• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just had a CCI fail this afternoon. Deep, solid primer strike too. While at the range we test fired a Marlin 795 that was acting up. Darn thing gets dirty after about 300 rounds and won't reliably fire. So not being argumentative but Rimfire is simply not the same as quality center fire ammunition. I will say our 10/22 ran flawlessly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I totally get the "not reliable" part of .22lr, but with several guns: Marlin 60, Walther p22, Ruger LCR, Browning Buckmark, I have never had a single malfunction with Minimags. For bulk ammo, the newer Goldenbullets- that say "new and improved" on the box- I have yet to have one of them fail. Not arguing for the size, but 4k plus rounds over the last year and a half have proven themselves to be solid contenders in my book.

I'd love to have one of the .22LR LCR's to go in my 10/22TD bag. However, I have no misconceptions that the package will come even close to a consideration as a self defense tool. Two guns are certainly better than one though, if that is what you are down to.

A real good test for everyone's "always reliable" .22LR ammo and gun combo's is to shoot every steel match in your area for a summer. Even the best of guns and ammo will choke occasionally, some more than that.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hello gang

Bwframe had a great suggestion about shooting the steel matches
    and observing the .22 failures. My son and I shoot rimfire some and have
    experienced more issues with semi auto .22 pistols. The reason behind more
    issues with the pistol is due to the feed ramp. Weak crimped 22 rounds will hit the feed ramps
    and misalign the bullet to the case therefore not chambering correctly resulting in fail to fire.
    The 10/22 rifle does not have the feed ramp so they will chamber almost any
    brand .22. By design the round still isn't as reliable as a centerfire . We use the
    oversize Volquartsen striker in our rifles and still change it out every 10k rounds.
    Another concern for me concerning using a .22 for protection is that
    if your using one for like a truck gun or just keep in your car, I have found that
    some .22 not all but some has way more failures in freezing weather.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It wouldn't be my first choice. It can work, of course, but so can a starter pistol.

Con's:
    Reliability (as covered) of rimfire ammo. I'd add that these little guns seem to be more maintenance intensive to run reliably as well, keeping the action lubed and relatively clean. Not the gun for the non-gun person who parks it in the closet for 3 years and then needs it.

Limits of the small, lightweight projectile. As I've mentioned before, I want something that can break large bones reliably. That's been .380 and up. I know in pretend gunfights everyone shoots the bad guy in the face, but that's not how it always plays out.

Pro's
    Inherent advantages of long gun being easier to handle and aim under stress.
    Cost
    Very light recoil

So, what has the same advantages but overcomes some of the disadvantages? As much as I hate to say it...hi-point.

https://www.impactguns.com/hi-point-9mm-carbine-995ts-752334009951.aspx

Sights that are good enough for what we're talking about, a caliber that is much more attractive for self-defense, still very low recoil, and still cheap. They are also not very maintenance sensitive. I used to leave one hung in the feedhouse, which was not climate controlled, and shot pests with it with no issues.

Top Bottom