• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I haven't been yet, but plan to soon. It's supposed to be the story of Mountain Man Hugh Glass. The trailer looks good:

[video=youtube;LoebZZ8K5N0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LoebZZ8K5N0[/video]

Who's been and what did you think of it? Did you go in with any knowledge of the story of Hugh Glass?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It is a good movie. I assume that you, like me, used to read the old mountain man series. I think you will will enjoy it, I certainly did. The wife did too.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I went on Friday night. The movie was great in my opinion. A good hard noses gritty film. My girlfriend however hated it. She was a good sport about it though.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I've read several accounts of Hugh Glass, most notably in "The Life and Times of Jim Bridger" - Jim says it changed his life forever. I'm trying to go tonight, will let you know what I think when I see it.

Jeremiah Johnson is one of my favorite movies, but it doesn't cover the story of John Jeremiah Johnston ("Crow Killer") very closely, yet is still a good story. I'm going in with an open mind.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll probably see since I saw the original version around 40+ years ago. Man, I didn't know I was getting so old.:)

I believe the original was named; Man in the Wilderness or something like that. It may not have been specifically about Hugh Glass but it has to be pretty close to this movie.

JeremiahJohnson, Jeremiah Johnson is one of my favorite movies also.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've read several accounts of Hugh Glass, most notably in "The Life and Times of Jim Bridger" - Jim says it changed his life forever. I'm trying to go tonight, will let you know what I think when I see it.

Jeremiah Johnson is one of my favorite movies, but it doesn't cover the story of John Jeremiah Johnston ("Crow Killer") very closely, yet is still a good story. I'm going in with an open mind.

I can still re-watch Jeremiah Johnson to this day. It was a well done movie. Actors actually acting. No real special effects or distractions. One of my all time favorites.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They say that Leo, the best actor of my generation, may finally get his Oscar for this. It's a shame he hasn't got one already. I imagine he's clued in a lot of people to American History and literature with his films.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They say that Leo, the best actor of my generation, may finally get his Oscar for this. It's a shame he hasn't got one already. I imagine he's clued in a lot of people to American History and literature with his films.

He's come a long way from Blue Lagoon!:) He has really done well and a lot of his movies are worth watching. For me a lot of his films are "sleepers" meaning they don't really grab me with the trailers but when I finally sit down to watch them, I end up really liking them. Like Shutter Island for example.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Good movie. It has one of the best battle seen's in a western, maybe any movie. You will see how Glass had such an impact on Jim Bridger.

What does not make since to me is that the movie is said to be based off a 2002 novel. It was clearly based off A Man In the Wilderness.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I enjoyed the movie very much. it is the kind of movie that I will watch over and over, like The Patriot. There were so many lessons about honor and how it means different things to different men. Some put a price on their honor, while to others honor cannot be sold. It also showed how it's those you least believe will help you are the very people who value their honor and your humanity the most.

I did did walk out of the movie feeling like a little wimp because I thought it was cold. :): I didn't hear mention of how cold it was even while they were walking in the river on many occasions. People were certainly tougher back then.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    When I first saw Leo in one of his early movies I figured just another one dimensional pretty boy. Was I ever wrong, this man can really act in a diverse number of roles. I don't like all his movies but I always like his acting.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I did did walk out of the movie feeling like a little wimp because I thought it was cold. :): I didn't hear mention of how cold it was even while they were walking in the river on many occasions. People were certainly tougher back then.

Gotta agree, I am not sure I would have survived. Seemed as if every day of life could be your last and they just rolled with the hardships as if they were no big deal. Just read War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and those guys were badass.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When I first saw Leo in one of his early movies I figured just another one dimensional pretty boy. Was I ever wrong, this man can really act in a diverse number of roles. I don't like all his movies but I always like his acting.

I hated Leo....then I started to warm up to him with "The Man in the Iron Mask," and then started liking him with "Gangs of New York."

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    It's pretty good. A little "Hollywooded" up, but entertaining. Just don't go expecting something extremely historically accurate. Apparently Hugh Glass had the unlimited ammo cheat code that allowed for multiple shots from a flintlock pistol without reloading.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom