• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Ok, it's eventually going to end, mostly. Instead of threadjacking the woodworking thread, here's a thread for a general home project. This current project is an attempt to recreate a dive bar in our basement - the neighborhood dive bar is one of the few things I miss about our old Chicago neighborhood. I wanted to post pics now since I finally got to the stage where I could uncrate my old beer can collection from the 70's/80s. Some gems in there, like these:

66468561552__F92911D2-1D32-4D71-94AC-915C1F6AC212.jpg IMG_4809.jpg

Mostly steel cans, and most of those were opened with a church key from the bottom. And pics of many others:
    66468553822__131178D3-D662-4787-B920-61CB828BE0C0.jpg

66468558387__474E39BF-7007-49F9-A49A-7BC75CF59534.jpg

66468557182__11571C59-B2F5-4D27-91EB-6E2E70867966.jpg

Still some work to be done, like the mirror and shelves in back of the bar, cutting the bar top to fit the niche, coming up with some kind of flooring for the stage (after I make it deep enough to handle an 88 key keyboard, drum kit, and a spot for a guitar or two.) The floor is otherwise done, the walls are done but not fully decorated. The faux distressed tin ceiling tiles are completed (PITA). Also unearthed some classic old posters which will make their way to the wall after framing. Among others:

IMG_4826.jpg IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4828.jpg

Although we did already get a proper glass-front beverage refrigerator, I'm a bit stuck as to how I'm going to fit that into the back of the bar, plus shelves for liquor, glasses, and a toaster oven. I'm really flying by the seat of my pants on this project. Unlike other projects, I didn't have a clear vision of how it was going to look before I started. It's kind of been evolving - organically, as they like to say. I'm quite anxious to get it done already so we can have some official opening day get togethers. I figure we'll be able to seat 10 or so, plus any musicians (e.g., my kids, or anyone else if we ever get a karaoke set-up.) Also, we haven't come up with a name for it yet. My first idea was Quenchers South, in tribute to my first "Cheers" bar, you know, where everybody knew my name. And where I basically put the owner's kids through college. But that was before I got married and had kids. Our last "family bar" was called Hops n Barley's, and although that place holds a lot of fond memories for us, the name just is kinda odd, especially when you add a "south" to it. More project pics to come.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Nice. Please share more pics as you continue in this project. We're in the process of finishing our basement as well (although not as far along.) It's always great to see what others come up with. :)

Top Bottom