Nope. Even the subnet was more of the router's "idea" (it just suggested using it for some reason).
    It's a trusty Asus RT-N66W.
    Asus is good stuff, stick with it. Though the BGW 320 is supposed to be pretty good when compared to the usual WiFi 6 routers that people buy. There is an effort underway to gain root access to the 320 and turn it into a true bridge but the only person I know that did it actually pulled the eMMC off the board to gain root. They were going to then see if there was something that could be exploited without hardware modification.
    Huh, it's
    Code:
    curl: (7) Failed to connect to 192.168.1.254 port 9000: Connection refused
    This should be your smoking gun. If your network is 192.168.2.x, it shouldn't be trying to use 192.168.1.254. I'm guessing the app or computer has a hard coded default gateway of 192.168.1.254 and your ASUS network used to be in the 192.168.1.x range.

Two things should fix it. Find the offending IP settings in the app/pc and adjust or change the ATT gateway to some other network range and put the Asus back on 192.168.1.x

druckernut

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    South Indianapolis
    I have no idea what's going on.
    Hi DD,

If you ask me to build something that doesn't come with numbered instructions, my reaction would be the same. We all have our trade skills. :-)

The running joke explained (very briefly, and probably poorly):

Every piece of equipment attached to a local network (e.g., in a house) or public network (e.g., the internet) must have an IP address (Internet Protocol address) so other equipment on the network(s) can communicate with it. It works just like your actual home address with the post office.

The network in your house has a default address of 127.0.0.1. This is called the localhost or "home" address. So, in the joke substitute the word "home" for 127.0.0.1. Additionally, information, data, etc. are sent through ports (a PC has 65,535 virtual (intangible) ports). Ports work just like mailboxes.

Hope this helps a little.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hi DD,

If you ask me to build something that doesn't come with numbered instructions, my reaction would be the same. We all have our trade skills. :-)

The running joke explained (very briefly, and probably poorly):

Every piece of equipment attached to a local network (e.g., in a house) or public network (e.g., the internet) must have an IP address (Internet Protocol address) so other equipment on the network(s) can communicate with it. It works just like your actual home address with the post office.

The network in your house has a default address of 127.0.0.1. This is called the localhost or "home" address. So, in the joke substitute the word "home" for 127.0.0.1. Additionally, information, data, etc. are sent through ports (a PC has 65,535 virtual (intangible) ports). Ports work just like mailboxes.

Hope this helps a little.
    I figured it was an IP address, but had no idea what the significance was. :): I work in IT, but the mainframe environment is more my thing. Thanks for the clarification though! Some of you guys get going and my eyes just glaze over. :):

Top Bottom